2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

NEW.ERA

German National Team beats up on a bunch of kids

Tell me what the point of having your national team whip on a bunch of kids 24-0? Do you need to validate that you can score without Ballack? Really?

Are you :censored: serious German National Team?? Is this how you prepare for the World Cup?

smdh....I hope Germany crashes out of the World Cup in South Africa.

They could have done better to prepare by playing San Marino than that team.

Or the Cape Verde Islands...

That's different, that was colonial retribution. :D Just wait until Brazil vs Portugal in their last group game on June 25th in Durban, that will be a colonial clash of epic proportions .

Or USA vs England! Colonial retribution at its finest.

Bastards will wish they'd never burned Washington when we're through with them!

(different war, I know.)

Still colonial retribution.

If you guys want colonial retribution, how about Tunisia drawing to France 1-1 this afternoon. :D

qvxym9f.png
Many thanks to Discrimihater for making the sig.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So pumped for this tourney. I've watched the last few WC without a real rooting interest, since Canada is so pathetic. But in '08 before the Euros, I thought since my entire background is German Mennonite, why not throw my support behind Die Mannschaft?

Losing Ballack will hurt but I still have high hopes.

(Plus they have the nicest kits in the tourney.)

50 Burning Questions for the upcoming World Cup.

Took this off Bleacher Report so I thought I'd give my thoughts on each question feel free to do the same. I only did the 10 that mattered to me

10. Will South Africa advance through Group A

Maybe fortunately for the Bafana Bafana they play in the most wide open group at this year's World Cup. Can the youth step up for Mexico, Uruguay may be the best team in South America nobody's ever heard about and there is France who SHOULD win the group but we've seen what can happen to this team in big tournaments. But if the South African's do not advance to the Round of 16 it will be the first time ever that the host nation hasn't advanced through the group stage.

9. What Impact Will Thierry Henry Have on This World Cup?

His hand got France here so I think that's a fairly large impact but for as for the tournament it's self. If France wants to be playing come July they'll have to get solid production from Henry, Ribery can't do it all himself.

8. Will England's "Golden Generation" Finally Live up to Expectations?

Well I have them in the Final so I hope so and if England can usher what France and Italy did in 2006 maybe the old guys can still get it done.

7. How Will the USA Build off of Their Confederations Cup Success?

They may be the biggest question mark when it comes to this tournament. They have the squad that can get them out of the group stage but they aren't quite at the next level when they have to go against probably Germany in the Round of 16.

6. Will the Netherlands and "Total Football" win a World Cup?

When I get my hopes up about these guys they're usually crushed so my expectations are low even though they have probably next to Spain the deepest group of forwards in the tournament. I would feel better about the Oranje if van der Sar didn't hang it up his International boots but if this could be the year the Oranje finally do it.

5. Is Italy Too Old?

We said they were too old in Germany what happened. NEVER EVER count the Azzuri out no matter what.

4. Will an African Nation win the World Cup?

Unlike Europe and South America, Individual Countries won't be cheering on their countries as one but the supporters in Africa will cheer on all the African Nations and it may be the deepest core of African nations the World Cup has ever seen. Ghana, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria and finally the hosts South Africa. Call me crazy but just like what South Korea did in 2002 call it by fluke or whatever it wouldn't surprise me to see any of the African nations in the Semi-Finals........ okay maybe Algeria and South Africa.

3. Which Favorite Will Be Eliminated First?

Spain, Brazil, England, Argentina, The Netherlands, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal, Ivory Coast

These nations are thought to be the best bet to win the whole thing. Out of this list only the Ivory Coast didn't make it through to the Round of 16 in Germany probably because they got placed into a group with the Netherlands and Argentina. France is too easy so I'm going to say Portugal but if you want to make it interesting why not Germany?

2. What Nation will be the surprise of the World Cup (My own question)

Any of the Guay's, Both Uruguay and Paraguay can play with the big boys. The Yanks some say Korea/Japan was their coming out party but they weren't expected to go far - Expectations are huge at least in the US, Europe and South America aren't quite ready to call the USA a world power. But I'm going to say Chile very good qualifying campaign and if they can score at least once on Switzerland they'll be through setting up an interesting Brazil v Chile Round of 16 game.

1. Who Will Win This World Cup?

Probably the most wide open field in recent memory, no new blood all World Cup veterans this year. Spain, Brazil, Argentina the sexy picks. The Netherlands, Portugal they have the talent but can they put it all together. France, Germany, England and Italy quite possibly the most experienced nations in the World Cup and all were intricate in WWII in Europe funny how that works. Spain 1-1 England - Spain wins on Penalties.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'll give it a shot.

Will North Korea score a point in group play?

Possibly, but the North Koreans are going to have to wait and see if the Ivory Coast is still alive for a Knockout Round berth since they are the final foe for North Korea. If the Ivory Coast is still alive, then North Korea is going to get blanked. Should the Ivory Coast come in after getting plastered by both Brazil and Portugal, then you know that the Ivory Coast isn't in the best shape mentally and that's when the North Koreans will strike.

Will New Zealand score a point in group play?

Probably not. I can't find anything positive for the Kiwis here. Italy is the defending champions, Paraguay is a dark horse and Slovakia is a decent European side. If they can score a goal in any of these games, it'll be a moral victory.

The US has announced their final 23-man squad

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Tim Howard (Everton)

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA),Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Jay DeMerit (Watford), Clarence Goodson(IK Start), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan), Jonathan Spector (West Ham)

Midfielders:DaMarcus Beasley (Rangers), Michael Bradley (BorussiaMoenchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Clint Dempsey(Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers),Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus), Stuart Holden (Bolton), Jose Torres(Pachuca)

Strikers: Jozy Altidore (Hull), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles Galaxy), Robbie Findley (Real Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Pachuca).

englands final 23 man roster is set to be announced sometime soon but rumours are:

1 - theo walcott has been cut - what a surprise this is. I thought theo was a lock and also a valuable asset for the team with his runs down the flanks. shaun wright-phillips (who ironically missed out in 2006 due to walcotts surprise inclusion) in in.

2- gareth barry has passed his medical and is determined fit and consequently in the squad - a big positive for capello

3 - the likes of ledley king, steven warnock are in

4- darren bent is out - this means rooney, crouch, heskey and defoe are heading to SA

will have the full roster up when its announced.

Here's England

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

It's a good group

Now lets see who will be that number 1 keeper. If it's James I have my doubts but he's been to the WC before so he may be Capello's best bet.

It's a good group

Now lets see who will be that number 1 keeper. If it's James I have my doubts but he's been to the WC before so he may be Capello's best bet.

Has James been to the world cup before - Robinson was in net in 2006 and seaman was the man before that. Or do yo mean James has been to the world cup as a backup - dont really think that is much help in terms of experience. But James was England #1 in the 2004 European championship if that helps.

Still can't believe walcotts been left off the roster - the pace which that dude has is crazy, and even as a sub off thrle bench his type of play is what wins world cups.

It's a good group

Has James been to the world cup before - Robinson was in net in 2006 and seaman was the man before that. Or do yo mean James has been to the world cup as a backup - dont really think that is much help in terms of experience. But James was England #1 in the 2004 European championship if that helps.

Still can't believe walcotts been left off the roster - the pace which that dude has is crazy, and even as a sub off thrle bench his type of play is what wins world cups.

That's where I remember him playing in a big tournament.

Also James is the only player on the squad that will be playing in the Championship next season.

I'll give it a shot.

Will North Korea score a point in group play?

Possibly, but the North Koreans are going to have to wait and see if the Ivory Coast is still alive for a Knockout Round berth since they are the final foe for North Korea. If the Ivory Coast is still alive, then North Korea is going to get blanked. Should the Ivory Coast come in after getting plastered by both Brazil and Portugal, then you know that the Ivory Coast isn't in the best shape mentally and that's when the North Koreans will strike.

Will New Zealand score a point in group play?

Probably not. I can't find anything positive for the Kiwis here. Italy is the defending champions, Paraguay is a dark horse and Slovakia is a decent European side. If they can score a goal in any of these games, it'll be a moral victory.

I have picked the All Whites to beat:

Paraguay!

Speaking of Dutch, I recently received a jersey as a gift and would like it customized. I have no clue who to get. Any ideas?

I strongly considered "ORANJE" and "10," but I'd like to have other options. Thanks.

Van Persie #9 arguably the best forward the Dutch have.

Elia #17 billed as the future of Dutch football

Robben #11 I have him on my jersey

Sneijder #10 if you want 10.

Not that it's too adventurous but I think either Spain and England will be taking home the cup. And of course I'll be rooting for the Yanks. Every four years you find lots of people around here who root for the Italian team rather than the U.S. because they're "Italian"...despite the fact their knowledge of the Italian language is limited to the names of cheeses and pasta shapes, their knowledge of soccer is little to none, they were born and raised on Long Island, and are not citizens of Italy. :rolleyes: This is just one of numerous reasons I cannot stand Italian soccer.

Archived