MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But is adding one colored alt jersey a big enough change that they'd have to meet that March/May deadline or could they just add it at anytime?

I would think that any new jersey, outside of one-offs, would be required to have enough lead time for mass-retail production.

The deadline MLB gives is more about giving retailers time to sell off the current stock than giving manufacturers time to produce for retail. Maybe one of the changes they already submitted was to eliminate the black alts. If not, they can keep them in their set for a year without wearing them. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I think some alts were added unceremoniously in the middle of a season. I would assume the Mets would be able to add a blue alt for next year at this late a time. However, as good as the Los Mets alt looks, removing all black would be enough for me.

Yeah the jersey is already made. Just take off "Los Mets" an replace with just "Mets". I know the 1999 Mariners had a navy "Seattle" alt that I didn't see them wear until mid-season when they moved into Safeco. I don't know if they were used earlier and unjust didn't notice or not, but that might be a precedence. Besides they'd still have time to unveil a single jersey. As mentioned they can just not wear the black ones or only on the road and then remove the drop shadows for 2013. That'd be a good compromise until they can drop the black.

Oh man those would make excellent alternates, the blue is gorgeous and imo would be their best looking jerseys. When mitchell and ness remade the Mets (along with many other teams including the phillies and red sox to name a few) 80s blue BP jerseys i thought to myself wow thats a really nice looking jersey, they'd look excellent as alternates, who knows maybe those promo jerseys are a forshadowing of things to come.

Did the Braves' blue jerseys come as a surprise, or am I remembering wrong?

They were a surprise for the most part. There had been some rumblings about another Braves alt, but nothing concrete, and most of those sources were considered unreliable. I think a few people continued to shoot down the "4th Braves Jersey" right up until the game started on ESPN that night.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Did the Braves' blue jerseys come as a surprise, or am I remembering wrong?

They were a surprise for the most part. There had been some rumblings about another Braves alt, but nothing concrete, and most of those sources were considered unreliable. I think a few people continued to shoot down the "4th Braves Jersey" right up until the game started on ESPN that night.

I believe Colorwerx said it was on the styleguide beforehand, but somehow nobody had posted it here.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

As a fervent anti-BFBS guy when it comes to my beloved Mets, this blue alt is just about perfect. But am I the only one who thinks that the orange chest piping looks tacky? The orange piping doesn't match the blue piping on the pants. I like the orange sleeve trim because it so far from the pants that the contrast isn't noticable. The sleeve trim only look works for the Rangers.

For example, I think the piping on the navy Rays alt clashes, while the piping on the light blue alt is good. Mismatched piping is way too common, the worst offender has to be the A's. Gorgeous alt on its own, but horrible addition to the A's overall look.

As a fervent anti-BFBS guy when it comes to my beloved Mets, this blue alt is just about perfect. But am I the only one who thinks that the orange chest piping looks tacky? The orange piping doesn't match the blue piping on the pants. I like the orange sleeve trim because it so far from the pants that the contrast isn't noticable. The sleeve trim only look works for the Rangers.

For example, I think the piping on the navy Rays alt clashes, while the piping on the light blue alt is good. Mismatched piping is way too common, the worst offender has to be the A's. Gorgeous alt on its own, but horrible addition to the A's overall look.

I disagree with you on all of that. I think the placket piping looks just fine in orange (as well as the Rays' light blue piping). It keeps with the same template. I think placket and sleeve piping combined makes the prototypical baseball jersey. It looks great. I dislike that so many teams recently have gone with just sleeve piping and not around the plackets. The Dodgers should have kept the placket piping. The Royals, Indians, Rangers, Orioles and Nationals (road) would all look better with placket piping. The placket piping on the Red Sox's previous red alts made it work (and match the home pants). The current red alt looks like a BP jersey.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I disagree with you on all of that. I think the placket piping looks just fine in orange (as well as the Rays' light blue piping). It keeps with the same template. I think placket and sleeve piping combined makes the prototypical baseball jersey. It looks great. I dislike that so many teams recently have gone with just sleeve piping and not around the plackets. The Dodgers should have kept the placket piping. The Royals, Indians, Rangers, Orioles and Nationals (road) would all look better with placket piping. The placket piping on the Red Sox's previous red alts made it work (and match the home pants). The current red alt looks like a BP jersey.

I see nothing wrong with only sleeve piping. It's one of the "options" for a uniform design. I do think the Mets look better with the full piping. And I agree that it looks best in orange. You can't have blue piping on a blue jersey, so it's fine to switch it to another color. White piping would match the white pants a bit, but I think orange, being the team's secondary color, looks the best.

Back to the piping discussion, I think there are basically 4 primary types of uniforms; pinstripes, full piping (placket/sleeves/pants and maybe even just placket piping, i.e. Tigers, Mariners and Red Sox homes, could fall under this category), just sleeve piping (and pants)which could also include the piping around the collar that a lot of teams are using now, and plain, which is what the Cardinals and A's use for both their primaries, and the Cubs, Dodgers and Red Sox use for their roads. Now the Jays and Astros road and white alts have plain jerseys with piping on the pants. You also have striping, like the ChiSox and Phillies roads, which is a style I'd rather see left in the past. A nice triple piping would look good in place of the striping.

I overthink this stuff way too much.

I see nothing wrong with only sleeve piping. It's one of the "options" for a uniform design. I do think the Mets look better with the full piping. And I agree that it looks best in orange. You can't have blue piping on a blue jersey, so it's fine to switch it to another color. White piping would match the white pants a bit, but I think orange, being the team's secondary color, looks the best.

Back to the piping discussion, I think there are basically 4 primary types of uniforms; pinstripes, full piping (placket/sleeves/pants and maybe even just placket piping, i.e. Tigers, Mariners and Red Sox homes, could fall under this category), just sleeve piping (and pants)which could also include the piping around the collar that a lot of teams are using now, and plain, which is what the Cardinals and A's use for both their primaries, and the Cubs, Dodgers and Red Sox use for their roads. Now the Jays and Astros road and white alts have plain jerseys with piping on the pants. You also have striping, like the ChiSox and Phillies roads, which is a style I'd rather see left in the past. A nice triple piping would look good in place of the striping.

I know what you are saying. I just think packet piping is the most classic baseball look to me. Aside from pinstripes, I think of placket piping when I think of baseball uniforms. I think several teams could benefit from placket piping. I don't really like the ring-around-the-collar look which has become all the rage since the Giants unveiled their current set (which I know was based on a classic '50s-60s set which used the ring). To me, the ring goes against the aesthetic of the button up jersey while placket piping accetuates it. It's a personal thing. I think full piping is fine, placket piping is fine, but I don't like just sleeve piping.

Oh, and I figured my post would draw a response from you, as we seem to usually obsess over the same stuff. ^_^

OldRomanSig2.jpg

No, you don't. Or, at least, anyone here accusing you of that would be kind of insane.

Here's a question, though (and maybe I missed it)...into what category would you put the Phils alternates and the Giants uniforms?

No, you don't. Or, at least, anyone here accusing you of that would be kind of insane.

Here's a question, though (and maybe I missed it)...into what category would you put the Phils alternates and the Giants uniforms?

I personally put them into a subcategory of sleeve piping. It's not thick striping but basically triple piping moved down to the edge of the sleeve. I used to not like trimming on the sleeves because it reminded me of 70's and 80's horror, but the thinner piping looks awesome.

And Roman, I agree with you on full piping being the best "classic" look along with pinstripes, but I think some forms of the others can accomplish this look too with a slight merge into modern. Now the double piping crap that Texas and Washington uses looks like generic Walmart junk that needs to go. You either go single or triple.

Not sure if it is true, rumblings that the Royals are taking the Kansas City off the front of road jersey for next season and using generic Royals script. Likely no more powder blue caps or jersey. Names on back being removed is advocated by G.M. Dayton Moore, but not by ownership.

Not sure if it is true, rumblings that the Royals are taking the Kansas City off the front of road jersey for next season and using generic Royals script. Likely no more powder blue caps or jersey. Names on back being removed is advocated by G.M. Dayton Moore, but not by ownership.

The road jersey would be a shame, if true. Their current road jersey is among the best in baseball (though it would be better with placket piping <_< . Messing that up to put the team name on the front would be ridiculous. A huge downgrade.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The road jersey would be a shame, if true. Their current road jersey is among the best in baseball (though it would be better with placket piping <_< . Messing that up to put the team name on the front would be ridiculous. A huge downgrade.

I hope they get rid of the powder blue caps, but keep the jerseys.

As a Yankees fan since 1967, I never thought I would be in favor of an alt uniform. But I guess I'm mellowing in my old age.

FIrst, no alt at home, ever. People come to Yankee Stadium to see pinstripes. Even with the new ballpark, some things you don't mess with.

But I would not object to a blue road alt, with the only trim being the same sleeve stripes that the gray uniform has now. Interlocking NY on the front in white, and NNOS. It would be worn on Sundays on the road only.

(If anyone insists on doing something alt at home, the only thing I would approve of is an alt cap: White with pinstripes, navy brim and button and navy NY. Again, it would be a Sunday-only cap. I'm not as accepting of this as the blue road alt, but I could live with it.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Would Yankee fans be okay with noncolored alternate jerseys? Such as a cream or regular white pinstriped alt with the YANKEES script across the front?

As a Yankee fan, I'd have to say absolutely not. The only things I'd be in favor of are updating the interlocking NY logo on the home jersey and taking off the white outlines for a rarely used road alternate.

Manchester-City-icon.png

*There IS going to be a change to the road uniform.

*The blue cap is gone.

*Team will still be wearing a baby blue jersey.

Archived