What happened to the Larry logo at midcourt?

Quillz

I might have missed it, but during Game 1 of the NBA Finals, I don't recall seeing the large Larry O'Brien Trophy logo at the Lakers' midcourt, only the primary logo. I've noticed this year's Finals patch on the jerseys has changed, so is the Larry no longer allowed on the court?

Because it seems odd for it not to be there, it was a bit of a tradition.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might have missed it, but during Game 1 of the NBA Finals, I don't recall seeing the large Larry O'Brien Trophy logo at the Lakers' midcourt, only the primary logo. I've noticed this year's Finals patch on the jerseys has changed, so is the Larry no longer allowed on the court?

Because it seems odd for it not to be there, it was a bit of a tradition.

I wouldn't really call it a tradition. It was only done for what, 5-6 years?

How was it a tradition? The Trophy was at midcourt since 2004.

Maybe tradition wasn't the right word, it's just that I got used to seeing it (and I don't think the Lakers were the only team that did this.) It was just odd not seeing it this year, because the lack of the logo didn't make it feel like the Finals were here, imo.

How was it a tradition? The Trophy was at midcourt since 2004.

Maybe tradition wasn't the right word, it's just that I got used to seeing it (and I don't think the Lakers were the only team that did this.) It was just odd not seeing it this year, because the lack of the logo didn't make it feel like the Finals were here, imo.

I agree but I kinda disagree. It's weird. As much as I loved the trophy being at center court, I thought it was somewhat tacky and I bet alot of NBA fans out there felt the same way.

bSLCtu2.png

So as noted earlier, the Finals patch on the jerseys are different this year. Coupled with the missing Larry logo at midcourt, has the NBA introduced some new kind of logo package for the Finals?

I'm one who's actually happy that the trophy logo is not at mid-court, not so much because of tackiness but because the trophy and its significance got lost hidden behind the teams' center court team insignia. However, the trophy should remain on the court somewhere somehow, preferably alongside "The Finals" script.

The trophy on court was indeed cheesy. I'm not sure what this year's "The Finals" logo looks like, but just add it on to that and it's fine.

As for the patches, I didn't see the game so I can't comment on how it looks, but I always had a problem with teams that hadn't won the trophy wearing it on their jerseys. Maybe have the defending champ open the next year with it, like how MLB uses the gold-trim jerseys.

I realize NHL does this, but their patch clearly signifies that it's the final series, whereas the NBA was just the trophy. It's kinda like wearing a championship belt to the ring when you're the challenger.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I mentioned both changes (floor logo, trophy patch) in the general NBA thread, but I think they got lost in the shuffle of discussion over where the All-Star Game should be played.

Seems like the trophy logo has been downplayed in general. It's not on the floor, the jerseys or any of the warm-ups. Speaking of which, did anybody else find those shooting shirts last night hideous? Some weird hybrid trying to use team fonts with the Finals color scheme. No thanks.

Back to the floor, though, I'm surprised the NBA hasn't started bringing in custom floors for the Finals. They had THREE this year for All-Star Weekend, so it's not a cost issue.

I have a hunch they might have changed the patch to distinguish this from the series two years ago. Just a theory, but maybe they were planning on using the previous patch and the court decal, but came up with a plan for a second patch and no court decal in case of a "conflict" where it was a rematch of a recent finals series. Remembering back to the Bulls' second 3-peat, they wore the same finals patches in 96 and 97, but the patches were different for the Bulls-Jazz rematch in 98. Maybe they had it planned in advance, but I always figured they wanted to visually distinguish the two series ever so slightly.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The trophy sticker at mid court was the dumbest court design idea ever.

Mainly because it was awkward looking, and to place it around the teams

huge midcourt logos, it was just a big mess on the eyes.

Clashing with the team logo colors etc.

Placing a small version where it says "The Finals" would be enough for me.

sig-1.png

I realize NHL does this, but their patch clearly signifies that it's the final series, whereas the NBA was just the trophy. It's kinda like wearing a championship belt to the ring when you're the challenger.

The new Finals patches the Lakers and Celtics are wearing are exactly this... Instead of being in the shape of the Larry, they are now small circular patches that say "The Finals" on them, implying that this is the Finals, not that both teams won the championship. Before, since each team wore a patch in the shape of the trophy, it might have been confusing to some.

nba_finals_trophy_court.png

I absolutely hated the 'Larry Logo' at first. But as the years went on, I must admit that it kinda grew on me. And now, it's gone. :upside:

Interesting note from that game: There was some sort of problem distinguishing whether a team should've been whistled for a backcourt violation and they couldn't tell because the trophy graphic covered the center court line. By Game 2, they had it fixed.

Archived