The 2010-2011 MLB Offseason Thread

AnythingChicago

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although even then, I'd say hate is a big word... the only MLB teams I hate are the Angels and the Mother:censored:ing Yankees. I just argue baseball a lot, and when I think a team's doing something stupid, I usually comment on it (with a lot of profanity, but that's something hardly limited to baseball discussion). When a team does something stupid on what seems like a regular basis, it might appear I hate them, I guess.

I don't get the feeling that their fans hold them to any accountability. They spend $150M a year for mediocrity, make stupid, baffling decisions and still sell out every :censored:ing night to a bunch of rubes.

The lack of accountability is news to me and hosts of fellow Cubs fans who agonize over this organization's inability to be what it ought to be. As for the damning indictment of drawing well despite not playing well, I don't know what your alternative is. Taking away some beer sales isn't going to effect one yud of top-to-bottom organizational excellence, and I don't know of a team for whom it ever has. Making less money is not going to enable a cash-strapped Cubs ownership group to invest in top-flight scouting and instruction. You think they suck when they draw 40,000 a day? I shudder to think of the ineptitude they would commit with 20,000 a day. In the meantime, I'm not sorry that people like to watch baseball games on summer afternoons.

All that being said, sweet Jesus Christ who signs a first baseman who can't hit the Mendoza Line?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You think they suck when they draw 40,000 a day? I shudder to think of the ineptitude they would commit with 20,000 a day...All that being said, sweet Jesus Christ who signs a first baseman who can't hit the Mendoza Line?

Holy :censored:, this really is the Cubs in a nutshell.

ESPN reports that the Rangers are strongly pursuing free agent Jim Thome. At 40, the only position that would make sense for him is DH. Does this mean that Michael Young may be traded after all? Hmm.

Not only is that the only position that would make sense for Thome, it is literally the only position he can play anymore without hurting himself. He can't even play 1B in an emergency, though he isn't paid for his defense.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

What an argument against the DH. If Jim Thome cannot physically play a position on a baseball field, Jim Thome should not be playing professional baseball.

Not the Big Cat, the guy that almost pitched a perfect game for the Tigers, you boob. If he can be snatched up for a low price, why not see what you can get out of him in a non-DH setting?

Not the Big Cat, the guy that almost pitched a perfect game for the Tigers, you boob. If he can be snatched up for a low price, why not see what you can get out of him in a non-DH setting?

I think that if Gallaraga goes to the NL, he has serious breakout player potential.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Armando Galarraga designated for assignment. Cubs should take a chance on him.

Proving yet again that no-hitters / perfect games only confirm greatness, they don't establish it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think that if Gallaraga goes to the NL, he has serious breakout player potential.

He might, he might not, but if Hendry can make this an Edmondsesque low-risk reclamation project, it's worth a shot. The Cubs are too broke to do anything more than reclamation projects under our beloved new ownership

Apparently he flew off the rails at the end of last season. That's a little troubling, but plentiful games with the Pittsburgh Pirates can hide a multitude of sins. Also, Wrigley's been playing like a pitcher's park a lot lately, it seems. Throw him out there as much as possible in April and May when it's 38 degrees and fly balls die like birds in Arkansas, see where that gets you. The only problem is that the Cubs would still have nothing but right-handed pitching, save for Sean Marshall, who seems to have found his niche as a setup man after 4+ years of playing every role but closer.

(CNN) -- Professional baseball player Milton Bradley was arrested for making criminal threats, a Los Angeles police spokesman said.

The incident occurred Tuesday, according to spokesman Gregory Baek.

Bradley, who most recently played for the Seattle Mariners, was booked and released, Baek said.

The alleged threats were against a woman.

Bradley posted a $50,000 bail before leaving jail, CNN affiliate KTLA reported.

Bradley played for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2005, but was traded after he threw a water bottle at fans at Dodger Stadium and confrontation with a newspaper reporter, the affiliate reported.

One of the all-time worst human beings ever to put on a uniform. I grinned from ear to ear when I found out this asswipe finally got popped for something. Screw him. I wish him incalculable ill.

Archived