The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

Love, love, love the deal.

Napoli crushes lefties and will platoon with Moreland at first as well as play a few days behind the plate. He was the exact missing piece the team's offense needed, and with the acquisition of Rhodes, as well as the emergence of Ogando, Francisco was very expendable.

God damn, I am grinning right now.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Francisco is a Good-not-Great RH reliever, which the Jays 'pen is already stocked full of (Frasor, Dotel, Rauch). So I'm not sure what the rationale is here.

But Alex Anthopolous just traded one of the top 5 worst contracts in sports history without sending any money. He damn well gets the benefit of the doubt on small deals like this.

Napoli crushes lefties and will platoon with Moreland at first as well as play a few days behind the plate. He was the exact missing piece the team's offense needed, and with the acquisition of Rhodes, as well as the emergence of Ogando, Francisco was very expendable.

Except when he doesn't.

Now look, I loved Nap. I was planning on getting his name/number on my jersey this season (So much for that. I held off the past two years for the reason he had always been dangled in trades). But when he slumps, he slumps hard. And the only way he gets out of it is just by playing through it. He also gets into his grooves by playing everyday. So the idea of platooning him at first/catcher may not work out as well as you want it to.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Except when he doesn't.

Last year, he had a .416 wOBA against lefties... .397 for his career. That is the definition of crushing lefties. He should only face righties in emergency situations, but as a pure platoon player he will rake.

Except when he doesn't.

Last year, he had a .416 wOBA against lefties... .397 for his career. That is the definition of crushing lefties. He should only face righties in emergency situations, but as a pure platoon player he will rake.

I know what the stats are. But like I said, when's he's hot he crushes everything. When he's not, he hits very little.

And again like I said, he gets on his hot streaks when he's playing everyday. Platooning him breaks up those streaks and could very well end them.

Francisco is a Good-not-Great RH reliever, which the Jays 'pen is already stocked full of (Frasor, Dotel, Rauch). So I'm not sure what the rationale is here.

But Alex Anthopolous just traded one of the top 5 worst contracts in sports history without sending any money. He damn well gets the benefit of the doubt on small deals like this.

The rationale is, you can't get enough adequate relief pitching...

I saw, I came, I left.

Believe me, I've thought Napoli was going to crush the ball for years now. I'm still waiting for him to actually do it (well, I guess not now, obviously :D )

For those of you who missed it, the MLB's top prospect list:

1. Mike Trout, Angels

2. Jeremy Hellickson, Rays

3. Bryce Harper, Nationals

4. Domonic Brown, Phillies

5. Dustin Ackley, Mariners

6. Aroldis Chapman, Reds

7. Mike Moustakas, Royals

8. Eric Hosmer, Royals

9. Jesus Montero, Yankees

10. Julio Teheran, Braves

11. Desmond Jennings, Rays

12. Kyle Drabek, Blue Jays

13. Michael Pineda, Mariners

14. Mike Montgomery, Royals

15. Jacob Turner, Tigers

16. Wil Myers, Royals

17. Freddie Freeman, Braves

18. Jameson Taillon, Pirates

19. Zach Britton, Orioles

20. Shelby Miller, Cardinals

21. Mike Minor, Braves

22. Casey Kelly, Padres

23. Martin Perez, Rangers

24. Manny Machado, Orioles

25. Chris Sale, White Sox

26. Brandon Belt, Giants

27. Matt Moore, Rays

28. Brett Lawrie, Blue Jays

29. Jarrod Parker, D-backs

30. Jonathan Singleton, Phillies

31. Jordan Lyles, Astros

32. Gary Sanchez, Yankees

33. Tyler Matzek, Rockies

34. John Lamb, Royals

35. Manny Banuelos, Yankees

36. Lonnie Chisenhall, Indians

37. Jake Odorizzi, Royals

38. Nick Franklin, Mariners

39. Aaron Hicks, Twins

40. Kyle Gibson, Twins

41. Wilin Rosario, Rockies

42. Jose Iglesias, Red Sox

43. Tanner Scheppers, Rangers

44. Dee Gordon, Dodgers

45. Devin Mesoraco, Reds

46. Brett Jackson, Cubs

47. Chris Archer, Rays

48. J.P. Arencibia, Blue Jays

49. Yonder Alonso, Reds

50. Christian Friedrich, Rockies

Looks like it might be a good thing to be a Royals' fan, as they have 6 on the list.

1. Mike Trout, Angels

---

34. John Lamb, Royals

Looks like it might be a good thing to be a Royals' fan, as they have 6 on the list.

First, awesome to see Trout as the #1 guy. I can not wait to see this guy at Spring Training here in Tempe and hopefully during the season.

Second, I went to high school him John Lamb. That's pretty damn crazy. Especially just knowing him in high school, it's really funny to see him on a Top 50 prospects list. That's crazy. Good for him.

1. Mike Trout, Angels

---

34. John Lamb, Royals

First, awesome to see Trout as the #1 guy. I can not wait to see this guy at Spring Training here in Tempe and hopefully during the season.

Second, I went to high school him John Lamb. That's pretty damn crazy. Especially just knowing him in high school, it's really funny to see him on a Top 50 prospects list. That's crazy. Good for him.

Strangely enough, I also went to high school with a Royals prospect. He's not on the top prospects list, but he made the 40-man roster.

Longtime Yankees and Astros SP Andy Pettite to announce his retirement.

A combination of AJ Burnett, Sergio Mitre, Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon and Ivan Nova will make up 60% of the Yankees rotation this year. I can't be more pleased about this.

White Sox sign Lastings Milledge to a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training. Fourth outfielder? Or paving the way for a possible Carlos Quentin deal? We'll see.

Longtime Yankees and Astros SP Andy Pettite to announce his retirement.

A combination of AJ Burnett, Sergio Mitre, Freddy Garcia, Bartolo Colon and Ivan Nova will make up 60% of the Yankees rotation this year. I can't be more pleased about this.

They'll just buy a starter from a non-contender at the trade deadline.

Archived