Boston Red Sox

Lights Out

redsoxcap1.pngredsoxcap2.png

redsox1.png

redsox2.png

redsox3.png

redsox4.png

Green and red is a very underrated and underutilized combination in sports. Other than the Wild and Bucks and formerly the Devils, I can't think of any modern prominent franchises in major league sports that have ever used this scheme. I knew after I did the Jays that I wanted to do the Sox next, but I struggled to come up with an idea to really change them up. Then it hit me - Boston is proud of its Irish heritage, and on any given game at Fenway, you'll see fans decked out in green Red Sox attire with shamrocks. The Celtics use green. And that gigantic wall out in left field? You got it - The Green Monster. The color green is closely tied into the aesthetics of Boston and the fanbase of the Red Sox. And besides, navy is the Yankees' color anyway. So then, it was decided - navy goes, and in comes a new shade of green entitled - you guessed it - "Green Monster."

The home, road, and red alternate have basically been kept the same, but sleeve piping has been added to the home and road, and the home and red alternate have NOBs. The navy uniform has been replaced with a green uniform with darker green pinstripes - meant to pay tribute to the iconic Green Monster.

The regular cap has been completely changed up to remove navy - it is all red now with a white, green-outlined logo. I also added a white-crowned cap with the hanging sox logo.

Comments? I know this is a radical change but I hope my reasoning makes sense to you all.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I really like this idea, and the unis look pretty good. Two things though - first, ditch the green pinstripes. I think a green uni would be too much of a change from the norm, and I'm not a fan of the pinstripes. Second, I would add green trim to the red jersey for consistency.

Oh yeah, and i really like the white hat. Teams should do that more often...maybe the Marlins will when they move to Miami.

interesting idea you got here (though you forgot the 90s Sonics...loved by many, hated by many). Seeing as I thought the Red Sox' old roads looked better than the current ones do, these roads are an improvement. Having the sleeve piping a different color from the placket piping? Why the hell not, they could claim it as one of their quirks. I can't think of anybody that does that...not in the majors, anyway.

the home jersey, aside from the added sleeve piping and player name, it's essentially a green-trimmed version of what they've usually worn, so advantage: push. The "Green Monster" alt, while I figure you'd get complaints that the Red Sox shouldn't have pinstripes, dark green on light green pins would, in all likelihood, be akin to the shadow stripes on the Patriots' 90s uniforms (and many a futbol club also utilized shadow pinstripes in the 80s and 90s)...basically not that noticeable unless you're holding one or you see it close up. Gotta go with LightsOut and JimmyN64 here on that one. :notworthy:

The caps, I'm tempted to say the white cap should have a red bill, but now I wanna say the red cap should be a greened out version of the 70s cap (green B, green bill) instead, solely because I like that cap. :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Colored unis with pinstripes will look awful unless you going old school momochrome jerseys which would look even more awful.

Really? I think the green pinstriped jersey would look nice with plain white pants.

Pinstripes should be worn top to bottom, like a man's suit. It is still acceptable to wear pinstriped trousers with a solid shirt or sports jacket, but it's never acceptable to wear a pinstriped jacket without pinstriped pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Colored unis with pinstripes will look awful unless you going old school momochrome jerseys which would look even more awful.

Really? I think the green pinstriped jersey would look nice with plain white pants.

Pinstripes should be worn top to bottom, like a man's suit. It is still acceptable to wear pinstriped trousers with a solid shirt or sports jacket, but it's never acceptable to wear a pinstriped jacket without pinstriped pants.

It's not acceptable to wear white from head to toe unless you're Tom Wolfe, but it's done all the time in sports. Uniforms would look really different (a lot of navy tops and khaki bottoms) if we used the regular word as our criteria for sports uniforms. (Not that I disagree with your top vs. bottom pinstripe point.)

Packers-2.png

redsoxcap1.pngredsoxcap2.png

redsox1.png

redsox2.png

redsox3.png

redsox4.png

Green and red is a very underrated and underutilized combination in sports. Other than the Wild and Bucks and formerly the Devils, I can't think of any modern prominent franchises in major league sports that have ever used this scheme. I knew after I did the Jays that I wanted to do the Sox next, but I struggled to come up with an idea to really change them up. Then it hit me - Boston is proud of its Irish heritage, and on any given game at Fenway, you'll see fans decked out in green Red Sox attire with shamrocks. The Celtics use green. And that gigantic wall out in left field? You got it - The Green Monster. The color green is closely tied into the aesthetics of Boston and the fanbase of the Red Sox. And besides, navy is the Yankees' color anyway. So then, it was decided - navy goes, and in comes a new shade of green entitled - you guessed it - "Green Monster."

The home, road, and red alternate have basically been kept the same, but sleeve piping has been added to the home and road, and the home and red alternate have NOBs. The navy uniform has been replaced with a green uniform with darker green pinstripes - meant to pay tribute to the iconic Green Monster.

The regular cap has been completely changed up to remove navy - it is all red now with a white, green-outlined logo. I also added a white-crowned cap with the hanging sox logo.

Comments? I know this is a radical change but I hope my reasoning makes sense to you all.

Like the tartan-plaid Notre Dame football jersey idea, this sounds dodgy, but actually works really well. I don't think the pinstripes on the green jersey work, but I could see the rest done. (And as someone else posted, their current roads are a definite downgrade from the previous version.) Well done, laddie.

Packers-2.png

I LOVE it. Red/green is one of my favorite color combinations so I might be a bit biased, but I think this works really well. Suggestions though - lose the pinstripes on the green alternate, and change the alternate cap so that it has a green crown/red bill. Also, the numbers look kind of small. Other than that though, this looks fantastic.

330zl3b.png

I love the green jersey, pinstripes and all, although if used outside of St. Patty's day, I don't know how I'd feel about it.

You really want to see baseball at Fenway on St. Patty's Day?

(ducks)

Of course, when is there a better time to forget you were in Boston?

TDZiMMB.png

I love the green jersey, pinstripes and all, although if used outside of St. Patty's day, I don't know how I'd feel about it.

St. Patty's Day is in March and opening day is usually in the beginning of April, sometimes late March....

it's unique to see red & green together, i can't think of any teams with those colors

Milwaukee Bucks, Minnesota Wild.

Lose the pinstripes on the green, and I would make the bill of the white hat red, but other than that I actually really like this.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

Archived