2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

Well I've been to two games this year and it looks like more than just a bad start to me. There are too many no name players on defense, and these players are soft, they don't hit anybody and do too much standing around. They have had some injuries and because of Kovalchuk they can't get any help other than these guys who should be playing in the minors. Now if Parise is out for significant stretch I just don't see them turning it around.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised people aren't making more of the revelation that Jeff Vanderbeek pulled rank on Lamoriello--something neither Vanderbeek, the Yankees, or McMullen had done heretofore--in signing Kovalchuk. If this situation gets any worse than it's already been, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lamoriello retire or maybe even be a hockey czar elsewhere. Whether he stays or goes, the Devils are going to live in interesting times.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bruins win, another shutout for Tim Thomas.

6-0 0.50 GAA.

He has the lowest goals-against average of any goalie in the first 6 games of a season in the expansion era.

With his 3rd shutout of the season, Thomas becomes only the 2nd goalie in the expansion era (since 1967-68) with at least 3 shutouts in his first 6 games of a season was Pascal Leclaire in 2007-08 who had 4.

Good start for the regular season.

Yeah, what the hell has gotten into him? And he would have 4 shutouts but he had a total brainfart against the Caps and basically passed the puck to their player leaving the net open -- but he essentially made every save. And Tuukka's 0-2. laugh.gifAnyway, I think I'm in love with this B's team.

+1. Just get rid of Blake Wheeler and Marco Sturm's injury-prone self and you'll not only have valuable cap room, but a bunch of contenders, too! :P

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

I'm surprised people aren't making more of the revelation that Jeff Vanderbeek pulled rank on Lamoriello--something neither Vanderbeek, the Yankees, or McMullen had done heretofore--in signing Kovalchuk. If this situation gets any worse than it's already been, I wouldn't be surprised to see Lamoriello retire or maybe even be a hockey czar elsewhere. Whether he stays or goes, the Devils are going to live in interesting times.

There is a better than 50-50 chance of that happening.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

So the Devils will finally get a black alt jersey? :P

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

LOL devils are in the basement. Brodeur has completely lost it. It's time for new jersey to move on, there are still a lot of good goalies in the FA market *cough* ray emery *cough* and if they sign someone to a 1 or 2 year deal for not alot of money then they can dump Brodeur, pick up a decent goalie and free up some cap space in the process.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

LOL devils are in the basement. Brodeur has completely lost it. It's time for new jersey to move on, there are still a lot of good goalies in the FA market *cough* ray emery *cough* and if they sign someone to a 1 or 2 year deal for not alot of money then they can dump Brodeur, pick up a decent goalie and free up some cap space in the process.

Ray Emery is injured and in danger of his career coming to an end. Not much of an upgrade.

Hi, how are you?

WHAT?! What moron would even think of giving Ray Emery a shot. Hell, John Davidson is a better goalie and I'm talking about the one who's been retired for years. Hell, anyone on this board is a better goalie than Ray Emery! Brodeur is fine. It's what's in front of him that needs adjusting. And if you remember in Atlanta, it was Kovalchuck and no one else. It's the same problem in New Jersey now, they all stand around waiting for him to score. Guess what, until they realize, meaning the other 17 skaters out there, that they have to play too, they'll flounder around. They just need a kick in the arse to remind them that you win with all 18 players on the ice. Now, I see the bigger problem being the lose of Parise. This is a good team, not a great team that is currently trying to find it's identity with a top-flight talented player. Unfortunately when these top-flight talented players come to certain teams, they don't gel as the other players wait for them to do something. Do what you do well, and when everyone's doing that, good things happen.

Blue Jackets go to 7-4 with a 3-0 win over Montreal. Mathieu Garon had the shutout. I wouldn't be bummed out if Steve Mason took a little bench break in favor of Garon. I trust him so much more than mr. bipolar.

PvO6ZWJ.png

So the Isles play lately has been beyond bad. For a team that hadn't lost a game by more than 1 and scratched some nice wins for the first few weeks of the season, they've really hit a rough patch. And these past few games haven't been close to boot.

Well, I guess at least we aren't in the Devils shoes at this point (which will probably change in a week)

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Blue Jackets go to 7-4 with a 3-0 win over Montreal. Mathieu Garon had the shutout. I wouldn't be bummed out if Steve Mason took a little bench break in favor of Garon. I trust him so much more than mr. bipolar.

I will say this much, watching Garon play a few years here in LA, he is a quality goaltender. I'm not saying he's great, just a very solid goaltender that you can trust.

Wow. Just wow. What a fantastic game between the Bruins and Blues. One of the best games I've seen in a while, despite the outcome. The Blues are legitimate threats to win the Stanley Cup if they can keep playing hockey like that.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Must've been a pretty good night around the NHL, there was a pretty good game between Chicago & Chicago South tonight. #1, I see why the Blackhawks won a Cup last year & #2, the Thrashers are really fun to watch when they aren't losing by 3 goals to Columbus.

I will say this much, watching Garon play a few years here in LA, he is a quality goaltender. I'm not saying he's great, just a very solid goaltender that you can trust.

To rain on your parade, I will note that Garon allowed 3 goals tonight against my homestate Minnesota Wild. Being a homer is so fun! :hockeysmiley:

Wow. Just wow. What a fantastic game between the Bruins and Blues. One of the best games I've seen in a while, despite the outcome. The Blues are legitimate threats to win the Stanley Cup if they can keep playing hockey like that.

Interesting. I felt like the Blues were exposed pretty badly as an injury riddled team that lacks scoring threats (even before) injury. I thought the Bruins outplayed them pretty strongly. But the Blues have a great goaltender, some solid depth, continuous effort, and tonight they got some bounces.

They've showed that they're a team to be reckoned with, but they've got some ridiculous injuries piling up. Despite Sharks fans and Bobby Holik's yells, David Perron was not embellishing after the Thornton hit the other night. He came back to play in that game, but was forced to sit out tonight. He has concussion symptoms. Roman Polak is out indefinitely with a sliced tendon in his wrist. Jackman is out 3+ weeks with a knee sprain. Colaiacovo is out with a concussion. If Pietrangelo's wrist injury tonight is anything serious, 4/6 of the Blues opening night defensive core will be down. (He came back and played in OT, apparently, so I'm assuming he's fine.)

If they can fight through those injuries, they'll have a chance to hang around the top 4 in the Western conference. And if someone emerges as a legitimate scoring threat or they make a mid-season move to acquire one--well then maybe they should be looked at as contenders.

They're playing like one now as is, but I'm tempering my excitement. There are still some holes on the team.

To rain on your parade, I will note that Garon allowed 3 goals tonight against my homestate Minnesota Wild. Being a homer is so fun! :hockeysmiley:

3 goals that he had no chance whatsoever to save. Trust me, I was 30 feet from a couple of them. Theodore played really well, but the Jackets played good enough to win last night. It hurts getting nothing from those games.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived