Worst uni combo in baseball?

ltjets21

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to throw my vote to the Astros. Old timey Western font with a space age name does not work.

I believe the Jays could be fixed with some easy fixes. Blue caps, belts, socks...

Those unis would still be awful, but at least they would be color appropriate for the Jays. Their championship look is still their best by far. Even if they needed to update the logo (which I don't they they would have to), that look is far better and classier than this beveled crap with NASCAR numbers.

I although I love the Astros current colors (I think their entire set is far far better than the Diamondbacks), it isn't appropriate for them. I hope someday they go back to navy and orange, maybe even using orange as the primary again. Of course, that would take the owner selling the team since he reportedly loves the red so much.

I could be wrong about this, but I remember reading somewhere that the owner implemented that red due to it being the color of his trucking company or something along that line?

Yup, McLane Industries.. That'll never be admitted, of course. He is considering selling the team, but only for a ton of money. The team's valued around the $450M mark and he's basically asking for around $650M. He bought the team in 1991 for around $90M. The Astros are actually one of the few professional sports franchises that are %100 owned by one person/family.

McLane_logo.gif

Oh, the Boston greys are terrible. You can't replace a jersey that not only matches your home jersey very well, but was the very uniform that you wore when you won the World Series. Twice, even! And don't give me this guff about how it's a return to form because they used to wear extremely drab navy-on-grey road shirts in the '80s and before. Your form sucked! They were ugly, mismatched, and stunk of failures large and small.

They'll fix them back up in a few years when it's time to make another cash call on Red Sawx Nation.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, Boston's greys are another hated combo of mine, because there's not enough red for a team called the Red Sox. Seriously, it'd be like if the Reds decided to start wearing all-purple uniforms while still keeping the name Reds.

Another thing I loathe about Boston's unis is that while the home whites and red alternates do not have a NOB, the road greys and blue alternates do have one. Either leave the NOB off all of them, or put the NOB on all of them. It just looks inconsistent if some unis have NOB's and others don't.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well, as long as their socks are red, I suppose they're free to implement navy blue where they please. Didn't stop them from trying navy blue socks last year.

They're embracing blackness that they shouldn't have. They should be getting their Grimmace on and rollin' with the purple. The Rockies going with black caps and black jerseys is like Neil Diamond putting on a LA Raiders cap and oversized starter jacket and recording a rap remix of Sweet Caroline with Andre 3000.

Isn't the Rockies organization--and come to think of it, the entire state of Colorado--infested with lots of creepy evangelicals? (Bucfan made some mention of Tebow being good for the Broncos because of all the megachurch weirdos out there.) That's anti-blackness.

The Rockies organization has very few evangelical ties - at least, no more than any other organization. The team is unfortunately still trying to fight off that stupid USA Today article back in 2006 that painted them as a super-Christian organization that traded away the Jewish players and banned anything but the Bible in the clubhouse. It was all 100% made-up, but unfortunately the damage was done.

The "creepy evangelicals" in Colorado are mostly centered around Colorado Springs (aka "Six Flags Over Jesus"). That's the headquarters for Focus on the Family and also features the mega-church New Life.

Everyone on here already agrees with what I feel - the Rockies need to go back to the purple. On a Rockies blog I frequent, there have been some interviews with some of the Rockies higher-ups, and they've said they've unoffically "retired" the purple jersey in favor of the God-awful black vests. Back in 2007, they needed to axe one of the alternates and so they put the purples on the shelf, because the pitchers liked the sleeveless ones better. After the team won the NLCS in the black vests, that was unfortunately the proverbial nail in the coffin for the purple alts.

My vote for worst in the MLB goes to the bright orange alts in San Fran. Disgusting in a bad way.

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Also, speaking as an Orioles fan, I hate that they're attempting--yet again--to use the "official" script on the home and alternate jerseys. It doesn't work. It didn't in 1998 and it doesn't now.

Remind/show me again what the difference is?

Still hoping someone knows this? What's the unofficial Oriole script, and if they use it on uniforms instead of the official one, doesn't that make it official?

Blue Jays - there's so much potential for uni-greatness if they returned to the 97-00 era jay/leaf logo/colors. The dominance of the gray/black don't do this franchise justice.

White Sox - there's just something kind of boring about their uniforms. I can see the appeal in the simplicity, but I just never really grasped what was so great about it. *shrug*

Marlins - they have the same blah feel as the white sox, just with a splash of teal. They don't really forge an identity with their uniforms at all.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Three things which A.J. Pierzynski nullifies, but at least his days are numbered.

I like their uniforms, but the Marlins' and Rockies' variations on them are unnecessary and unwanted. What's clean and simple for the Sox is bland and soulless for the Marlins, but like I've said before, the Marlins don't have a soul.

Three things which A.J. Pierzynski nullifies, but at least his days are numbered.

I like their uniforms, but the Marlins' and Rockies' variations on them are unnecessary and unwanted. What's clean and simple for the Sox is bland and soulless for the Marlins, but like I've said before, the Marlins don't have a soul.

Tyler Flowers: .286BA 4HR 21RBI .940OPS

I am going to throw my vote to the Astros. Old timey Western font with a space age name does not work.

I couldn't understand that whole concept, unless the owner is a closet steampunk fan. They have that steam train in the ballpark that choo-choos for a home run.

Archived