2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I like this move. I wish they would bring back the black road alternates from 2001-02, those were pretty nice. But maybe I'm just biased on that one since the Giants wore those at the first MLB game I ever attended, way back in 2001. ^_^

Those were dropped because of Bonds and seeing how the current Giants cant even hit singles maybe they will come back someday.

I'm not sure I like this move. I wish they would bring back the black road alternates from 2001-02, those were pretty nice. But maybe I'm just biased on that one since the Giants wore those at the first MLB game I ever attended, way back in 2001. ^_^

Those were dropped because of Bonds and seeing how the current Giants cant even hit singles maybe they will come back someday.

What do you mean by "because of Bonds"? Are you trying to say that they were dropped because they somehow related to the stigma and memories of his steroid allegations? Those jerseys were only worn from 2001-02, and Bonds was with the Giants through 2007. Am I missing something?

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

What do you mean by "because of Bonds"? Are you trying to say that they were dropped because they somehow related to the stigma and memories of his steroid allegations? Those jerseys were only worn from 2001-02, and Bonds was with the Giants through 2007. Am I missing something?

The black jerseys were not "dropped because of Bonds." As far as I know, they were dropped because they looked bad. I mean, instead of having orange scripts on black, they went for an ugly black-on-black look (which looked even worse on the road alt) and didn't even use their regular hat. That too was black on black. In my opinion they looked awful and I always assumed that was why they were dropped.

As for the connection to Bonds, while the black jerseys were not dropped because of Bonds, I have heard people say that they think the reason that the Giants added an orange alternate prior to 2010 as opposed to a black alternate, along with the orange brimmed caps, was to emphasize orange in attempt to distance themselves from the Barry Bonds era of black alternates and a further emphasis on black.

Not sure that I fully buy it, but I think that is what he may be referring to.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

The Giants did not want Bonds ( and the highlights to be shown over and over) to break records in the black jersey.

I mean, instead of having orange scripts on black, they went for an ugly black-on-black look (which looked even worse on the road alt) and didn't even use their regular hat. That too was black on black. In my opinion they looked awful and I always assumed that was why they were dropped.

I actually liked the black on black look. It was different. Im partial to that alt hat. It was the 1st New Era fitted I ever owned. I wish they would use the black road alt and that hat again.

raiders-2.png

The SF is a far better road look for them then the tiny SAN FRANSISCO letters. Can't say for sure until I see it, but I think that it'd be a good move if this is their way of gradually phasing out the current primary road jersey. I also think that San Diego should go a similar route.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The SF is a far better road look for them then the tiny SAN FRANSISCO letters. Can't say for sure until I see it, but I think that it'd be a good move if this is their way of gradually phasing out the current primary road jersey. I also think that San Diego should go a similar route.

Disagree on both counts. Cap logos are ok on alternates like San Diego is doing this year, but you need to have the city name on a jersey. It's a great selling point for many people and it just looks right. This throwback tweaker is an interesting idea but ultimately having two greys will just be weird.

There are some city names that just don't look good on jerseys. San Francisco certainly isn't bad, but the letters are just a little too small for my tastes and it's a lot of letters. It's purely a subjective thing, but I think that SF is such a common abbreviation for San Francisco that it's fine. Along the same lines, I'd never want to see a Phillies jersey that had Philadelphia on it because it just wouldn't look good (especially in their current silly script - that prototype that's been floating around looks ridiculous IMO.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There are some city names that just don't look good on jerseys. San Francisco certainly isn't bad, but the letters are just a little too small for my tastes and it's a lot of letters. It's purely a subjective thing, but I think that SF is such a common abbreviation for San Francisco that it's fine. Along the same lines, I'd never want to see a Phillies jersey that had Philadelphia on it because it just wouldn't look good (especially in their current silly script - that prototype that's been floating around looks ridiculous IMO.)

What about a road Phillies jersey that just used the cap P?

Yes! It's about time the Giants put their interlocking "SF" on the road. It's more appealing than that standard block script they currently use. I just hope they use the current interlocking "SF". Here's a concept I made for my series a while back:

iz999h.png

Take the number off (or make it level with the logo) and well done! I like the patch.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Every time someone posts a concept that mixes eras, I post the same comment - it doesn't work. The '70s P works because it fills up the maximum height and width of the portion of the breast that a logo can go (imagine a rectangle.) The current P has the goofy tail on the left hand side, so the vertical bar is closer to the middle of the rectangle, so the bulk of the letter only takes up 1/2 to 3/4 of the width of the rectangle. It looks very weak IMO. When you look at the Tigers and Yankees, the bulk of their letters fill the space. Actually, I think this is why I prefer the Tigers jersey D to their cap D.

Like this:

Phillies.jpg

Man, that cap logo is brutal.

How they can use that, when they have a beautiful logo sitting there in the team's history, is beyond me.

201179620.jpg

I agree. The current script and P just look too computerized. Nobody could actually write something that looks like it, with it's rounded bottoms and unnatural curves. The '50s is so much better IMO (though a little less conducive to giant neon stadium signage and things like that.) I like the late '40s as a compromise between the '50s and current script. Either way, I'd just prefer for them to go in a different direction altogether.

Archived