MLB Logo&Uniform changes

UnclearInitial

There's a great passage in Infinite Jest where one of the main characters is a punter for the Arizona Cardinals and has to come on the field with his team while flapping big bird wings together. I always think of that when people get hung up on literal interpretations of nicknames.

The Angels' set isn't perfect. I like the red hats, but the red

A gets lost on the red background, and making the A on the hat white or yellow would compromise the integrity of the actual Big A, which itself has only ever been red. The typeface is starting to get a little sterile to me and I'm seeing a charm to the 1993-1996 scripts that I didn't appreciate. Nevertheless, it's still the best the team has ever looked, after generally looking like Boston hand-me-downs, Disney monstrosities, or forgettable vanilla.

Actually the Big A has only been red in recent years. It was white for most of its existence, from 1966 all the way until 1997 I believe.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it's also been green too. Where is it now? Is it still in the parking lot?

30power.jpg

edison12.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Always so weird to see pictures of Angel Stadium before they added the outfield seats/enclosed it. Just seems so empty and lifeless. The old version was so damn nondescript. And back then it wasn't the greatest of views. I mean yeah you get the Anaheim hills and you can see the mountains farther off on a clear day, and maybe some orange groves, but eh.

But yeah it's out on the edge of the parking lot next to the 57 freeway, just like in that last picture. They give it a fresh coat of red paint every few years. They've also upgraded it with an LED screen for the message board and the Halo is now an LED band. The Halo doesn't just light up after wins now, it will glow and swirl, and over the last offseason they played with the colors (glow red, yellow, white)

SBJ201001112201-01.jpg

I had always wished they moved it back into the stadium when the did the remodel after the Rams left. But it does work really well as the marquee for the stadium. And you can see it still from the 57 (obviously) and the 5, so you can tell if the Angels won or lost. I had totally forgotten that it was ever green too. I know it coincided with Edison's colors when they got the naming rights, but not only does it look ugly like that, it was the A's colors.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Why are memorial patches always a circle? I think the Tigers are the only ones that have a different shape for their patch. (I think it's home plate.)

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

It's a memorial patch. It doesn't need to be "designed". In some ways, a simple black circle stands out and accomplishes its goal better than any fancy design ever could.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One thing the Yankees usually did very well, was the arm band with the number.

I may hate than Yankees, but dammit, they do memorials well.

I imagine when Yaz and/or Johnny Pesky dies they'll do the same: black band, black number. They did that for Ted Williams in 2002.

Williams9Patch.JPG

2002RedSoxHomePatch.JPG

2002RedSoxAwayPatch.JPG

spacer.png

Why are memorial patches always a circle? I think the Tigers are the only ones that have a different shape for their patch. (I think it's home plate.)

The Angels used a diamond for Preston Gomez a couple years back. The Mariners are using an oval for Dave Niehaus this year. The Rangers used a square for Johnny Oates a few years ago. The Braves also used a home plate for Warren Spahn. Last year the Yankees used an oval for George Steinbrenner.

I suspect the Yankees originally planned to have the Steinbrenner patch on the shoulder. However, with Bob Shepard dying two days before, they opted for Shepard on the shoulder and Steinbrenner on the front. (Just my speculation.)

CK3ZP8E.jpg

I suspect the Yankees originally planned to have the Steinbrenner patch on the shoulder. However, with Bob Shepard dying two days before, they opted for Shepard on the shoulder and Steinbrenner on the front. (Just my speculation.)

I like that they put it in such a prominent location. After all, he was the heart of the Yankees, and having his memorial patch over their hearts could be perceived as symbolic of that.

spacer.png

Uni Watch did an article on memorial patches a few years back. It's not MLB, but I always thought this one was interesting:

pg2_g_eaglestripe_600.jpg

It was to honor QB coach Doug Scovil, who died of a heart attack.

This doesn't deserve its own thread, but it looks like the Mets are going to be wearing their BP jerseys for game 2 tonight vs Florida.

EDIT: Blue BP jerseys, all-black hats, non-pinstriped white pants. Looks awful.

This doesn't deserve its own thread, but it looks like the Mets are going to be wearing their BP jerseys for game 2 tonight vs Florida.

EDIT: Blue BP jerseys, all-black hats, non-pinstriped white pants. Looks awful.

Might've looked better if they actually wore the BP caps with them.

IeHVybT.png

Archived