NFL Preseason matchups

wdm1219inpenna

For example, it seems like the Rams & Chargers play each other every year. Partly because both used to be LA teams, partly because they both used to look so similar to one another. The Chargers & 49ers play one another because they both have SAN in their name. I realize geography plays a big role too, but like the Chiefs vs Texans, the Chiefs USED to be the Texans, the Patriots & Eagles play one another, both are American symbols, the Raiders & Cowboys play, both have silver helmets, the Jets & Eagles play, both have green as a main color, the Eagles & Steelers play every year because both are in PA, the Lions & Bills play one another often in pre-season it seems because they both have blue animal type logos, the Bills & Bears because both begin with B, the Bucs & Jags because of Florida, likewise when they play the Dolphins, the Dolphins & Falcons play one another it seems because both are from 1966, the Bengals & Saints because both were the last 2 expansion teams before the merger, the Jets vs Rams because Joe Namath was on both teams, Redskins vs Ravens, both start with R, both are in the DC area, Skins & Colts because the Colts used to be in Baltimore, Redskins vs Chiefs because both have an indian motif, Chiefs vs Falcons because they both used to have red helmets, I have this odd obsession to try to figure out why the matchups are what they are in pre-season...the Ravens vs Vikings because both have purple, and so on.....do any of you ever try to see some kind of a pattern with this or am I just a total loon here?

Preseason games are set up by the actual teams themselves and usually scheduled based on a combination of geography, how good of a relationship the teams' front offices have with each other and whether or not they meet in the regular season (teams a far less likely to schedule a team they play in the regular season... though it does happen).

The Packers seem to prefer AFC teams that play on or near the Great Lakes (Cleveland, Indy, Pittsburgh and Buffalo are all common preseason opponents... as are Baltimore and Jacksonville for some reason). The Bears usually play either the Rams or Chiefs (Illinois and Missouri are next to each other).

That's a detailed breakdown. I usually think about geography aslo. It must be a rule teams can't play divisional opponents in the preseason. So we usually see alot of the NFC North and AFC North go at it, and so forth.

That's a detailed breakdown. I usually think about geography aslo. It must be a rule teams can't play divisional opponents in the preseason. So we usually see alot of the NFC North and AFC North go at it, and so forth.

I don't think it's a rule, just common sense. You just don't wanna tip your hand to a divisional opponent in any way, even during preseason matchups. Also why during Week 3, which is basically the dress rehearsal for the real thing, you see the most AFC vs NFC matchups and if they have to play someone in their conference, they play someone that they're not going to play. It's all about getting ready but not tipping your hand in any sort of way.

Preseason games are set up by the actual teams themselves and usually scheduled based on a combination of geography, how good of a relationship the teams' front offices have with each other and whether or not they meet in the regular season (teams a far less likely to schedule a team they play in the regular season... though it does happen).

The Packers seem to prefer AFC teams that play on or near the Great Lakes (Cleveland, Indy, Pittsburgh and Buffalo are all common preseason opponents... as are Baltimore and Jacksonville for some reason). The Bears usually play either the Rams or Chiefs (Illinois and Missouri are next to each other).

The Browns usually end up playing the more historic NFC teams (Pack, Bears, Lions, Giants) as they play them every 4th year

6fQjS3M.png

I did not know that. I thought the NFL scheduled all 20 games and couldn't figure out why Miami's four pre-season opponents are also four of their regular season opponents. All four (JAX, CAR, NO, TB) are pretty close to Miami so geography obviously played a factor in their selection.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I think geography plays a big role in the games. They Ravens frequently play the Redskins, Eagles, and one of the New York teams. I think teams want to cut down on travel time/cost the best they can. Also I think they try to make the games interesting to fans, so they can draw a crowd. The Ravens-Redskins preseason game is usually a big deal (I guess as big as a preseason game can get). I've also seen alot of Eagles fans at Ravens preseason games.

Dallas and Houston have always had a "Governors Cup" preseason game. I don't know what happened to it this year.

Ditto for the Rams and Chiefs, except it happened this year as well. IIRC the Chargers preseason tilt was typically a bone thrown to the old SoCal Rams fanbase. The Rams used to play the Bears fairly regularly, but that stopped a few years ago.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Dallas and Houston have always had a "Governors Cup" preseason game. I don't know what happened to it this year.

Scheduling conflict because the Jerrydome and the Rangers share the same parking lot. Which seems like an odd excuse because they were supposed to play here this year.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports...nt/6335394.html

The Patriots tend to play the NFC East during the preseason. I am pretty sure the last four or five seasons have included at least two games against the Eagles, Redskins or Giants. Occasionally they play another AFC North or Central team, but I think it depends on the regular season schedule.

There is no celebratory game, like a Governor's or Mayor's cup during the preseason for the Patriots, although it could make sense if there was something for the Redskins, since they did play in Boston at one point.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Remember when Jason Sehorn went from being the only white cornerback to ruining his career taking one kickoff return?

Pointless preseason injuries are awesome.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Remember when Jason Sehorn went from being the only white cornerback to ruining his career taking one kickoff return?

Pointless preseason injuries are awesome.

Back in 1989 the Patriots lost three key staters for the season with injuries in a preseason game: Garin Veris, Andre Tippett and Ronnie Lippett.

Granted, it was 1989, and these were the Patriots, so it's not like the playoffs were a habit as they are now. They finished 5-11.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

This season aside, the Falcons usually play some combination of Tennessee, Jacksonville, Miami, Cincinnati, and Baltimore. It's not very often the Falcons travel to Detroit and St. Louis, and for a very strange reason (I think CBS had a hand in it), San Diego is travelling to the Georgia Dome for a preseason game.

That Preseason Week 3 matchup with San Diego does give an interesting test for the dress rehearsal..

This season aside, the Falcons usually play some combination of Tennessee, Jacksonville, Miami, Cincinnati, and Baltimore. It's not very often the Falcons travel to Detroit and St. Louis, and for a very strange reason (I think CBS had a hand in it), San Diego is travelling to the Georgia Dome for a preseason game.

That Preseason Week 3 matchup with San Diego does give an interesting test for the dress rehearsal..

Given the basically totalitarian control the NFL exerts over the teams, it seems very weird that they'd let the teams basically fend for themselves when it comes to preseason. What's the source on that?

In the meantime I'm trying to figure out why the Saints would choose to fly all the way to Oakland for a preseason game.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Scheduling conflict because the Jerrydome and the Rangers share the same parking lot. Which seems like an odd excuse because they were supposed to play (in Houston) this year.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

First step in cancelling the regular matchup?

I hope not. Preseason or not, those tailgate parties can get kind of crazy.

The whole thing doesn't add up. If it was supposed to be in Houston, play it in Houston. Why did the Cowboys choose to fly to Oakland and Minnesota when they could be in H-Town in less than an hour? Smells funny.

The parking lot thing doesn't add up either. Technically the Rangers and Cowboys have their own lots with the option to share.

mappy.jpg

Either way it's just an exhibition, I'll get over it.

newsig.jpg

Tampa Bay almost always plays Miami and Jacksonville. Houston has been in the mix (IIRC) since 2002. For the most part, the 4th team is usually an AFC team, but I do remember the Redskins playing us some years back.

Archived