NFL Pants We Never See

dennisbergan

When was the last time we saw the following's NFL team's pants in a pre-season or regular season game?

-Vikings purple pants

-Cardinals cardinal pants

-Titans white pants

If you were a organization like Arizona or Minnesota, who went to the pains to do a complete uniform re-design in the last few years and had your players model various uniform options in front of fans and media, why not actually WEAR parts of the uniform that were created?

To my knowledge, the Vikings have worn the purple pants ONCE in the last 3 years. The Cardinals wore the cardinal pants some in the 2007 season I believe, but never brought them out in 24 games last year (plus about 10 more this year). The Titans didn't wear the white pants at all in 2008 and haven't worn them at all in 2009 either.

Would it really be all that awful, if the Vikes wore the purple pants with the white jersey every-now-and-then? Or the Cardinals wearing the cardinal pants once or twice in the past 30 games? Or the Titans actually wearing the white pants with the light blue jerseys for the FIRST TIME ever. Would it kill them to do that?

A few other jersey/pant combos that I would like to see (which we NEVER see) on occasion:

-Seahawks wearing the blue pants with the white jersey (I always liked this combo; I understand the white pants didn't look "right" with the dark jersey, but the reverse combo always looked fine).

-Texans wearing the red pants with the white jersey (this wouldn't look bad, with blue socks).

-Chargers wearing the white pants with the white jersey (I just have never liked the new blue pants and that overly wide and obtrusive stripe; it really "cheapens" the look).

-Rams wearing the gold pants with the white jersey (at least they have gotten away from the uniformity that ruined them in 2008).

-Panthers wearing the white pants with the electric blue jersey (would look much better then wearing the dirty grey pants with the blue jersey; it just has never looked right. Plus, they would wear the light blue socks with this combo, which would look much better).

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
-Texans wearing the red pants with the white jersey (this wouldn't look bad, with blue socks).

I'd like to see it. The players seem to be sick of white jersey/blue pants. Of course, the players also seem to like the monotones, so their opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

I thought the orange pants looked good for the Browns every once in a while. Tho, i actually really like the tootsie roll pants with those socks.

cowboys wear silver pants with white jersey! as opposed to the piss in silver pants

Chiefs go all-red!! it would look wonderous

Chargers in all blue or all white, as you mentioned. also, i think san diego could use light blue pants!

Jaguars need to do the black,teal,black look with their current uniform. i loved it when they did it (2002-2006?) also, Jags need to go all white

Here's what I want to see, (some are repeats of what Bergan already said (holy crap) and some are combos that teams have worn before, but not for awhile

Titans: light blue jersey with the white pants

Texans: Red jersey, blue pants, red socks

Chiefs: the Lamar Hunt look, all white on the road.

Chargers: white jerseys, white pants

Cowboys: white jerseys, regular silver pants

Falcons: red jerseys, black pants, red socks. white jerseys, black pants, red socks

Buccaneers: black jersey, pewter pants, black socks OR pewter jersey, white pants, black socks

Jaguars: teal jersey, black pants, teal socks and like said above, I'd love to see them go all white. That road uniform does not need more black

Seahawks: blue jersey, white pants and vice versa

Bengals: when you wear the black pants, please wear the orange socks with them

Jets: I wish they'd switch to green pants on the road full time.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Saints have yet to wear their black pants this year. They're wearing the gold pants with both the white and black jerseys. I like the gold pants better with both sets.

Good to hear. The black pants look was never a good one for the Saints.

I'm glad that the Cardinals don't wear the all-red; it just doesn't look good. However, I think their red jersey/white pants actually look better than their all white road (mainly because of that blasted stripe down the side).

The only uniform that the Saints' black pants looked good were the gold alternates, but I haven't seen them wear those for a long time...even then, they should put some gold (w/white trim, perhaps) stripes on it.

Other looks I'd like to see:

Seahawks--Blue jersey, white pants

Texans--Red jersey, white pants (IMO red should be their main color); maybe red pants/white jersey might look good, but blue pants on the road (with white) work, too.

Bills--White pants with Blue homes, please!! And while you're at it, just go with the throwbacks (or something close) full-time!! I just can't see Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, or Bruce Smith wearing these atrocities that the Bills don now.

Rams--Go with gold, please.

Browns--Wear white pants (or even orange) on the friggin' road. Do those brown pants hide what happens when you see the other team take the field (the way you've been playing this year)?

Chargers--Yes, I'll say it: Go all white once in a while!! (But not all-navy)

Titans--Light blue jerseys with white pants. We know you're not the Oilers...anymore.

Ravens--Dare I say, purple tops with black bottoms? (I wish they'd put a white or gold stripe on those black pants)

Bears--Go all-white, once in a while.

Panthers--Dump the silver pants (maybe helmet, too?) and use white pants full-time.

Bengals, Broncos, Jets, Rams, Seahawks, Bills--All of you burn your dark pants!!

I've used Madden 10's uniform editor to see how an all white Chargers get-up would look. The bold blue stripes with the bolts make it one of the better potential all white looks out there, but I'm still not a fan and I vastly prefer the white-white-blue look.

Yes, I hate monochrome so much even all white bothers me.

Saints have yet to wear their black pants this year. They're wearing the gold pants with both the white and black jerseys. I like the gold pants better with both sets.

Good to hear. The black pants look was never a good one for the Saints.

Actually, the Saints' black pants in the 1970s and '80s that had striping didn't look bad. I'd prefer black pants with the white jerseys if they could find a striping pattern for the black pants that works. I'm just not a fan of the white jerseys-gold pants look because every color in the helmet-jersey-pants set is light. While I appreciate the aesthetic symmetry, it's too bland for me.

As for the Panthers and wearing the white pants with the blue jerseys, I wouldn't like that because the helmets are silver. There's a symmetry there that works.

And I agree with the earlier premise that it makes no sense to overhaul your look and disregard one of the features of the original re-design. That's another thing that bugged me about the Broncos overhaul in '98. IIRC, they introduced blue pants with white jerseys when they were revealed, yet we never saw blue pants with the white jerseys. The only time we see blue pants is a monochrome game.

Of course, when you let Nike (which made NFL uniforms when the Broncos came out with the new set in '98) re-design your uniforms and your illogical side panel is dependant upon a similar side panel on the pants and both have to match, your uniforms are going to suck. That's why so many Nike uniforms suck. And it's ludicrous that the Broncos need two pairs of white pants because they screwed up the jersey execution.

I'd like to see the Vikings and Cards use dark pants with the white jerseys. White jerseys and pants together are a bland look and only a few teams look better with it (the Bears come to mind).

If you were a organization like Arizona or Minnesota, who went to the pains to do a complete uniform re-design in the last few years and had your players model various uniform options in front of fans and media, why not actually WEAR parts of the uniform that were created?

That's something I've railed about many times. All this money and time is poured into market research and getting the colors right...and then they don't wear part of the uniform more than a couple of times. I've noticed this seems to be a problem only with NEW uniforms...there were no instances of teams ignoring part of a redesigned uniform in the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s. Glad I'm a Steelers fan!

-Seahawks wearing the blue pants with the white jersey (I always liked this combo; I understand the white pants didn't look "right" with the dark jersey, but the reverse combo always looked fine).

Another example of the above. If the white pants didn't look right with the blue jerseys, then why did the Seahawks bother to go with that redesign in the first place? Who makes these boneheaded decisions...Dan Snyder??

Of course, when you let Nike (which made NFL uniforms when the Broncos came out with the new set in '98) re-design your uniforms and your illogical side panel is dependant upon a similar side panel on the pants and both have to match, your uniforms are going to suck. That's why so many Nike uniforms suck. And it's ludicrous that the Broncos need two pairs of white pants because they screwed up the jersey execution.

Agreed. If the Broncos got rid of the side panel stripe, then they could even wear orange pants, or wear the navy blue pants with the white jersey, which they cannot do right now. The Bills and Bengals have ridiculous side panel stripes that are a crime against humanity. :cursing:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Being a Bears fan for quite some time now I can remember growing up watching them sport the "all white" look on the road. LOVE THAT LOOK! It doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely works for them IMO. They break them out from time to time but I would love to see them do it fulltime. The navy pants just never looked right to me. God forbid they try the "all navy" look again. Holy Jeebus! thats a bad look.

That's something I've railed about many times. All this money and time is poured into market research and getting the colors right...and then they don't wear part of the uniform more than a couple of times. I've noticed this seems to be a problem only with NEW uniforms...there were no instances of teams ignoring part of a redesigned uniform in the 60s, 70s, 80s, or 90s. Glad I'm a Steelers fan!

You don't necessarily know that it wasn't the case back in the day. For all you know, the Steelers had black pants, white pants, and gold pants, but you just never saw two out of the three. Same with other teams. It's less likely then than it is now, because I think that a lot less effort was put in to team's looks back then, but still...

Another example of the above. If the white pants didn't look right with the blue jerseys, then why did the Seahawks bother to go with that redesign in the first place? Who makes these boneheaded decisions...Dan Snyder??

maybe they just didn't want to "shock" people right away. Making such a radical change is shock enough, but making a change to a permenant monochrome look is a lot for fans to handle all at once, so by unveiling the blue over white, maybe that was just their way of easing people in to the change?

Agreed. If the Broncos got rid of the side panel stripe, then they could even wear orange pants, or wear the navy blue pants with the white jersey, which they cannot do right now. The Bills and Bengals have ridiculous side panel stripes that are a crime against humanity. cursing.gif

I kind of like it when the side panels are done right, and flow in to the pants, but I agree that it should be done in a way that doesn't require multiple sets of the same colored pants. The NE Patriots worked this perfectly - they can wear their navy or silver pants with their white, navy, or silver jerseys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I kind of like it when the side panels are done right, and flow in to the pants, but I agree that it should be done in a way that doesn't require multiple sets of the same colored pants. The NE Patriots worked this perfectly - they can wear their navy or silver pants with their white, navy, or silver jerseys.

I'd maintain that the Patriots are one of the worst offenders of mis-matched side panel-to-pant striping.

They don't flow at all. It looks like one style of striping abruptly ends and a completely different style starts.

Being a Bears fan for quite some time now I can remember growing up watching them sport the "all white" look on the road. LOVE THAT LOOK! It doesn't work for everyone, but it definitely works for them IMO. They break them out from time to time but I would love to see them do it fulltime. The navy pants just never looked right to me. God forbid they try the "all navy" look again. Holy Jeebus! thats a bad look.

As another Bears fan, I disagree. I think the navy pants on the road is the perfect look. Navy-white-navy-white. It is so balanced. Though white monochrome is acceptable, it should still be avoided whenever possible. And these pants were actually "designed"; they didn't take stock colored pants from Eastbay and slap a patch on the hip like the Ravens, Saints, and old Jag unis. Add into that the fact that the Bears now wear the all white with white socks instead of blue how they originally did, and I don't like the look. I actually like the road look with blue pants slightly more than the home uniform.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived