Best teams that DIDN't win their championship

vicfurth

1980 Pitt Panthers, their only loss came during a Noah's Ark scale rain storm at Florida State and they got screwed out of the Sugar Bowl bid because Georgia wanted a easy path to the National Championship so they got the Sugar Bowl to take an overrated Notre Dame squad. The team was loaded with Hugh Green(who got screwed out of the Heisman), and Ricky Jackson leading the defense and Dan Marino, Mark May, Russ Grimm and Randy McMillan on the offense.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really starting to wonder if people start these threads to sit back an laugh at the flood of rampant homerism.

I'm not saying it's right, but I understand. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

-1988 New York Mets

-2004 Auburn Tigers in football (I believe that was the year they went 13-0 and didn't even play in the championship game, right?)

-The year the Ottawa Senators had a great regular season and didn't do so well in the playoffs, I'm guessing 2003?

-You can argue the 1983 Edmonton Oilers as a possible choice, even though they were going up against the 3-time defending champion Islanders in the Cup Finals

and going a little bit obscure here, but

-2008 Duke Blue Devils Lacrosse

That team was stacked and everyone in the lacrosse world thought they were going to be sure fire national champs that year. They couldn't even get past the semifinals in the tournament.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I've always felt that the last few seasons the Phoenix Suns should've won a championship atleast once. That won't happen now, but when Nash first arrived they had all the pieces, it just never fully worked out.

And I'll have to secodn the 2002 Kings, Definetely the best team that year.

I'm really starting to wonder if people start these threads to sit back an laugh at the flood of rampant homerism.

Would you care to join me in saying 1969 Orioles?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I don't know how anyone can say any team BUT the '07 Patriots. They lost one game all year, and it was the title game. There can't be a more appropriate team for this topic.

And I hate the Patriots.

-2004 Auburn Tigers in football (I believe that was the year they went 13-0 and didn't even play in the championship game, right?)

I was thinking the same thing too.

1967 Baltimore Colts (That team went 11-1-2 and DIDN'T qualify for the Playoff)

2000 and 2008 Tennessee Titans

2006-07 Nashville Predators

1990-91 and 1992-1993 Chicago Blackhawks

That 2001 Mariners team that won 116 games, but lost to the Yankees in the ALCS.

I totally second that!

NBA: '93 Suns - Phoenix easily would've won the title in '93 if not for that Jordan guy.

Jordan took away a lot of championships from future Hall of Famers. :mad:

My vote is the 1997-98 Utah Jazz. In fact, I think there was an article on ESPN.com not too long ago claiming the 97-98 Jazz were the best NBA team to never win the title. thcensored.gif

Another vote of mine is last years Sugar Bowl winner, the Utah Utes. If it weren't for the politically driven BSC, they'd have at least one title within the past 5 years, given their two undefeated seasons.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

1999-2000 Cincinnati bearcats basketball team.

It's a big what if, but if the Kenyon Martin injury didn't happen, it may have been at least another Final Four. Martin was the player of the year, Pete Mickeal was an honorable mention for All Americans, DerMarr Johnson was one of the best freshman in the country, Steve Logan was just coming into his own. Ryan Fletcher, Jermaine Tate, and Kenny Satterfield as well. This team was great.

Would you care to join me in saying 1969 Orioles?

Of course...aaaaand, I'll add the 1996 Orioles. That damn Jeffrey Maier! :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I guess I'll do it by sports that I pay attention to:

NFL: 2007-08 Patriots. No need to explain that any further.

NCAAFB: 2004 Auburn Tigers. 13-0 in the SEC, not even a National Championship bid since the #1 & #2 teams from the preseason poll stayed undefeated. Lame, but that's how it goes.

NBA: 2008-09 Cleveland Cavs. Yeah, I'm living in the moment here, but...dammit, that team won 66 games (considering that the best team EVER (96-97 Chicago Bulls) won 72, they were close.), and won all but 1 game at home (I'm not counting that one that they lost to the Sixers at the end since that was basically an exhibition game at that point). In all honesty, they should've at least made it to the NBA Finals.

The 2002 Kings basically had their shot stolen from them by biased officiating in Game 6 and 7 of that WCF. I want someone to convince me that those 2 games were fairly officiated, so I can have a good laugh. The Kings were awesome that year, and it was really a shame how they went out.

MLB: Whoever said 2001 Mariners was dead on. 116 wins and not even a World Series appearance is just ludicrous. That team was steamrolling over cats during the regular season.

NHL: Those Blackhawks teams in the early 90s that didn't win because of that Lemeiux cat. :P

Soccer: '74 & '78 Oranje. You can read any retrospective on those 2 World Cups and unless you're from Germany or Argentina, pretty much everybody is convinced that Holland should've won back-to-back World Cups and were definitely the best team on the field, and only fell since they had to play the eventual champions in their home stadium.

I don't know how anyone can say any team BUT the '07 Patriots. They lost one game all year, and it was the title game. There can't be a more appropriate team for this topic.

And I hate the Patriots.

True, but they did have a whole lotta luck in getting to the Super Bowl unbeaten. I might call the 116-46 Mariners of 2001 were more dominant in their sport, allowing for the nature of baseball, than the 07 Patriots.

Still, I'd rank those Patriots way up there.

Really?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Really?

Did the Preds even win their own division that year?

6uXNWAo.png

Really?

Did the Preds even win their own division that year?

No, they didn't, but then again the suggestion came from Nashville...

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived