Oregon Ducks save the best for last

dolfan13

or you root for the team that (among others) represents the complete corruption of college football where no one

even tries to pretend that these players are real college students with interest in attending classes and earning a degree.

You could say that about Oregon too, since they pay the players with Nike money.

Not only that, but apparently Phil Knight gets a special headset at every Ducks game that allows him to listen in on the playcalling. How long before he gets to actually call plays?

j.jpg

"SWOOSH LEFT! SWOOSH LEFT! PROCOMBAT!"

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I am as much of a "classic look" guy as anyone... and I'd bet dollars to donuts this won't become a classic... But who's to say that at least one of the things they are trying now isn't the "classic look" of the future. While I wouldn't be a fan of every team in the NCAA do this, I enjoy Oregon's "Test mule" status. Nike needs a way to judge fan reaction. Oregon gives them that opportunity.

Ryan Rosillo on ESPN Radio said today that 17 years old last night was sweating nervously to go to Oregon to wear new uniforms that they offer. Scott Van Pelt said, well that is not the only reason they would want to go there, but the modern look helps to attract kids these days.

I don't understand why everyone has a problem with the uniforms. If you have not figured it out yet, they are a NIKE sponsored school and NIKE will put them in what uniform they want. However, it is still up to the captains to make the final decision as to what combination they want to wear. I think the look was great and I would love to see more of it.

spacer.png

The worst part is that these colors aren't an Oregon decision. The steel and neon and black look is something that Nike created and forced on the school, in essence. They are Nike U/Nikegon. There's no such thing as Oregon now. It's all about the incestuous relationship between Nike and what used to be a sensible athletic program.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The worst part is that these colors aren't an Oregon decision. The steel and neon and black look is something that Nike created and forced on the school, in essence. They are Nike U/Nikegon. There's no such thing as Oregon now. It's all about the incestuous relationship between Nike and what used to be a sensible athletic program.

Agreed. This is why I hate "experimental partnerships" like this. I'm afraid Boise may be going down that same road eventually, and wouldn't be surprised if Blue and Orange were unofficially eliminated within a few years up there. Heck, I don't remember much orange in that pro combat uniform of theirs, so who's to say Nike wont axe it completely?

And let me throw this out there - I don't hate Nike at all. It's singular experiments like these I hate. I don't care who the manufacturer is - the minute you topple an identity and make it the manufacturer's rather than the school's, the identity of that school dies. It's that simple. Oregon used to be green and yellow, and looked good with it. Now, they're Farberware kitchen pot, highliter, aluminum foil....oh and maybe some green or "new" "hot" yellow, if we feel like it. That's not an identity - that's a mess.

Let me also stress, as I've said numerous times, THE DESIGN IS GREAT. The design itself is a visually nice design in my eyes. But, it ends there. The black, carbon, neon, silver, red, blue, gold, periwinkle....that all needs to go. Why not keep that design, but use strictly green and yellow? It's still innovative and pleases the new crowd, but preserve's the school's identity and keeps traditionalists like me happy. A win for everyone, problem solved, "experiment" successful.

Okay, rant over.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'm afraid Boise may be going down that same road eventually, and wouldn't be surprised if Blue and Orange were unofficially eliminated within a few years up there.

Boise will never get rid of blue. The blue turf is the biggest tradition that Boise has and a large part of their identity. I'm sure even Nike realizes that.

Orange, however? I'm sure that will remain but be swapped out for silver or black in alternates, kind of like green for Oregon. And I'm sure they'll keep the orange jerseys and pants, too.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

^^^Whoops, I didn't mean to throw blue in there. I meant just orange. I don't know though, if they can do what they've done at Oregon, I'm sure they could eventually eliminate orange....and add black, silver, carbon, maybe even periwinkle. :P

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

^^^Whoops, I didn't mean to throw blue in there. I meant just orange. I don't know though, if they can do what they've done at Oregon, I'm sure they could eventually eliminate orange....and add black, silver, carbon, maybe even periwinkle. :P

Boise's lately been the center of a nice little technology boom...it drives much of its economy from what I read about the place recently.

That said...I think that silver we've all been seeing is actually supposed to be silicon. ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Doubt Boise will ever dump orange, because if nothing else their orange pants have a good bit of (significant) history.

Not to sound like an old windbag, but I'm really surprised at how many people like those uniforms. Suffice it to say, I thought they looked like horse s***. Those carbon fiber helmets look like something out of a bad Vin Diesel movie, the matching jersey numbers looked cheap and pressed on (not to mention that horrid font), the numbers on the compression sleeves were peeling off right away, and all in all, highlighter yellow and charcoal grey is not a sports team color scheme. They all looked like giant running shoes, which, it is blatantly obvious by now, is the whole point.

nike-lunaracer-running-shoe.jpg

Nike has put itself above the school and above the sport. They've made the Oregon Ducks into team Nike; they're just a giant promotional billboard now. It's really sickening to me to see this happen, and for players/fans to glorify it. I only pray the NFL has enough integrity not to let this happen.

Doubt Boise will ever dump orange, because if nothing

else their orange pants have a good bit of (significant) history.

I don't mean to sound like an @$$ or anything, but do you

really think Nike gives a :censored: about history? Think about it, if they did, Oregon would'nt look like they would.

Nike is unpredictable, and no team's history or identity is safe, frankly, in Nike's hands. That's just how I see it.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

Not to sound like an old windbag, but I'm really surprised at how many people like those uniforms. Suffice it to say, I thought they looked like horse s***. Those carbon fiber helmets look like something out of a bad Vin Diesel movie, the matching jersey numbers looked cheap and pressed on (not to mention that horrid font), the numbers on the compression sleeves were peeling off right away, and all in all, highlighter yellow and charcoal grey is not a sports team color scheme. They all looked like giant running shoes, which, it is blatantly obvious by now, is the whole point.

nike-lunaracer-running-shoe.jpg

Nike has put itself above the school and above the sport. They've made the Oregon Ducks into team Nike; they're just a giant promotional billboard now. It's really sickening to me to see this happen, and for players/fans to glorify it. I only pray the NFL has enough integrity not to let this happen.

what I find strange is that nike already had their way in rebranding the ducks in changing the shades of green and yellow and switching to the O logo...what I find strange is that phil knight would be willing to strip his alma mater's uniform of all school colors for the biggest game in the history of the program.

Doubt Boise will ever dump orange, because if nothing else their orange pants have a good bit of (significant) history.

Interestingly, Boise State uses double Blue for their "institutional" colors:

BoiseStateU_INS_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Vs.:

BoiseStateU_ATH_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Interestingly, Boise State uses double Blue for their "institutional" colors:

BoiseStateU_INS_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

Vs.:

BoiseStateU_ATH_9999_SOL_SRGB.png

wow...never knew that. interesting!

::EDIT:: sure enough

BoiseStateLogo_II.gif

now we can get back on topic

what I find strange is that nike already had their way in rebranding the ducks in changing the shades of green and yellow and switching to the O logo...what I find strange is that phil knight would be willing to strip his alma mater's uniform of all school colors for the biggest game in the history of the program.

It's because what Oregon wants doesn't matter. Nike controls that athletic program. Tradition doesn't matter. What Nike wants, Nike gets. There are no Oregon Ducks anymore. Just the Nikegon Highlighters.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls10/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=6010545

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Phil Knight and his cronies watched the Oregon news conference Monday night from the back row of the interview room. When you're the founder of Nike and you've built a college football power on piles of your cash, you go where you want to go, credentialed or not.

Nike controls the program. Let there be no doubt about it.

It's because what Oregon wants doesn't matter. Nike controls that athletic program. Tradition doesn't matter. What Nike wants, Nike gets. There are no Oregon Ducks anymore. Just the Nikegon Highlighters.

But it does. All the Nike haters need to remember that Oregon deserves just as much blame for this uniform fiasco. Oregon wanted these uniforms for the NCG, if they didn't they wouldn't have worn them. Just look at TCU, they backed out on Nike's helmet and pants. All Oregon has to do to stop this is say no, but they haven't and I doubt they ever will.

jNTsTyQ.png

Or it's more likely that Nike is holding Oregon hostage and Oregon has to do what their corporate masters want.

Archived