NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

Can't fault the execution but the Navy Blue/Neon Orange combo looks so dated and tired. The navy on the 1998-2009 logo is even darker than the Navy on the Fisherman Uniforms. The Royal blue is a breath of fresh air and looks particularly good on the Lighthouse logo. Only thing I'd change is eliminating the silver.

The progression of Islanders' Blue:

NewYorkIslandersBlue_1995_SOL_SRGB.pngNewYorkIslandersBlue_1998_SOL_SRGB.pngNewYorkIslandersNavy_2010_SOL_SRGB.pngNewYorkIslandersBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

oooh, nice. any chance you have the pantone breakdown for each of those islanders blues?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kings throwback jersey:

2010-nhl-draft-round-one.jpg

I'm sorry, but that is gawd-awful! I know that being a fan of the Preds' old Mustards, I probably dont have much room to talk...but that is nasty. A good throwback would have been this era's jerseys, IMO: 242.gif.

I always found those to be hideous, even though it was worn by Gretzky I think they made a good choice with what they wore at the draft. Much more historical significance to it.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

Can't fault the execution but the Navy Blue/Neon Orange combo looks so dated and tired. The navy on the 1998-2009 logo is even darker than the Navy on the Fisherman Uniforms. The Royal blue is a breath of fresh air and looks particularly good on the Lighthouse logo. Only thing I'd change is eliminating the silver.

NewYorkIslandersBlue_1995_SOL_SRGB.pngNewYorkIslandersBlue_1998_SOL_SRGB.pngNewYorkIslandersNavy_2010_SOL_SRGB.pngNewYorkIslandersBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

oooh, nice. any chance you have the pantone breakdown for each of those islanders blues?

Of course...how do you think I make these? ^_^ Still, I probably shouldn't be displaying them on a public forum, which is why I replace the Pantone values with "New York Islanders Blue" and stuff like that.

Fascinating, Thanks for posting these.

When you place the values side by side like that it doesnt seem like theres much of a difference between the two shades of navy. Maybe its the teal that offsets the dull nature of the Isles 1998-2009 colour scheme. Since teal wont be coming back anytime soon, im glad they going with the original royal blue. Any chance you could show a comparision of the the different shades of Orange ColorWerx?

Fascinating, Thanks for posting these.

When you place the values side by side like that it doesnt seem like theres much of a difference between the two shades of navy. Maybe its the teal that offsets the dull nature of the Isles 1998-2009 colour scheme. Since teal wont be coming back anytime soon, im glad they going with the original royal blue. Any chance you could show a comparision of the the different shades of Orange ColorWerx?

Sure...here are the three Oranges used:

NewYorkIslandersOrange_1995_SOL_SRG.pngNewYorkIslandersOrange_1998_SOL_SRG.pngNewYorkIslandersOrange_9999_SOL_SRG.png

Always keep in mind that these are the solid/spot colors used for printing. Pantone Textile information is a lot harder to come by for the NHL (although I am working on it)...

Here's a good example as to what I mean in regards to the solid/spot vs. textile colors...the Fisherman-era Islanders uniforms are one of the very few color sets to which I have actual Pantone Textile information. First, are the solid colors (used for printing):

NewYorkIslanders_FRC_1998_SOL_SRGB.png

Next are the Textile colors...note that there are two sets here - the Orange changed between the 1995-1996 and 1996-1997 seasons. And, the bizarre color descriptions correspond with the actual Pantone Textile colors:

NewYorkIslanders_FRC_1996_TEX_SRGB.png

NewYorkIslanders_FRC_1998_TEX_SRGB.png

From today's Vancouver Sun...

"The Canucks will announce Wednesday some of the events they have in store for their 40th anniversary season. Likely among them are a Markus Naslund Night and the unveiling of a special anniversary-issue third uniform."

EDIT: On a related note, GM Place is going to be renamed Rogers Arena LINK

I can haz sig?

Kings throwback jersey:

I'm sorry, but that is gawd-awful! I know that being a fan of the Preds' old Mustards, I probably dont have much room to talk...but that is nasty. A good throwback would have been this era's jerseys, IMO: 242.gif.

True Kings fans, don't care and don't like the "Gangsta/Raider" mentality of adding any black to the uniforms. True Kings fans will always bleed purple and gold. No Kings fan ever wanted the change, it was Bruce "Fraud Millionare" McNall that was just capitalizing on the popularity of the Raiders at that time. That's all it was. Wayne Gretzky would've sold a purple and gold jersey just as well as the black and silver. Don't believe me, just see what Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant have done with those colors!

Didn't they have a "placeholder" version of that logo, after the crown but right before the silver-black was announced? It was basically the same logo, but in purple and gold, and IIRC it wasn't outlined around the wordmark (just the "shield" part was outlined in purple.)

I have hockey cards from Gretzky's first LA year (before he actually played - he's just holding up his new jersey) and they use the logo I'm speaking of.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

iuzdk8tqrm1jrqg6bhfwjpgnq.gif

This? Mothership lists it as the '76-'88 primary, but it was never a sweater crest, which to me is what a primary logo is in hockey (Rags and such excluded).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Not crazy about purple and gold for the Kings. Feels too much like they're merely glomming on the Lakers. Of course, the silver and black combo was glomming on the Raiders, and there's a shaky argument that purple/silver/black was glomming on the Sacramento Kings, but I feel like that heavy use of purple and gold is uniquely Lakers (to preempt you guys, the Vikings hardly use much yellow and are more purple and white).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Of course, the silver and black combo was glomming on the Raiders

That one borrows from the Lakers as well. Look at the motion lines in the word "Kings."

This? Mothership lists it as the '76-'88 primary, but it was never a sweater crest, which to me is what a primary logo is in hockey (Rags and such excluded).

Yeah, that's it. I didn't realize it was a primary logo - I always thought they just used the crest. I thought it was just some quick and dirty that they put together while working on the concepts for the Gretzky-era version.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Kings throwback jersey:

True Kings fans, don't care and don't like the "Gangsta/Raider" mentality of adding any black to the uniforms. True Kings fans will always bleed purple and gold. No Kings fan ever wanted the change, it was Bruce "Fraud Millionare" McNall that was just capitalizing on the popularity of the Raiders at that time. That's all it was. Wayne Gretzky would've sold a purple and gold jersey just as well as the black and silver. Don't believe me, just see what Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant have done with those colors!

Oh the "real fans" argument.

Not crazy about purple and gold for the Kings. Feels too much like they're merely glomming on the Lakers.

And that's a bad thing? If you're going to borrow from any other franchise's identity, at least the Lakers are a successful arena mate.

Anyway, I quite like those purple and gold throwbacks. Makes me wish the Kings still wore those colors to the present day. I've never really been a fan of the black, purple and silver. It's not bad, but the purple and gold was just better, and they're colors you don't often see paired together in the NHL.

No Kings fan ever wanted the change, it was Bruce "Fraud Millionare" McNall that was just capitalizing on the popularity of the Raiders at that time. That's all it was. Wayne Gretzky would've sold a purple and gold jersey just as well as the black and silver. Don't believe me, just see what Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant have done with those colors!

You know, your argument misses one crucial fact:

It was the fact that getting Gretzky and getting the Silver & Black that lead to buying hockey jerseys to be cool in the first part. Yeah, that'll make you target me as a "non true Kings fan," but as a business standpoint the combo and Wayne made jersey sales, across the board, go into figures it had never been before.

BTW, it also helped that Magic and Kobe won a few games too. Can we get a sales figure on Luke Walton and/or Adam Morrison gold and forum blue jerseys please?

Hey, let's look at something.

The Lakers made the change to purple & gold in, according to some hack website, 1965/66. In 1967, they moved to the Great Western Forum, which had purple and gold seats. The Lakers owner, Jack Kent Cooke, also had an expansion hockey franchise, the Kings, who played in the purple-and gold seated Forum, along with the purple and gold clad Lakers. The Kings wore purple and gold.

There's an excellent chance that the Kings weren't really glomming onto the Lakers so much as the owner wanted some congruity between the two teams.

edit: Purple and gold triple crown line picture snipe

charliesimmertriplecrownline.jpg

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Hey, let's look at something.

The Lakers made the change to purple & gold in, according to some hack website, 1965/66. In 1967, they moved to the Great Western Forum, which had purple and gold seats. The Lakers owner, Jack Kent Cooke, also had an expansion hockey franchise, the Kings, who played in the purple-and gold seated Forum, along with the purple and gold clad Lakers. The Kings wore purple and gold.

There's an excellent chance that the Kings weren't really glomming onto the Lakers so much as the owner wanted some congruity between the two teams.

Bingo. Actually I think the Lakers page on the main site is off by a year everywhere except in the uniform section - the Lakers didn't make the change to purple and gold until 1966/67, which was the year before they moved into the Forum and were joined by the Kings.

Don't the current owners also own the Sacremento Kings? If so they are just doing what Jack Kent Cooke did all those years ago - using the same colors for all their franchises.

Archived