NHL 2010-2011

wesdog82

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason there almost seems to be too much white on those sweaters, but I love any look that's more traditional. Good job, Isles!

That's probably because of the lack of an outer blue trim around the crest as originally designed. Whether the Islanders intended it that way, I have no idea. I don't know if they're indeed using their home jersey crests on their away jerseys or if crests featuring an outer blue trim simply didn't arrive in time for the big unveiling. We'll find out in October. :)

Andrew, Terry Goldstein, the Director of Retail Operations for the Islanders (who is basically the head honcho when it comes to uniform design for the Isles) just emailed me. He said the new road jersey is indeed modeled after the 76-77 Islanders jersey. Strange they would set their sights on a jersey only worn for one year as their inspiration, as opposed to going to the dynasty design with the blue border around the crest. Weird.

Anyway, I hope this clears up your question. If you have any other questions regarding the uniforms or details, I guess you can email him at Terry.Goldstein@newyorkislanders.com....i'm sure he'll answer any questions (pertaining to helmet decals, socks, or anything else)

Thanks to you both for pointing that out/clarifying!

And I agree: the lighthouse would make a very acceptable secondary logo.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

8c0db6e3.png

Nice. Somebody's been paying attention...(!)

^_^

(However, all PMS RGB values changed yesterday. For realz. All of my team color swatches and "RGB-optimized" graphics are now out-of-date. Crap.)

Aw, I always liked the ol' tetraslash. Nice abstract reference to the most defining characteristic of Long Island hockey, the four consecutive championships. The Montauk Lighthouse is okay, but not so inspired or intrinsically well-designed as to justify hanging around after the Fishsticks disaster.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also, that nameplate could use some glue.

Haha, I have a game-used Victoria Salmon Kings jersey that had the nameplate replaced and it does the exact same thing.

I take it since the Sharks/Blue Jackets/Wild patches are out that the Penguins have once again decided against an arena patch for this season?

1zgyd8w.jpg

I'm not the biggest fan of commemorative patches, so no loss for me. I will say, though, that it was neat how the White Sox had a full-time Comiskey Park patch on their home uniforms, from at least the 1980s through 2002. Not sure many teams celebrate their own venue like that. Maybe more should, but then again there aren't many hockey barns worth celebrating in the modern NHL.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm not the biggest fan of commemorative patches, so no loss for me. I will say, though, that it was neat how the White Sox had a full-time Comiskey Park patch on their home uniforms, from at least the 1980s through 2002. Not sure many teams celebrate their own venue like that. Maybe more should, but then again there aren't many hockey barns worth celebrating in the modern NHL.

1991-2002, I believe. They only wore the park patch full-time during the silver-and-black era. Other patches were just single-season commemoratives, or for the All-Star game. When U.S. Cellular ponied up for naming rights in '03, I don't know why the Sox didn't elect to put the diamond-sock sleeve patch on the home pinstripes. That jersey needs a sleeve patch.

Oh, and right with you on the tetraslash. I always wanted a hat that only had that patch on the front.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They didn't wear a Comiskey patch through the entire Winning Ugly uniform era? I thought they did.

Nope.

1983's patch was for the All-Star game, 1984's was a player memorial, and 1985's was for the 75th anniversary of Comiskey Park. No one had the time for sleeve patches in 1986, because everyone was too busy being depressed over Hawk Harrelson being general manager.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Even though the four stripes on the shoulder have been jettisoned there's still a subtle nod to the four cups on the jersey. If you recall when the Isles launched their home jersey (as their alt) they added a forth stripe to the hockey stick. I guess that is technically now their primary logo since its going to be the one used on both the home and road jerseys. As for the lighthouse logo that recoloring looks great. I'd rather see it as the crest on an alternate jersey though than as a shoulder patch on the current jerseys.

mets.png

I guess that is technically now their primary logo since its going to be the one used on both the home and road jerseys.

That would appear to be the case. It's being used as the main logo on the Isles' website, as well as on their "Orange VS Blue Scrimmage" event logo, which also features royal blue instead of navy.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

IslesRoadFixed.png

Forget the jerseys but what about this color combo on the lighthouse?

Can't fault the execution but the Navy Blue/Neon Orange combo looks so dated and tired. The navy on the 1998-2009 logo is even darker than the Navy on the Fisherman Uniforms. The Royal blue is a breath of fresh air and looks particularly good on the Lighthouse logo. Only thing I'd change is eliminating the silver.

Kings throwback jersey:

2010-nhl-draft-round-one.jpg

I'm sorry, but that is gawd-awful! I know that being a fan of the Preds' old Mustards, I probably dont have much room to talk...but that is nasty. A good throwback would have been this era's jerseys, IMO: 242.gif.

Can't fault the execution but the Navy Blue/Neon Orange combo looks so dated and tired. The navy on the 1998-2009 logo is even darker than the Navy on the Fisherman Uniforms. The Royal blue is a breath of fresh air and looks particularly good on the Lighthouse logo. Only thing I'd change is eliminating the silver.

The progression of Islanders' Blue:

NewYorkIslandersBlue_1995_SOL_SRGB.pngNewYorkIslandersBlue_1998_SOL_SRGB.pngNewYorkIslandersNavy_2010_SOL_SRGB.pngNewYorkIslandersBlue_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Archived