wesdog82

Bam! Love em

e0myo5.jpg

2em1m3o.png

The big, bold numbers on back and sleeves: +1

The one-year-wonder white V on the sleeves: +1

The bizarro, yet historically accurate (even back to the WHL days) C and A: +1

The stupid, historically inaccurate neck collar and overall EDGE template: -3

I'm not going to even mention the anniversary patch, which shouldn't even be there... The sum is a wash, IMO. Too bad, Canucks. So close, yet not quite.

I would only give a slight minus for the middle of the "2" not angling downward like it did on the original uniforms. And, by the way, the "V' on the sleeves was a two-year wonder, not a one-year wonder.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bam! Love em

e0myo5.jpg

2em1m3o.png

I'm not going to even mention the anniversary patch, which shouldn't even be there... The sum is a wash, IMO. Too bad, Canucks. So close, yet not quite.

It's an anniversary jersey...so uhh, wouldn't it make sense to have the anniversary patch on it?

70389454.png

They're nice, but I still think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like the stick in rink logo.

Nope, I don't like it. These things are still beautiful though.

I'll say it and take any backlash, but IMO the orca logo is the best one the Canucks have.

6fQjS3M.png

The Predators facebook page is saying that a "major announcement" will be made tonight at their 2010 "Skate of the Union" event.

The comments on the update prove just how few Preds fans have any clue about what is supposed to happen. Only a handful of the fan base seems to know. There's a lot of thinking that Weber will be announced as captain tonight or something along those lines, but I'm going to say there's about a very good chance that this is it.

The event is from 4-8:00 CT.

You nailed it.

Bam! Love em

e0myo5.jpg

2em1m3o.png

The big, bold numbers on back and sleeves: +1

The one-year-wonder white V on the sleeves: +1

The bizarro, yet historically accurate (even back to the WHL days) C and A: +1

The stupid, historically inaccurate neck collar and overall EDGE template: -3

You're being way to harsh.

The collar? What can you do? It's part of the template. It's as accurate as you're going to get.

And the patch? Come on. The uniforms are in honour of the 40th anniversary, so you can't hold the 40th patch being on there against the team.

All in all, Vancouver did a great job. Just replace the old stick 'n rink with the new stick 'n rink logo, make a blue version for home games, and a green flying V alternate, and you have one of the best sets in the league.

You're being way to harsh.

The collar? What can you do? It's part of the template. It's as accurate as you're going to get.

And the patch? Come on. The uniforms are in honour of the 40th anniversary, so you can't hold the 40th patch being on there against the team.

All in all, Vancouver did a great job. Just replace the old stick 'n rink with the new stick 'n rink logo, make a blue version for home games, and a green flying V alternate, and you have one of the best sets in the league.

Agreed. A collar can't ruin a uniform that great. And that 40th anniversary logo is well done.

These new uniforms are tremendous and I REALLY hope they end up using these for a new permanent look.

They're nice, but I still think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like the stick in rink logo.

Nope, I don't like it. These things are still beautiful though.

I'll say it and take any backlash, but IMO the orca logo is the best one the Canucks have.

The Orca logo is good, but unfortunately the Canucks can never use it correctly. It has never been the right colors (currently needs some green IMO) and now has VANCOUVER slapped above it on the jerseys. It's too bad, because it's a good logo.

The Predators facebook page is saying that a "major announcement" will be made tonight at their 2010 "Skate of the Union" event.

The comments on the update prove just how few Preds fans have any clue about what is supposed to happen. Only a handful of the fan base seems to know. There's a lot of thinking that Weber will be announced as captain tonight or something along those lines, but I'm going to say there's about a very good chance that this is it.

You nailed it.

Yep, the announcement of Weber as the new captain was the "major announcement," but before the event, many Preds fans on the message board and especially Twitter were speculating that the jersey situation would be addressed tonight as well. Turns out that was not the case. I'd still expect a jersey change though, as the current 3rd wasn't unveiled until the Preds' first preseason game last season.

Also, the previously yellow walls at Bridgestone Arena were painted white before tonight's SOTU event, so they're definitely phasing out yellow as a team color. Wouldn't surprise me if they finish the walls off with a black/blue checkered stripe before the first face off.

Twitter • Facebook • Instagram • LinkedIn • Tumblr

It's a stick... in a rink. What am I missing here?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Gee, Ice_Cap, sorry you feel I was being too harsh. Guess I can't have an opinion around here. (I kinda chuckle considering it's coming from the guy with the Merrit Paulson avatar...)

But this is my beef. Why attempt a COMPLETE throwback when you use the EDGE template? It completely bastardizes the whole thing. We've seen teams since the inception of the EDGE template use the prior template for throwback jerseys, so that defense can be thrown out the window.

Secondly, if they are going to such extremes to do a COMPLETE throwback, they shouldn't have the anniversary patch on there. It was like the Flames and their throwback last year with the anniversary patch. It ruins the entire look. Just my opinion, you don't have to like it.

And thanks Andrew - for some reason, I only remembered the V's on the first year, but you are absolutely correct!

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

You nailed it.

Yep, the announcement of Weber as the new captain was the "major announcement," but before the event, many Preds fans on the message board and especially Twitter were speculating that the jersey situation would be addressed tonight as well. Turns out that was not the case. I'd still expect a jersey change though, as the current 3rd wasn't unveiled until the Preds' first preseason game last season.

Also, the previously yellow walls at Bridgestone Arena were painted white before tonight's SOTU event, so they're definitely phasing out yellow as a team color. Wouldn't surprise me if they finish the walls off with a black/blue checkered stripe before the first face off.

What makes me think this WONT happen this year is the fact that they are still printing materials with the original Preds logo, with the yellow outline. I think they are phasing out the yellow slowly, but have decided to hold off another year.

On the flip side, however, they were selling the white Road game worn jerseys for cheap last night at the Skate of the Union-only the white ones. Could they be clearing inventory for new jerseys?

Gee, Ice_Cap, sorry you feel I was being too harsh. Guess I can't have an opinion around here. (I kinda chuckle considering it's coming from the guy with the Merrit Paulson avatar...)

Read the member title. My use of Mr. Paulson's picture, that particular picture, in my avatar is a knock against what I feel was his over-reaction and general a$$hatery during the Timbers' crest unveiling.

But this is my beef. Why attempt a COMPLETE throwback when you use the EDGE template? It completely bastardizes the whole thing. We've seen teams since the inception of the EDGE template use the prior template for throwback jerseys, so that defense can be thrown out the window.

Let me ask you something. How many of the Canadiens throwbacks used to celebrate their 100th season/year/anniversary were actually old school wool sweaters? I would venture to guess none of them. When creating a throwback you have to sacrifice a level of accuracy to conform to existing templates and uniform regulations that may not have existed when the uniform was first worn. You can't really hold that against the reproduction of the throwback. They did as accurate a job as possible given the current templates and uniform technology.

Or do you have a problem with the Packers forgoing leather helmets with their latest throwback?

Secondly, if they are going to such extremes to do a COMPLETE throwback, they shouldn't have the anniversary patch on there. It was like the Flames and their throwback last year with the anniversary patch. It ruins the entire look.

The whole thing is to celebrate the team's 40th anniversary. As such the anniversary logo will be everywhere. This is far from the first time we've seen it, and it won't be the last.

As for the Flames, they're losing the anniversary patch on the throwbacks for next season when they become the full time alternates. The same thing will happen in Vancouver if the Canucks decide to keep this throwback around past the celebration of the 40th anniversary. The patches are part of the celebration.

Just my opinion, you don't have to like it.

Likewise. It goes both ways.

You're acting like I posted a hate-filled diatribe against your opinion. I did not. I merely commented on it and gave my own. I know that trying to get the meaning behind another's statement on the internet is hard to do. I've had problems with it in the past, as other members here will attest to. Rest assured though, I was simply stating my own opinion and I was not trying to bury your own.

I'm not the biggest fan of commemorative patches, so no loss for me. I will say, though, that it was neat how the White Sox had a full-time Comiskey Park patch on their home uniforms, from at least the 1980s through 2002. Not sure many teams celebrate their own venue like that. Maybe more should, but then again there aren't many hockey barns worth celebrating in the modern NHL.

The Indians wore a Jacobs Field patch during most of their 90's heyday. Those Indians jerseys were perfection.

1991-2002, I believe. They only wore the park patch full-time during the silver-and-black era. Other patches were just single-season commemoratives, or for the All-Star game. When U.S. Cellular ponied up for naming rights in '03, I don't know why the Sox didn't elect to put the diamond-sock sleeve patch on the home pinstripes. That jersey needs a sleeve patch.

Yep, 91-2002. In 91 it was the innaugeral year patch. As for the diamond sock patch (which I love), it just doesn't work on pinstripes for some reason. The Barons have it on their home unis, and it doesn't look right. I think the jersey looks fine without a patch.

Now, back to hockey. I am not a huge fan of the V's on the Canuck throwbacks. I get it, I understand the uniqueness. It should work, but IMO, doesn't. It looks cheap. Sort of like in the 80's when the Packers slapped their logo on top of the sleeve stripes.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived