Superbowl XLV

Luigi

Steelers fans will disappear into the woodwork hop off the Steeler bandwagon and claim they've been Packers/Patriots/Colts/Saints/etc. fans "for life."

Fixed. :D

Nah, the Steelers may have their share of bandwagon fans like all successful teams do, but they do have a legitimately big fanbase.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steelers fans will disappear into the woodwork hop off the Steeler bandwagon and claim they've been Packers/Patriots/Colts/Saints/etc. fans "for life."

Fixed. :D

Nah, the Steelers may have their share of bandwagon fans like all successful teams do, but they do have a legitimately big fanbase.

I kid you not, most Steelers fans I know root for them because "They were my daddy's team."

I'm not sure if that makes them loyal, or just don't know any better because they were brainwashed by someone who jumped on the bandwagon way back in the 70s.

6uXNWAo.png

I'd say the Steeler fanbase is 70% bandwagoners, 30% people who actually grew up/live in Pittsburgh from personal experience.

I'd say you're correct. I work with about a dozen Steeler fans up at work, and surprise, surprise, none of them are from Pittsburgh. They're like the Yankee fans, silent and claim to be traditionalists, until they win and whoop it up like there's no tomorrow.

Yankee and Steeler fans are silent all year? You sure about that?

Oh yeah, they are silent until their team starts to tear it up. Then watch out. Yankee fans prior to 1996 were obnoxious but not that loud, and then when they started winning World Series year after year, they naturally went nuts on everyone. Steeler fans are the same way. They didn't talk crap until after Super Bowl XL, and haven't shut up since then. Beyond the Packers playing in the big game, that's why it will be fun to see the Steelers lose... hopefully.

I'd say the Steeler fanbase is 70% bandwagoners, 30% people who actually grew up/live in Pittsburgh from personal experience.

Not necessarily bandwagoners, but people whose families/themselves hopped on the bandwagon in the 70s and never got off. Then again, the Steelers have only had 7 losing seasons since 1972, the worst of which was a 5-11 season. So there's been no "reason" to get off the Steeler bandwagon.

6fQjS3M.png

Kinda like Boise State football fans, right?

Anyway, saw this quip on Fox on their "Keys to the Game" segment: "Whoever scores the most points has a better chance of winning." This had better been a dig at Terry Bradshaw....

By the way, I live 20 minutes from the Meadowlands, and today is GORGEOUS for early-February. High of 46, sunny, wind is calm, should be hovering around 40 or so at kickoff here if the game were in fact here today.

Of course in 3 years it could be under 2 feet of snow but today is just dandy for the record.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

By the way, I live 20 minutes from the Meadowlands, and today is GORGEOUS for early-February. High of 46, sunny, wind is calm, should be hovering around 40 or so at kickoff here if the game were in fact here today.

Of course in 3 years it could be under 2 feet of snow but today is just dandy for the record.

It's not the one day....it's the week-long weather that should raise concerns.

The big ice storm that hit Atlanta hit a week before the town hosted the Super Bowl. Yet, because of that freak occurance, Atlanta will never get another Super Bowl. I'm waiting for the same media to start crapping on Dallas, as well as the NFL owners telling Jerry Jones that he'll never get to host another Super Bowl.

It's not the one day....it's the week-long weather that should raise concerns.

The big ice storm that hit Atlanta hit a week before the town hosted the Super Bowl. Yet, because of that freak occurance, Atlanta will never get another Super Bowl. I'm waiting for the same media to start crapping on Dallas, as well as the NFL owners telling Jerry Jones that he'll never get to host another Super Bowl.

I'm well aware. But if we had a roof on this stadium nobody would say a word about the weather the week leading up to it in terms of it being a bad Super Bowl site. And yes, it's unfair that Atlanta is getting shuttered because of a rare occurrence, just like Dallas experienced this week.

But if they can host one in Minneapolis or Detroit, why not the NY-Metro area? I understand that northern cities/states are much more prepared to handle winter weather (i.e. what happened in Dallas or Atlanta would never have been a major issue here outside of some delays).

The biggest story w/ hosting the game here is that it's going to be played outdoors. It's in Indy next year and nobody's bitching about it outside of the media who can't use it as an excuse to get to the beach in the middle of winter. The roof is the difference.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Meanwhile, at the Jerrydome, it seems that there's some structural problems with the temporary seating. According to the NFL Network, NFL employees and their families who had tickets to the game, may have to relocated to accommodate those who have tickets to the temporary seats.

What I heard on NFL Network was that the displaced ticketholders would be shuffled out to the "party zone" outside. Could it be that Jerry knew he might have to do something like this? Is that the real reason for the "party zone" and why he and the NFL insisted on counting it toward the official game attendance?

Update: On Milwaukee's WTMJ-AM they added that they're still trying to get the seats ready, so those ticketholders won't know until almost kickoff time whether their seats are still good.

The weather situation was mostly out of Jerry's control, but this situation is most definitely on him. What a joke.

CCSLC signature.png

Either way it goes...it looks like Imma have to watch this game on mute.

There's no way in hell I'll be able to tolerate Joe Buck AND Troy Aikman for any duration of this game. (Is there some internet radio station broadcasting this game that I can listen to while I watch this game on mute?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

What I heard on NFL Network was that the displaced ticketholders would be shuffled out to the "party zone" outside. Could it be that Jerry knew he might have to do something like this? Is that the real reason for the "party zone" and why he and the NFL insisted on counting it toward the official game attendance?

Update: On Milwaukee's WTMJ-AM they added that they're still trying to get the seats ready, so those ticketholders won't know until almost kickoff time whether their seats are still good.

The weather situation was mostly out of Jerry's control, but this situation is most definitely on him. What a joke.

I had no idea Jerry hired the people who ran the 2004 Athens Olympics....

I saw, I came, I left.

There's no way in hell I'll be able to tolerate Joe Buck AND Troy Aikman for any duration of this game. (Is there some internet radio station broadcasting this game that I can listen to while I watch this game on mute?)

If you're really desperate, there's got to be a local radio station where you live that's carrying the Westwood One feed. Kevin Harlan and Boomer Esiason are doing the W1 call.

Me, I've already got the Fox pregame muted and listening to WTMJ-AM, the Packers Radio Network flagship station out of Milwaukee. I might put it back on Fox for the team intros, national anthem etc. but after that I'm switching the audio right back over to TMJ. There's about a 5-second lag between WITI-TV and WTMJ-AM but I don't care. Wayne Larivee and Larry McCarren finally get to call a Super Bowl, and I'll be damned if I listen to anyone else.

CCSLC signature.png

Sign up for a free three day trial of Sirius-Xm. They'll have the Westwood One call and both local radio broadcasts.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived