Worst uni combo in baseball?

ltjets21

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, those are really bad, of course. The Giants' orange shirts with orange-billed hats represent one of the biggest quality gaps between standard and alternate. Probably the biggest. If there's a bigger step back, it's not coming to me offhand.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's hard to say what's "worst", but the discussion has to include the Rockies black vest w/ black sleeve combo. Their gray pinstripe road is pretty bad too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Dodgers' 1999 alternate wasn't terrible, but they didn't work for the franchise at all.

The Devil Rays, in their early years, wore uniforms that consisted of purple, teal and black. In retrospect, it was a pretty cool and unique combo, but in execution, it didn't look very good. The same might be said of the D-Backs original teal and purple pinstriped uniforms, but to be fair, they DID win the World Series wearing those.

I know you are probably not looking for one-offs... but the Stars and Stripes caps with the Yankees uniforms. The team hasn't worn anything but navy caps with interlocking white NY's in 80 years and then all of a sudden on July 4th last year they wore Red caps. I could tolerate the '08 version because at least those were blue.

What is the lasting visual memory of Derek Jeter breaking Lou Gehrig's all-time Yankee hit record? Jeter surrounding by his teammates congratulating him in Red caps because the game was Sept. 11th.

Those caps are a sick joke, and I'm really surprised the Yankees didn't resist like they do with the majestic logo. Trust me no one would accuse the Yankees of being un-American if they refused.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

It's hard to say what's "worst", but the discussion has to include the Rockies black vest w/ black sleeve combo.

The blernsball vests! Yeah, those are terrible.

Their gray pinstripe road is pretty bad too.

I disagree with this. Then again, I'm still lamenting the loss of the road pins for the Twins, so it's obvious I have questionable taste. (And, since I haven't said this in a long time: I *LOVED* the Pacers' pinstripes.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

What I don't get about the road pinstripes is that while the home uniforms are virtually identical to the White Sox, the greys emphasize purple on the NOBs and numbers. There's no purple on the homes, is there? I can never tell if the pinstripes are purple or black. Some style guides list them as purple but I swear they're black.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What I don't get about the road pinstripes is that while the home uniforms are virtually identical to the White Sox, the greys emphasize purple on the NOBs and numbers. There's no purple on the homes, is there? I can never tell if the pinstripes are purple or black. Some style guides list them as purple but I swear they're black.

They are purple, and personally, I think their roads are far superior to their homes, which look too-White Sox. They own purple in MLB, they should use it. Also, I really don't understand all the y hate for road pinstripes. I have a bigger beef with a lot of the teams that go pinstripes at home and then have some campy 70s style jersey on the road (I'm looking at you Yankees, White Sox, Phillies). But then again, I have a thing for consistency.

As far as worst uni's, I'd have to agree with Quillz on the early Rays unis. (The 90s D'backs are a close second.) As far as current uni's, the Braves all-navy set is pretty awful, along with anything the Black Jays are wearing (except the throwbacks). Also, toss in the road jerseys listed above.

I agree with Bohob. The Braves all navy set is terrible. My silly brother loves them for some strange reason. No red. I really hate the path the Braves have taken with their road look the past few years. Now that we've lost like 7 games in a row now (???) I think we should switch back to road greys and red bills (b/c we rarely wear grey anymore, the navys are pretty much designated roadies).

But, staying in the Ted, how about these? Since we didnt exclude college uniforms from the discussion I found a pic from the UGA vs. GT game played at Turner Field last night.

Georgia has a straight white shirt, and off white pants in a completely diff material. Also, check out the sleeve mess.

This made me sick!

slideshow_1538130_ugagtbase_0428_bs.jpg

I dislike all (and I do mean ALL) pinstriped jerseys. Always have. Always will.

Having said that, the list of jerseys I can find no fault with is shorter by far than the list of the ones I can find fault with. (Also, speaking as an Orioles fan, I hate that they're attempting--yet again--to use the "official" script on the home and alternate jerseys. It doesn't work. It didn't in 1998 and it doesn't now.)

But, staying in the Ted, how about these? Since we didnt exclude college uniforms from the discussion I found a pic from the UGA vs. GT game played at Turner Field last night.

Georgia has a straight white shirt, and off white pants in a completely diff material. Also, check out the sleeve mess.

This made me sick!

slideshow_1538130_ugagtbase_0428_bs.jpg

Thant could be a lighting issue, and a material issue. The jersey is most likely a performance material, which tends to shine a bit more than the flat material pants. The minor league team I work for has a performance mesh jersey and regular pants, so you can clearly think they're 2 shades of white, when in reality they are exactly the same.

The answer is the Padres:

padres-red.jpg

Red cap notwithstanding, I actually like that look. Plus, it pays homage to the ginormous amount of Marines that are stationed/live in that area--one of whom happens to be quite possibly the CCSLC's biggest baseball fan...the one they call "Action" up in here. And shoot...if they can make some extra loot off the side by selling those, then who am I to knock their hustle?

That said, that camo pattern is long outdated. Time to get into the digital age, guys.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived