2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

Lukas said today that the Giants will add a road alternate jersey soon.

I'm sure it'll be a big surprise based on what they already have in their set. (ie: it's going to be black with "GIANTS" on the front).

I was surprised when I saw it... I'm pretty sure what they're doing is a first for an alternate jersey.

I'm guessing a 2nd road gray with the San Francisco script they use on the Jackets. Id rather it be black but I cant complain if its a 2nd gray

raiders-2.png

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lukas said today that the Giants will add a road alternate jersey soon.

I'm sure it'll be a big surprise based on what they already have in their set. (ie: it's going to be black with "GIANTS" on the front).

I was surprised when I saw it... I'm pretty sure what they're doing is a first for an alternate jersey.

I'm guessing a 2nd road gray with the San Francisco script they use on the Jackets. Id rather it be black but I cant complain if its a 2nd gray

Or, perhaps a pullover jersey?

Hopefully there's placket piping, and maybe a front number to set it apart from the regular roads. Two gray jerseys really borders on pointless, even in an era where a 4-jersey set is fairly standard.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Horrible.

I am against cap logos on jerseys in almost all instances (*cough* Pirates *cough*). Cap logos get the job done on caps - you have a small space in which to make your point, and 1-2 letters to do it with. The jersey should expand the identity. Not only is this taking away the times we get to see the classic road jersey, but the design of the '80s set was awful with piping combined with a clunky striping. There is no reason to go back to that. When I see that, I think quitisential terrible '80s Rawlings jersey. I imagine the new version will have the triple stripes around the placket and sleeves, but it will still be a massive downgrade from their regular road set.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Horrible.

I am against cap logos on jerseys in almost all instances (*cough* Pirates *cough*). Cap logos get the job done on caps - you have a small space in which to make your point, and 1-2 letters to do it with. The jersey should expand the identity. Not only is this taking away the times we get to see the classic road jersey, but the design of the '80s set was awful with piping combined with a clunky striping. There is no reason to go back to that. When I see that, I think quitisential terrible '80s Rawlings jersey. I imagine the new version will have the triple stripes around the placket and sleeves, but it will still be a massive downgrade from their regular road set.

Are you saying that the Pirates are an exception or that they are the worst case of it? Personally I think the Pirates P looks great on a jersey. Honestly (and this isn't a shot at you by any means, really just a uniform opinion) one of the only instances of "cap logo on jersey" that I don't like is the White Sox. I think a "White Sox" script that matches the "Chicago" road script would be the best.

Another reason that I am excited about these coming back, though, is that while I do like cap logos on jerseys, almost every current instance of it that I can think of is on a home jersey. In most cases, the cap insignia (Yankees NY being the example) stands for the city name. Since it represents the city, not the team name, I think they belong on road grays more than home whites.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I think the Pirates alt is bad. They should have brought back the previous black alt with the newest wordmark and added piping. The Sox home jersey is one of the few I like. I am not particularly fond of the Yankees or Tigers jerseys, but I wouldn't change them if given the chance.

For the White Sox, not only is it traditional for them to have a Sox logo on the chest (whether it's the old-English one or the large S with the o x inside), but they have never had a decent script logo. They tried a script in 1987 and it looked like something generic ordered by catalogue. What else could they do, block letters? Too plain. Tuscan letters like they used in the late '70s? Too Red Sox.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It depends on the team. Quite honestly, the only ones that can pull it off are the Yankees, White Sox and Tigers. Maybe it's something to do with the jerseys being white rather than grey or black. Oh yeah ... the A's too. I think their emblem in green on the white home jerseys were good but they got rid of those.

They tried a script in 1987 and it looked like something generic ordered by catalogue.

No more generic than the "Chicago" script they use now. They should bring that back for the dugout jackets, but nothing else. Just so there's something in the set that actually says "White Sox." I want the Tigers to wear a jacket that says "Tigers" for the same reason.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I can see the Giants wearing them on Sunday road games to go with the orange billed hats.

ugh, the giants do not need those stupid orange bills....but i do like this new alternate roadie

I see the orange bill hat everywhere and I personally own two of them.. the San Jose Giants added an orange bill hat too(that I also own) so I dont seem them going anywhere.

Archived