2010-11 NHL Season Thread

Still MIGHTY

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Devils problems will all be solved by....changing the introductory song on the Jumbotron?

No but right now its the easiest thing to change, and the only thing that can be changed at the moment.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

We'd watch 12 girls get slaughtered every night if it meant that we were in the NHL.

Well, I suppose you sorta had one (inhales through clenched teeth, slinks away)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/news/2002/03/20/puck_death_ap/

That, right? That was very shocking, but it made the league enforce protective netting, if I remember.

According to posts from official people on twitter, Lou Lamoriello has confirmed the Devils will retire Scott Niedermayer's #27, and the Ducks will retire his #27 later on this season.

I hope that the Ducks do it after the Devils do. He deserves that honor in New Jersey first. And I had always thought that no matter what, Teemu Selanne's #8 would be the first number retired at the Pond and then Scotty would follow after. Interesting.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

I love this quote from John Tortorella about Alexander Frolov, ?He has to play better, he understands that,? Tortorella said. ?We?ve had a number of conversations.? LA Kings fans are all smiling and thinking, "Ya think?" It was about this time every year we heard that statement about Fro. Now he'll get hot for about 5 games, go cold for about 10, get hot for 8 go cold for 4. It is who and what Frolov is.

To point out something quite obvious to Still Mighty, it's kind of hard to retire a jersey of a player that is still playing, so of course Niedermayer's jersey will go up before Selanne's. Now do I think that his number belongs in the rafters of the Ducks? That's questionable and to be the first is very questionable. If you're going to put a retired jersey up Guy Hebert's should be the first up there. Now if you're talking another player to go up in the rafters before Niedermayer's jersey, that would be Paul Kariya's. I know Duck fans hate him, but remember that it was also management's fault (don't believe all their PR of how bad of a guy or the negotioations were) that he left. The fact of the matter was, he was the face of the franchise until he left. Why is Teemu the face currently? Because he came back and has done well. Yet, before Kariya left, it was Kariya and Selanne. Kariya was the captain, the leader, the talent, and the face of the franchise. He was the one who got Teemu to Anaheim. If it wasn't for Paul, there would be no Teemu in Anaheim. That is one of the first two numbers that belong in the rafters.

I love this quote from John Tortorella about Alexander Frolov, ?He has to play better, he understands that,? Tortorella said. ?We?ve had a number of conversations.? LA Kings fans are all smiling and thinking, "Ya think?" It was about this time every year we heard that statement about Fro. Now he'll get hot for about 5 games, go cold for about 10, get hot for 8 go cold for 4. It is who and what Frolov is.

To point out something quite obvious to Still Mighty, it's kind of hard to retire a jersey of a player that is still playing, so of course Niedermayer's jersey will go up before Selanne's. Now do I think that his number belongs in the rafters of the Ducks? That's questionable and to be the first is very questionable. If you're going to put a retired jersey up Guy Hebert's should be the first up there. Now if you're talking another player to go up in the rafters before Niedermayer's jersey, that would be Paul Kariya's. I know Duck fans hate him, but remember that it was also management's fault (don't believe all their PR of how bad of a guy or the negotioations were) that he left. The fact of the matter was, he was the face of the franchise until he left. Why is Teemu the face currently? Because he came back and has done well. Yet, before Kariya left, it was Kariya and Selanne. Kariya was the captain, the leader, the talent, and the face of the franchise. He was the one who got Teemu to Anaheim. If it wasn't for Paul, there would be no Teemu in Anaheim. That is one of the first two numbers that belong in the rafters.

I understand that Teemu is still playing. But I had always thought that since Teemu is going to retire this year or the next anyways, they could hold off and give him the first number in the rafters.

Hebert was supposed to be the first Duck on the Wall of Fame they were going to build. But when Burke came in and didn't want the team to be associated with the Disney years whatsoever and ordered the take down of the "Mighty Decade" banner (for the better) he also stopped the production of the Wall of Fame. So that never got made and Guy Hebert hasn't been honored anywhere which is a complete and total shame. He was supposed to be the director of alumni operations or something for the Ducks, but I assumed that got axed too. He still lives down here and coaches the Santa Maragarita High School hockey team and shows up at Ducks games from time to time.

