MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

Ugh, the Mets' one is awful. If you were an alien from another planet, you'd think the Mets' major colors were blue and black, with a hint of orange. Not so. Ugh. I know uniforms are the least of their worries nowadays with the Madoff scandal but still...

Most people I have talked to prefer the emphasis of the blue/black combo rather than the blue/orange one.

I think they are trying to branch out from a marketing stand point, rather than appease the old school fan base.

When I was younger I used to collect MLB hats and one of my all time favorites was the black mets hat with the blue bill. The blue and orange hat always made me think of Billy Crystal.

Hrm...Interesting. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but it looks like you're a younger guy from the west coast. Is it possible (I don't know) that people don't know / care about the significance of blue and orange to the Mets out there. Is it possible that you're viewing this from a pure "fashion sense?" I'm not knocking that; it just strikes me that your thoughts couldn't be more misaligned with what I hear out east. I'm a Yankee fan, but I think the original Mets unis / colors got it right. For some reason, they decide to go black for black's sake. It's really odd. Yes, the Giants had black in their color scheme, but it should not dominate the way it does now. You say they are branching out from a marketing standpoint, but to whom are you marketing ? Does it make one look "tougher" / more "street" to be dressed in black garb? It just looks drab and lifeless to me...Just one man's thoughts.

You 100% correct, it's all from a fashion standpoint.

I would agree that most people I have talked to probably don't know that significance of the original colors. I think the Mets recognized that and wanted something that would have a broader appeal (something that would catch someone's eye in a hat shop with out having to appreciate the history).

I don't think it's an issue of looker tougher, I just think the 3 colors work well together. The black makes the royal blue and orange pop, in a way it makes you appreciate both colors more (at least thats what I have always thought). This is just my opinion, but I think the orange gets lost on the all blue hat.

The black muddles/mutes the blue and forces the orange into a trim color only and practically non-existent. The orange on the blue absolutely pops more (mainly because its actually used) and the black is only BFBS. I'm the farthest thing from a Mets fan, but their identity would be a million times better ditching the black and returning to their original colors, which not only combine the old Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants, but also happen to be the colors of the NYC flag.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh, the Mets' one is awful. If you were an alien from another planet, you'd think the Mets' major colors were blue and black, with a hint of orange. Not so. Ugh. I know uniforms are the least of their worries nowadays with the Madoff scandal but still...

Most people I have talked to prefer the emphasis of the blue/black combo rather than the blue/orange one.

I think they are trying to branch out from a marketing stand point, rather than appease the old school fan base.

When I was younger I used to collect MLB hats and one of my all time favorites was the black mets hat with the blue bill. The blue and orange hat always made me think of Billy Crystal.

Hrm...Interesting. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, but it looks like you're a younger guy from the west coast. Is it possible (I don't know) that people don't know / care about the significance of blue and orange to the Mets out there. Is it possible that you're viewing this from a pure "fashion sense?" I'm not knocking that; it just strikes me that your thoughts couldn't be more misaligned with what I hear out east. I'm a Yankee fan, but I think the original Mets unis / colors got it right. For some reason, they decide to go black for black's sake. It's really odd. Yes, the Giants had black in their color scheme, but it should not dominate the way it does now. You say they are branching out from a marketing standpoint, but to whom are you marketing ? Does it make one look "tougher" / more "street" to be dressed in black garb? It just looks drab and lifeless to me...Just one man's thoughts.

I would agree that most people I have talked to probably don't know that significance of the original colors. I think the Mets recognized that and wanted something that would have a broader appeal (something that would catch someone's eye in a hat shop with out having to appreciate the history).

I don't think it's an issue of looker tougher, I just think the 3 colors work well together. The black makes the royal blue and orange pop, in a way it makes you appreciate both colors more (at least thats what I have always thought). This is just my opinion, but I think the orange gets lost on the all blue hat.

The black muddles/mutes the blue and forces the orange into a trim color only and practically non-existent. The orange on the blue absolutely pops more (mainly because its actually used) and the black is only BFBS. I'm the farthest thing from a Mets fan, but their identity would be a million times better ditching the black and returning to their original colors, which not only combine the old Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants, but also happen to be the colors of the NYC flag.

I doubt Mets management see it as BFBS. From a history standpoint, blue was Dodgers colors, and orange was Giants colors. Unfortunately, black was also a Giants color, and I think that (not marketing fashion) is the motivation for them to use it. That, and I've heard black represents the city at night. They need to remove the drop shadow black off the home, away, and throwback jerseys, and just keep the black alternate they wear 90% of the time anyways.

*Images of favorite sports teams/players*

They added black cuz it was the trendy thing to do. Same reason the Reds, A's, Royals and Rangers all added black. Difference is all those teams have since ditched it and gone back to their original colors (for the most part). The only reason the Mets continue with it is merchandising.

I doubt Mets management see it as BFBS. From a history standpoint, blue was Dodgers colors, and orange was Giants colors. Unfortunately, black was also a Giants color, and I think that (not marketing fashion) is the motivation for them to use it. That, and I've heard black represents the city at night. They need to remove the drop shadow black off the home, away, and throwback jerseys, and just keep the black alternate they wear 90% of the time anyways.

i know for a fact the motivation behind black in the color scheme is for marketing fashion and NOT because of the fact that it was included in the giants' color scheme. i know this because i had a direct conversation with the senior VP of marketing for the mets that told me the black jersey remains because it's their number one selling jersey.

and no, it does not represent the city at night. it represents the fact that everyone in the '90s was putting black into their color scheme and gaining profits off of alternate jersey sales. when most teams realized it had more to do with the fact that the alternate look and solid color had more to do with the increase in sales than the actual color black, most teams took it out. the mets have not because they remain convinced of skewed data.

and no, they don't wear the black alternate jersey 90% of the time. the mets obviously made a more concentrated effort to wear blue last year and wore their snow white jerseys with blue hats (their designated home jersey) the most of their uniform combinations.

just infusing some fact into this debate.

sig2024.png

Dodgers are going to be wearing Brooklyn Dodgers Jerseys on 6 day games this year

VOTE FOR THE BROOKLYN UNIFORM YOU WANT THE DODGERS TO WEAR IN 2011!

i read on uniwatch that the blue jersey will be normal material instead of satin

"They’ll all be worn on weekday afternoons, so while the “satin” throwback might be really sweet, it won’t make much sense if they’re wearing it in the daylight. Paul did some checking and he confirmed that the 1940s throwback, if selected, would be made of modern materials (likely the cool base) although James Huening suggested it’s possible they could also be made from “dazzle.” I’m kind of hoping that one goes down now."

i personally hope the blue ones win, the dodgers would look nice in a blue jersey during day games and havent worn an alternate since 1999 1195836630_9dd2b684a7_o.png

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

Dodgers are going to be wearing Brooklyn Dodgers Jerseys on 6 day games this year

i read on uniwatch that the blue jersey will be normal material instead of satin

"They?ll all be worn on weekday afternoons, so while the ?satin? throwback might be really sweet, it won?t make much sense if they?re wearing it in the daylight. Paul did some checking and he confirmed that the 1940s throwback, if selected, would be made of modern materials (likely the cool base) although James Huening suggested it?s possible they could also be made from ?dazzle.? I?m kind of hoping that one goes down now."

i personally hope the blue ones win, the dodgers would look nice in a blue jersey during day games and havent worn an alternate since 1999 1195836630_9dd2b684a7_o.png

Anyone who plans to vote for this please help this Dodger fan elect the 44 powder blue alternate, I have been watching the Dodgers since I was 9 in 2000 and I have never seen them wear anything except white and grey.

2r2x1lk.jpg

"They’ll all be worn on weekday afternoons, so while the “satin” throwback might be really sweet, it won’t make much sense if they’re wearing it in the daylight. Paul did some checking and he confirmed that the 1940s throwback, if selected, would be made of modern materials (likely the cool base) although James Huening suggested it’s possible they could also be made from “dazzle.” I’m kind of hoping that one goes down now."

Anyone who plans to vote for this please help this Dodger fan elect the 44 powder blue alternate, I have been watching the Dodgers since I was 9 in 2000 and I have never seen them wear anything except white and grey.

2r2x1lk.jpg

I voted for that one, not because you said to, but because I liked it the best. The main reason was because when I think of the Brooklyn Dodgers, I think of THAT cap more than the other two choices.

87Redskins.png

I voted for that one, too. Hopefully that graphic means that MLB has fixed its Cooperstown Collection style guide. All the merchandise either uses this "Boston Red Sox"-inspired logo:

pMLB2-1290593dt.jpg

Or this one. The only Dodgers who were this were the single-A Bakersfield Dodgers.

Brooklyn%20Dodgers%20Cap.jpg

Come on, guys. How hard is this?

brooklyn%20dodgers%20hbo.jpg

66614.jpg

581.jpg

The loops of the "B" are full circles.

I don't know about the black. Certainly the blue and orange combined with the NY Giants "NY" were the "ties" to the two old NL teams in the city. But I don't think black was part of that thinking initially. Now they may have used such reasoning, that the NY Giants wore it, as a cover in recent years for adding so much black to their uniform collection, but it's a cover for the real marketing reasons.

Certainly the blue and orange combined with the NY Giants "NY" were the "ties" to the two old NL teams in the city. But I don't think black was part of that thinking initially. Now they may have used such reasoning, that the NY Giants wore it, as a cover in recent years for adding so much black to their uniform collection, but it's a cover for the real marketing reasons.

Bingo.

Archived