2010 NCAA Football Thread

Gary

If this happened to any school other than Ohio State, these players would be out of the Sugar Bowl. Their reason for putting it off until next year is that "they didn't know about the rule". Then why did they warrant a 5-game suspension? If its worth the suspension, its worth a "real punishment". Favoritism rears its ugly head again.

Channeling your inner Mark May? He said pretty much the exact same thing last night on ESPN. That said, if there is going to be a suspension, I agree that they should be suspended for the Sugar Bowl.

Remember the NCAA is about the student athletes and the student goes first, why would they suspend them for a BCS Bowl that will hurt raitings and hurt the student athletes

OK, I'll play devil's advocate here... Is it fair for Ohio State fans to spend a couple grand to travel to the Sugar Bowl only to show up and find out the JV team is playing? Here's the thing, Ohio State University is getting paid for the Sugar Bowl either way. The game is meaningless. Win or lose, the money remains the same for the school. Yes, letting these guys play is basically letting them get away with the violations (the players suspended for five games are all juniors) since they're all just going to enter the NFL draft now. But, it's really not fair to screw the fans who spent all the money to travel to New Orleans. So in this case at least, it appears that maybe the NCAA did consider the fans.

Believe me, as an Ohio State fan I have no problem with their suspensions starting immediately but then again I didn't drop 3500 bucks to travel to New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl. It's the NCAA Francis, they're going to screw this up no matter how they handle it.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe this goes to show that if the Ohio State players feel like they have to sell their stuff then perhaps that means that they aren't getting paid to play football there. Just trying to find a positive here.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So if these rings and other trinkets have THAT kind of monetary value, why isn't the act of receiving them a violation?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hawai'i has six turnovers inthe first half but is still just down by 13. WTF? Their starting QB is channeling is "inner Jay Cutler".

An unfortunate side effect of being in a such a pass happy offense: Turnover prone.

As for the Ohio State issue: It's a bunch of hooey. Why not suspend them for the Sugar Bowl since you found this out before the Sugar Bowl. If it's five games, why not the Sugar Bowl and then, should those juniors decide to come back, the OoC portion of the schedule. I think the whole 'they didn't know about the rule' thing is just another bunch of hooey. If they didn't know this, then why did they do it?

At this point, the fact that those five are still playing in the Sugar Bowl is crazy, but what do I know? I'm just a fan of the game, not one of those old wrinkled farts that run the NCAA.

As for the Ohio State issue: It's a bunch of hooey. Why not suspend them for the Sugar Bowl since you found this out before the Sugar Bowl. If it's five games, why not the Sugar Bowl and then, should those juniors decide to come back, the OoC portion of the schedule. I think the whole 'they didn't know about the rule' thing is just another bunch of hooey. If they didn't know this, then why did they do it?

Because they didn't know that it was wrong to sell something that was theirs? :P

Can't blame that bird, really.....that game was a dull one to watch.

Fortunately for the Air Force....Shreveport is just as dull, so the bird came back.

OK that made me laugh. I was going to go the "the bird just wanted to see something in the air" route and make a joke about two triple option teams but your line was way better.

BB52Big.jpg

Another triumph for boring Big 10 running football over exciting Big 12 football.

I hate teams like Iowa that always seem to pull horseshoes out of their butts.

Yeah, that certainly explains how Iowa blew a 4th quarter lead four times this season. Iowa's really lucky that way. :rolleyes:

BB52Big.jpg

Another triumph for boring Big 10 running football over exciting Big 12 football.

I hate teams like Iowa that always seem to pull horseshoes out of their butts.

No, that was last year's team.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What a BS call on the refs that was not excessive celebration.

It was letter of the law, but C'MON REF. That was a terrible call by the ref. If THAT was excessive celebration, then some people need to be flagged after almost every regular play.

Can't blame that bird, really.....that game was a dull one to watch.

Fortunately for the Air Force....Shreveport is just as dull, so the bird came back.

OK that made me laugh. I was going to go the "the bird just wanted to see something in the air" route and make a joke about two triple option teams but your line was way better.

I'm still trying to figure out after watching the interview on ESPN, how can a falcon be taken on an airplane and someone can't take toothpaste on an airplane. We in the country are so freakin' stupid and so is our government. I could understand this rule if we were England, but come on people!

Archived