And even if it was "management's fault" we can't forget the contract holdouts he had and overly long negotiations that were capped off by the "I imagine myself in a Mighty Ducks jersey in all my Cup winning dreams... unless I want to take $8 million less to rejoin Teemu in Colorado for a better shot at the Cup than the team that just went to Game 7 not even a few weeks ago." Yes, Paul WAS the face of the franchise. But he burned too many bridges in the fans' eyes. The only way that #9 is retired is if Bobby Ryan goes on to be someone with this team that deserves his number up there. Kariya won't be honored by this franchise anytime soon, or probably ever.

Right now the list for retirement is Teemus' #8, Scotty's #27, and then Giguere's #35 will most likely follow once he retires. The only Mighty Ducks numbers I would love to see would be Hebert's #31 or Rucchin's #20, but I doubt there will ever be any eggplant/jade numbers up there. It will probably only be black/orange/gold. It's really too bad the only things that holds up for that era in the building are the inaugural season banner (which is dumb, but I kinda like it) and the 2003 West banner.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Always a good party when Ovechkin and company come in to the Dome. Flames must sure their defensive side of the game up or the angry, slumping Caps will easily have there way tonight.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Niedermayer only spent five years with the Ducks, and for the last three he was either pretending to retire or threatening to retire. I don't think it's of the utmost importance that they put his number up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Always a good party when Ovechkin and company come in to the Dome. Flames must sure their defensive side of the game up or the angry, slumping Caps will easily have there way tonight.

If the Flames are able to implement their defensive strategies, they will surely beat the Caps tonight; however, I anticipate the Caps being more consistent with their all around game tonight. So enjoy the match-up.

If the Flames are able to implement their defensive strategies, they will surely beat the Caps tonight; however, I anticipate the Caps being more consistent with their all around game tonight. So enjoy the match-up.

Yeah..... About that.

facepalm.jpg

The Caps just scored 6 goals in one period of play. This happened in Calgary. Shame on you, Flames.

Blow a 4-1 lead to a desperate Oiler team Tuesday but still hang on. Check

Blow three separate leads to Colorado on Thursday and lose 6-5. Check

Blow a 2-0 lead and then just go in to an utter heart attack on ice, Down 7-2 after two periods. Check

Life isn't very good right now.

I'm shocked it took Bruce this long to put the Carebears together, but its about damn time our offense erupts. It didnt look good for awhile there but for the first time our top offensive players came to play. You can only rely on your grunts scoring for so long.

On a side note its gotta feel good for Mike Green to score in his hometown. Too bad we didnt have our 3rd Calgarian (I just made that up) defenseman playing tonight.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Bruins win, another shutout for Tim Thomas.

6-0 0.50 GAA.

He has the lowest goals-against average of any goalie in the first 6 games of a season in the expansion era.

With his 3rd shutout of the season, Thomas becomes only the 2nd goalie in the expansion era (since 1967-68) with at least 3 shutouts in his first 6 games of a season was Pascal Leclaire in 2007-08 who had 4.

Good start for the regular season.

sig-1.png

Bruins win, another shutout for Tim Thomas.

6-0 0.50 GAA.

He has the lowest goals-against average of any goalie in the first 6 games of a season in the expansion era.

With his 3rd shutout of the season, Thomas becomes only the 2nd goalie in the expansion era (since 1967-68) with at least 3 shutouts in his first 6 games of a season was Pascal Leclaire in 2007-08 who had 4.

Good start for the regular season.

Yeah, what the hell has gotten into him? And he would have 4 shutouts but he had a total brainfart against the Caps and basically passed the puck to their player leaving the net open -- but he essentially made every save. And Tuukka's 0-2. laugh.gif Anyway, I think I'm in love with this B's team.

Any good Junior Prospects in this year's draft? Because the Devils will be picking high.

3-8-1 and now Zach Parise is out with a knee injury.

It's still way to early to be writing off anyones season but so far I'm happy to see them struggling. I hope the remaining of Kovalchuk's deal is filled with many more.

Archived