2010 World Cup Kits

Frankie

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember ever seeing Argentina play in blue shorts with the traditional home tops before.....personally, it looked strange and I prefer the black shorts.....

I don't get it either--the black would clash with Mexico's white shorts just as well as the blues. And England should have worn white shorts (to Germany's black shorts) with the red jerseys. The all red look was a little too Liverpudlian for my taste...

The England red/white kit is classic and one of the nicest ever to grace a football pitch. Glad I wasn't the only one to notice the "scousiness" in the England kits. (Although Liverpool fans probably enjoyed the break from the "Mancunian" strip.)

England went for the all red as a 'lucky' kit after winning in it against Slovenia. Not sure it looks so luck now!

The only explantion for Argentina changing shorts and socks was that they decided that blue socks with the rest of the home strip didn't look good!

I'm not even sure if it was a choice. From the way the World Cup table was organized, it looks as if the group winners were considered to be the "home" team. So, every team that won their group wore their first kit. And if there was a kit clash with the other team, the 2nd place team would wear their second kit. US wore white while Ghana, who also is white, wore their striped away kit. Etc. England were in 2nd place so they were stuck with red against Germany. This pattern applied in the other 2nd Round games. Portugal wore white against Spain because Portugal finished in second.

Only team that I can't quite explain is why Chile wore white against Brazil. Technically, white is their 2nd kit, but Red and Yellow don't clash...so there never should have been a reason for them to wear white. I guess in this case, maybe it was a decision based on "luck," since Brazil has owned Chile as of late and they had always worn red! Didn't work out too well though. :P

But England still could have worn red jerseys and white shorts against Germany and Argentina still could have worn their normal shorts against Mexico.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

My kit predictions.

Uruguay (blue/black/) v. Ghana (all white)

Netherlands (organge/black/orange) v. Brazil (blue/white/blue) although in France '98 when clash kit rules were more relaxed Brazil wore yellow against the dutch orange.

Germany (White/Black/white) v. Argentina (all blue)

Spain (red/blue) v. Paraguay (all white)

I'm suspecting that Argentina will get to wear their primary kit, since they finished the group stage with a higher point total. This could also lead to Paraguay wearing their stripes and Spain wearing navy. I don't really have any proof of this hypothesis; it's just a hunch.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Uruguay (Stripes) v Ghana (Red)

Netherlands (Orange) v Brazil (Blue)

Argentina (Stripes) v Germany (Black)

Paraguay (White) v Spain (Red)

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Uruguay doesn't have stripes, and there's no way FIFA is going to let Spain wear red against Paraguay. Instead I assume they'll be wearing all dark blue.

edit- I think you probably got your -guay's mixed up... it happens

Uruguay doesn't have stripes, and there's no way FIFA is going to let Spain wear red against Paraguay. Instead I assume they'll be wearing all dark blue.

edit- I think you probably got your -guay's mixed up... it happens

I did get my Guay's messed up.

I've been following international football for quite a while now and I still don't know how that decide who wears what. I'd assume Spain would have the first choice in kits and they'd take their first strip.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Awesome, so here are my revised kit predictions

uruguay-2010.gif v ghana-2010.gif

netherlands-2010.gif v brazil-2010-2.gif

argentina-2010.gif v germany-2010-2.gif

paraguay-2010.gif v spain-2010-2.gif

I think you've definitely got two right (Netherlands vs. Brazil, & Paraguay vs. Spain), but who knows about the other two? Ghana might decide to go all red against Uruguay and Argentina might go with some combination of their royal blue (shorts and/or socks).

Have Germany always worn their home black shorts with their away black jerseys? If so, never noticed until now. It looks absolutely horrible. The adidas striping and numbers are gold on the jersey and the stripes and number are white on the shorts (since they're meant to go with the white home jersey). Do they not have black shorts that are meant for the black jersey?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/photos?id=264119&photoId=720333&cc=5901&ver=us#photo_720333

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

So other than the badges, Argentina and Germany had the same exact shorts. I really thought Germany had black shorts with gold stripes.

They need gold stripes on them. Would look much better.

Suprised Argentina wasn't in blue shorts or Germany in white shorts to clash. Jumping ahead (way ahead!) do you guys see a potential Germany/Holland final a kit rematch of '74 as well? (Germany: white/black, Holland: orange/white). Also, as much as I love the Nike "write the future" commercial, I think it's funny how one of the "background" teams , Holland, may be the lone Nike kit in the final. I know the Dutch lack superstars on the level of those in the ads, just think it's ironic on a team play level.

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

If Germany and the Netherlands make it to the final, they'll definitely both be wearing their traditional colours - Germany White shirt black shorts, and the Netherland an orange kit with white shorts.

Have Germany always worn their home black shorts with their away black jerseys? If so, never noticed until now. It looks absolutely horrible. The adidas striping and numbers are gold on the jersey and the stripes and number are white on the shorts (since they're meant to go with the white home jersey). Do they not have black shorts that are meant for the black jersey?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/photos?id=264119&photoId=720333&cc=5901&ver=us#photo_720333

Germany was originally to use white shorts with their black shirts (see below). In their 3rd game vs. Ghana though, they used their black home shorts to create more of a clash with Ghana's all-white kits. Guess they decided to stick with them vs. Argentina. Can't argue with a 2-0 record. That being said, I expect them to go back to white shirts/black shorts vs. Spain's red/blue.

O_680_680_680_2oxo4637.jpg809960617630168497.jpg

Suprised Argentina wasn't in blue shorts or Germany in white shorts to clash. Jumping ahead (way ahead!) do you guys see a potential Germany/Holland final a kit rematch of '74 as well? (Germany: white/black, Holland: orange/white). Also, as much as I love the Nike "write the future" commercial, I think it's funny how one of the "background" teams , Holland, may be the lone Nike kit in the final. I know the Dutch lack superstars on the level of those in the ads, just think it's ironic on a team play level.

It could be that Nike decided to emphasize other national teams because because Holland had such a strong presence in the previous Nike football "Take It to the Next Level" campaign that ran during Euro 2008. Who knows...

If Germany and the Netherlands make it to the final, they'll definitely both be wearing their traditional colours - Germany White shirt black shorts, and the Netherland an orange kit with white shorts.

Do Holland even have white shorts with their current kit? The primary shorts are black and the clash shorts they have worn so far are blue, so if Germany get to wear their primaries, then Holland will be in orange jerseys and blue shorts (unless they have a third white). If Holland get to wear primaries, than Germany should be in all white.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

It could be that Nike decided to emphasize other national teams because because Holland had such a strong presence in the previous Nike football "Take It to the Next Level" campaign that ran during Euro 2008. Who knows...

Do Holland even have white shorts with their current kit? The primary shorts are black and the clash shorts they have worn so far are blue, so if Germany get to wear their primaries, then Holland will be in orange jerseys and blue shorts (unless they have a third white). If Holland get to wear primaries, than Germany should be in all white.

Even if Holland wore dark shorts, German could still wear their black shorts, see Argentina v Germany.

Archived