2010 NFL Draft

Gary

I think its an often badly made judgement by teams and fans that because a guy had an injury last year, he must be injury prone. Not that the Rams will neccesarily protect Bradford better than the OU offensive line!

I think the reason teams go for QBs so often is that if you have the number one pick in the draft, you could be passing on a franchise changing player. Would Suh completely change the Rams' fortunes? It seems that Sam Bradford is more likely to do that, if he turns out ot be worthy of the number 1 pick. I am not sure who the best pick for number 1 is, but I can see the logic in picking Bradford ahead of Suh.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree. OU had serious protection issues. Bradford was crushed by that BYU LB and many players would have been hurt by a hit like that. He then came back too soon and got crushed again when some knucklehead on OU's staff decided a naked bootleg would be a good idea against Texas. Judging Bradford on those injuries would be like saying Drew Brees is "soft/injury prone" because of his shoulder injury and the dislocated elbow he suffered in the Pro Bowl. It just isn't so.

As for whether the Rams should draft Bradford, the QB vs. other positions debate comes down to one thing: if you go with the QB, you'd better be right. This argument went on here in Atlanta last year when they were discussing Matt Ryan. If you take the QB and miss, it sets you back 3-5 years. Not so for other positions.

Severe shoulder injuries are like concussions...once you get one, it becomes easier and easier to re-injure them. Look at what's become of Chad Pennington. Unless Bradford lucks into a situation where he's got a decent O-line and offensive schemes featuring a bunch of 3-step drops (which isn't the Rams), his health will be a question mark.

My bigger concern for Bradford has to do with his ability to play an NFL-style offense with NFL defenses coming after him. Bradford looked great against all those high-school defenses the Big XII had, but folded when he faced a half-decent defense.

I disagree. OU had serious protection issues. Bradford was crushed by that BYU LB and many players would have been hurt by a hit like that. He then came back too soon and got crushed again when some knucklehead on OU's staff decided a naked bootleg would be a good idea against Texas. Judging Bradford on those injuries would be like saying Drew Brees is "soft/injury prone" because of his shoulder injury and the dislocated elbow he suffered in the Pro Bowl. It just isn't so.

As for whether the Rams should draft Bradford, the QB vs. other positions debate comes down to one thing: if you go with the QB, you'd better be right. This argument went on here in Atlanta last year when they were discussing Matt Ryan. If you take the QB and miss, it sets you back 3-5 years. Not so for other positions.

Bradford didn't just have a twice-injured shoulder, though. He had a concussion in 2007 that knocked him out of the Texas Tech game, and had the neurological advances of today been known 3 years ago, would have kept him out of at least one more game, and banged up his throwing hand in 2008. While his protection may have been worse last season, he was still injury prone in years prior to that with better protection.

Of course, Landry Jones played behind this same OU line and didn't appear to sustain injuries either.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Bradford didn't just have a twice-injured shoulder, though. He had a concussion in 2007 that knocked him out of the Texas Tech game, and had the neurological advances of today been known 3 years ago, would have kept him out of at least one more game, and banged up his throwing hand in 2008. While his protection may have been worse last season, he was still injury prone in years prior to that with better protection.

Of course, Landry Jones played behind this same OU line and didn't appear to sustain injuries either.

That's because defensive coordinators wanted Landry Jones throwing the football.

I think Bradford is the real deal. I was actually hoping he'd come out last year because he was my favorite possible QB prospect for the Lions to pick up at #1. While he does have durability concerns, he throws the nicest looking football I've seen in a long time. The ball is in a crisp, clean spiral and he always seems to lead his receivers perfectly. While he may not throw the 100 mph fastballs that Stafford throws, he has plenty of arm strength to throw the 45-50 yard bombs. And besides, what's the point of throwing fastballs if 1) your receivers can't hang on to them or 2) you can't throw them accurately?

On the other hand, I'd wager almost anything that Jimmy Clausen is going to bust. Say what you will, but there was way too much talent on that Notre Dame team for the results they ended up with. And you're telling me that none of that comes down on the quarterback? I just don't believe that Jimmy Clausen has the mind and intelligence to be a NFL quarterback, which is really saying something considering the pedigree he has.

That's because defensive coordinators wanted Landry Jones throwing the football.

I think Bradford is the real deal. I was actually hoping he'd come out last year because he was my favorite possible QB prospect for the Lions to pick up at #1. While he does have durability concerns, he throws the nicest looking football I've seen in a long time. The ball is in a crisp, clean spiral and he always seems to lead his receivers perfectly. While he may not throw the 100 mph fastballs that Stafford throws, he has plenty of arm strength to throw the 45-50 yard bombs. And besides, what's the point of throwing fastballs if 1) your receivers can't hang on to them or 2) you can't throw them accurately?

On the other hand, I'd wager almost anything that Jimmy Clausen is going to bust. Say what you will, but there was way too much talent on that Notre Dame team for the results they ended up with. And you're telling me that none of that comes down on the quarterback? I just don't believe that Jimmy Clausen has the mind and intelligence to be a NFL quarterback, which is really saying something considering the pedigree he has.

Just my opinion but Jimmy Clausen is Brady Quinn part 2

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Just my opinion but Jimmy Clausen is Brady Quinn part 2

I may not even go that far. In my mind, Clausen is a glorified Rex Grossman, only with 3 first-round targets to throw to (Tate, Floyd, Rudolph).

You can't bring up Sam Bradford's injury history without mentioning that Suh's had multiple knee surgeries -- kind of a big deal, no?

In 2005 and 2007, I believe. Judging by his 2008 and 2009 seasons, I think he is fine.

MegatronSig2.jpg

With the draft 48 hours away, there are two NFL writers who have very interesting posts from the last week.

Dallas Morning News' Rick Gosselin covers the NFL and will update his 1st Round through Thursday morning.

Rick Gosselin's DMN Page

Bob McGinn from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel has some excellent stories in his draft series.

McGinn on WR/TE

Based on ability, Bryant probably should be a top-five pick. But his uneven individual workout March 30 in Lufkin, Texas, only exacerbated reservations about his work habits, ability to learn and level of maturity.

This spring, 16 personnel men were asked by the Journal Sentinel what number pick, if any, they would be comfortable selecting Bryant.

Five said that their answer was none.

"Even if he was the only receiver in the draft I would never bring him into the building," a personnel director for a playoff team said. "Our locker room is pretty good right now. He's going to be hard to sign and he's going to be hard to deal with when he gets there. He is what he is, a tremendous player, but I wouldn?t have him on a bet."

McGinn on RB

On draft boards across the National Football League, the big "X" commonly used to denote injury risk is so widespread that decisions on running backs probably will be made more by the medical staff than the football people.

"These guys are all beat up," said Eric DeCosta, director of player personnel for the Baltimore Ravens. "There are about five running backs that are first three-round guys that have failed physicals. It's a concern, and I think a lot of these guys are going to fall."

I know this isn't a link, but via Mike Jurecki of XTRA 910 of Phoenix is saying that the Cardinals have Colt McCoy as their number 1 player of interest in the draft. Sources say the Cardinals aren't really confident how Leinart may do and draft Colt McCoy as a backup just in case Leinart does poorly.

I trust this. There is no one that knows the Cardinals more than Mike Jurecki here in Phoenix, he knows what he's talking about.

Tim Tebow will go in the first round. Not sure which team, but someone will take him on night one.

That'll be my bold prediction for the 2010 Draft.

Why do I have a hunch he'll go to Minnesota?

Someone's gonna trade into the late first round and grab him -- someone like the Cleveland Browns.

Oh God, I hope not in the late first. Even if McCoy's off the board by the trade time. I'd rather take Pike in the 3rd or 4th. The Browns are fairly impressed with him.

Of course, I'd love to see Eric Berry fall to 7, but if not CJ Spiller needs to be the pick.

6fQjS3M.png

Finished my mock today; I don't wanna start a new topic, so I'll post it here.

But nobody else has done so, so I'm kinda hesitant.

01 | Rams | QB | Sam Bradford | Oklahoma

02 | Lions | DT | Ndamukong Suh | Nebraska

03 | Buccaneers | DT | Gerald McCoy | Oklahoma

04 | Redskins | OT | Russell Okung | Oklahoma State

05 | Chiefs | S | Eric Berry | Tennessee

06 | Seahwaks | OT | Trent Williams | Oklahoma

07 | Browns | DE | Derrick Morgan | Georgia Tech

08 | Raiders | DT | Dan Williams | Tennessee

09 | Bills | OT | Bryan Bulaga | Iowa

10 | Jaguars | S | Earl Thomas | Texas

11 | Broncos | WR | Dez Bryant | Oklahoma State

12 | Dolphins | DE | Jason Pierre-Paul | South Florida

13 | 49ers | OG | Mike Iupati | Idaho

14 | Seahawks | RB | CJ Spiller | Clemson

15 | Giants | LB | Rolando McClain | Alabama

16 | Titans | LB | Brandon Graham | Michigan

17 | 49ers | QB | Jimmy Clausen | Notre Dame

18 | Steelers | C | Maurkice Pouncey | Florida

19 | Falcons | DB | Joe Haden | Florida

20 | Texans | DB | Kareem Jackson | Alabama

21 | Bengals | TE | Jermaine Gresham | Oklahoma

22 | Patriots | LB | Sergio Kindle | Texas

23 | Packers | OT | Anthony Davis | Rutgers

24 | Eagles | LB | Jerry Hughes | Texas Christian

25 | Ravens | WR | Demaryius Thomas | Georgia Tech

26 | Cardinals | DT | Jared Odrick | Penn State

27 | Cowboys | OT | Charles Brown | Southern California

28 | Chargers | RB | Ryan Matthews | Fresno State

29 | Jets | DE | Everson Griffen | Southern California

30 | Vikings | DB | Kyle Wilson | Boise State

31 | Colts | OT | Rodger Saffold | Indiana

32 | Saints | DT | Tyson Alualu | California

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I'm really excited for the draft this year. My cousin has a good chance to get drafted (most predictions I've seen are late rounds, it could be earlier or he might not get drated at all), so I care about it a lot more than any other year. So there will be another post here by me the Monday after, hopefully a happy post.

As for the Bears, there's not much to be excited about for this draft. They don't have any early picks, so hopefully they can get some good value in the later rounds.

Who's your cousin? :blink:

Matt Mayberry, Middle Linebacker, Indiana. The most recent stuff I've been seeing is 6-7th Round. And he's talked to a good amount of teams so I'm fairly confident that he'll be pick, but I still wouldn't be too surprised if he doesn't. Either way, I'll have a "second team" to cheer for next week.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Dallas Morning News prints Rick Gosselin's final mock after talking to team sources this afternoon. He expects trades to be made.

DMN Final Mock Draft

I hate that logic. Bradford will not speed up the "get back to the playoffs process" by a single game.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived