Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

So if the "new Big East" is supposed to be a basketball only conference with the Catholic 7 (plus potential newcomers). What happens to the other athletic programs at those schools that formerly participated in the old Big East? Will the Catholic 7 have to find new conference homes for all their other sports?

It's not basketball-only. The Olympic Sports will be in this league too.

Correct, the Catholic 7 Big East will now be a top-tier non-football conference along the lines of the Atlantic 10 and host all sports but football. The former Big East football schools will keep the slot of the BE conference for football, but all other sports will fall under the umbrella of the America 12/Metro/Whatever Name we come about with Conference.

Has it been said the football schools will keep big East for football? I don't think they would. It's not like the Missouri Valley and Missouri Valley Football Conferences where many of the same schools are in both but not all. Here, they would share no members, but yet share the name?

I think the Big East name is dead in football.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://espn.go.com/n...mbers-7-10-days

The presidents of the Big East's seven Catholic schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's and Villanova -- met with their athletic directors in New York on Wednesday and will announce new membership for the new Big East within 7-10 days, according to a source who had first-hand knowledge of the meeting.

Rumors include Creighton, St.Louis, Xavier, Butler & Dayton with Richmond being a long shot. IMO, I wouldn't be surprised if VCU gets involved in the future. Not now though.

Edited by rvrdgsfn

baltimoreravens.png

I feel like we're in the calm before the storm.

I can totally see a bunch of major football shifts happening this year since it's the last before the playoff system.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I think this will help the storm along. I am sure the SEC really wants the Virginia and North Carolina market.

I'll bet Larry Scott is scrambling in reaction to this. Right now, only the Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12 appear stable enough to host their own networks and this move will likely see the SEC and B1G battling for TV supremacy. The Pac-12 severely shot themselves in the foot with their regional model and distribution problems.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I think this will help the storm along. I am sure the SEC really wants the Virginia and North Carolina market.

I'll bet Larry Scott is scrambling in reaction to this. Right now, only the Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12 appear stable enough to host their own networks and this move will likely see the SEC and B1G battling for TV supremacy. The Pac-12 severely shot themselves in the foot with their regional model and distribution problems.

The Pac-12 distribution problem is only with DirecTV. They possess agreements with four of the five top cable/satellite providers in the US, plus 50+ of the smaller providers (Comcast,DISH,TimeWarner and Cox). DISH and DirecTV were offered the same carraige offer from the conference and DirecTV has balked on it like they have balked on carrying CSNHouston.

Would the A-10 go after Drexel? And would George Mason say yes to them this year? If the 7-10 days announcement is true about the big east adding teams I'm pondering what the A-10 would do cause they stand to lose up to 5 schools right?

Would the A-10 go after Drexel? And would George Mason say yes to them this year? If the 7-10 days announcement is true about the big east adding teams I'm pondering what the A-10 would do cause they stand to lose up to 5 schools right?

Why add a third Philly team when you already have St. Joe's and LaSalle?

Plus the CAA/NBC Sports Network contract featured both George Mason and Drexel. George Mason was on NBCSN seven times and Drexel was on eight times. The TV money for the A-10 is about $300K more, but the A-10 does not have a 14 game football contract with NBC/Comcast and the CAA does for their games on local CSNs and CSS.

You're correct. Al Featherstone is not a blogger, just a Duke alum, former longtime Durham sportswriter who has written books on Duke basketball and just now does freelance work for the school, BlueDevil Nation, and other Duke blogs after his paper's downsizing in 2005.

You're correct. Al Featherstone is not a blogger, just a Duke alum, former longtime Durham sportswriter who has written books on Duke basketball and just now does freelance work for the school, BlueDevil Nation, and other Duke blogs after his paper's downsizing in 2005.

I should say "with content from". A lot of important people quoted in that. Such as current Duke Vice President and Director of Athletics Dr. Kevin White. But the dfw legend holds true.

Plus the CAA/NBC Sports Network contract featured both George Mason and Drexel. George Mason was on NBCSN seven times and Drexel was on eight times. The TV money for the A-10 is about $300K more, but the A-10 does not have a 14 game football contract with NBC/Comcast and the CAA does for their games on local CSNs and CSS.

Well I figured they would want to replace that Philly market with a Philly market and it seems a logical fit, but I had no idea the tv contracts are tied into haveing them and GM in the caa. Is the SoCon gonna go after a new school to replace College of Charleston? Further more I'm shocked the MAAC did not try to kill America East conference when they expanded. They get Albany, stony brook, Binghamton and maybe Vermont/Hartford then the rest of that conference would of gone to the NEC and left UMBC to the patriot. Better schools then Monmouth & Quinnipac right?

Adding a Big 5 (6) team doesn't get you the philly market. It gets you the subset of the market partial to that team. It's very provincial and there's no "catch all" team that unafilliated fans follow.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well I figured they would want to replace that Philly market with a Philly market and it seems a logical fit, but I had no idea the tv contracts are tied into haveing them and GM in the caa. Is the SoCon gonna go after a new school to replace College of Charleston? Further more I'm shocked the MAAC did not try to kill America East conference when they expanded. They get Albany, stony brook, Binghamton and maybe Vermont/Hartford then the rest of that conference would of gone to the NEC and left UMBC to the patriot. Better schools then Monmouth & Quinnipac right?

The MAAC and America East are conferences with different views/missions.

The MAAC is made up of all private schools. Meanwhile after BU leaves and UMass-Lowell enters, the America East will be made up of eight public schools plus Hartford. The America East schools typically have double the enrollment and as a confernce, they are third in overall APR only behind the Ivy and Patriot Leagues. In the last decade, the America East has evolved into a conference which actually makes sense in terms of a schools' geographic location, enrollment and competition.

Well it's still a major tv market area and that is the root of all this is it not?

No, football is the root

Has it been said the football schools will keep big East for football?

The former Big East football schools are NOT keeping the Big East name for their new football conference. Going forward, the Big East name will belong solely to a top-tier non-football conference anchored by the so-called "Catholic 7" schools. The conference comprised of the former Big East football schools will be adopting a name across-the-board for all sports under its umbrella.

I thought a lot of the America East schools were flirting with the idea of joining the CAA IIRC

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Is the SoCon gonna go after a new school to replace College of Charleston?

Yes they are...I heard Kennesaw State and/or North Florida might be joining (the Owls are gonna add football soon, the Ospreys are considering it)

bYhYmxh.png