2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that the Mariners have spruced things up a little by bringing the teal bills back. I'd also recommend using the proprietary font for names and numbers rather than block. It'd give them some harmony. At the same time, I feel like the Mariners' identity is getting a little stale, teal bills or not. They've had it for a long time, but it's not necessarily a classic, you know?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A teal and blue trident set would look great IMO. Maybe throw some silver in there, or even bring back a little yellow.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So, are there any more logo changes this offseason?

Dbacks are changing their primary

Already? That was fast. Is it just a tweak, a change or an overhaul? I must admit I like the sand, black and red, including both versions of the logo and I'd be disappointed to see them change the colors.

Neither the D-backs nor the Rockies changes are earth-shattering.

I'm assuming Arizona's change is simply the removal of the ASG patch?

They've had it for a long time, but it's not necessarily a classic, you know?

Disagreed. The Mariners' set calls to mind memories of Ichiro, Edgar Martinez, Ken Griffey, Jr., Randy Johnson, etc. When a uniform set brings to mind so many good players, it's a classic in my book.

Although, I do agree that the M's should use their serif number/NOB font on all the uniforms. I also wonder what the home jersey would look like with teal script/NOB/wordmark and navy outlines.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Love the Mariners, (great ball park for one thing), but I've never been keen on any Mariner jersey or logo. The current iteration looks like a bank logo. The teal at least gives the whole look a bit of an edge (and takes away that silvery/glittery thread they use on the other logo, which I hate).

Still, I wouldn't really mind if the Mariners rolled the dice with a new look. There has to be something better than what they've done in the past. I am not a huge fan of the Pilots gear, but I find it more interesting than the Mariner's stuff.

I'm amazed that the Mariners has kept the navigation logo for 19 years now and yeah I would love to see the Mariners changed the lettering to match it uniform or bring back the blue & gold.

and the Rockies are coming out with a new road uni

So I'm guessing the Diamondbacks will removed the name and just go with A or put DBacks on the logo.

Love the Mariners, (great ball park for one thing), but I've never been keen on any Mariner jersey or logo. The current iteration looks like a bank logo. The teal at least gives the whole look a bit of an edge (and takes away that silvery/glittery thread they use on the other logo, which I hate).

Still, I wouldn't really mind if the Mariners rolled the dice with a new look. There has to be something better than what they've done in the past. I am not a huge fan of the Pilots gear, but I find it more interesting than the Mariner's stuff.

I'm amazed that the Mariners has kept the navigation logo for 19 years now and yeah I would love to see the Mariners changed the lettering to match it uniform or bring back the blue & gold.

Navy and northwest green has been a much better identity for the Mariners than the blue an gold ever were. I happento think they need no more changes at all. I've never cares for that custom numbers and letters on the navy alt. Just doesn't look good IMO. Just change the navy alt back to the one circa 1999, teal billed cap back to full-time home (though I don't mind the all navy) and they're set.

A teal and blue trident set would look great IMO. Maybe throw some silver in there, or even bring back a little yellow.

I completely agree. I'd love to see them do a solid navy alt hat with a silver trident, outlined in navy and northwest green to go with the blue alternate jersey. Not quite the same colors, but I like the route the Everett Aqua Sox went

Road_Fitted_300.jpg

SEAsig.png

I would love to see the Angels keep the gold halo and changed the cap from red to navy blue.

Navy and northwest green has been a much better identity for the Mariners than the blue an gold ever were. I happento think they need no more changes at all. I've never cares for that custom numbers and letters on the navy alt. Just doesn't look good IMO. Just change the navy alt back to the one circa 1999, teal billed cap back to full-time home (though I don't mind the all navy) and they're set.

Guess you're right I mean all of the Mariners success came from the navy & northwest and it match the Seahawks!!

The thing about the Mariners is, they've never won a substantial pennant in any jersey and as great as Griffey, Edgar and Ichiro are, none of them have brought home a ring.

The colors are just too corporate, the brand itself looks bland and the whole look appears too stuffy and conservative (which is the exact opposite of all the sports brands in this town).

I welcome teal, as a nice throwback to 1995 (and I really am okay with them cashing in that one equity-chip they have with the fans here, even if they do cash it in frequently). But I'd really welcome a new, bolder look for this team.

There's a real "hokey" quality to the Mariners brand. There's something very provincial about the Mariners. I think a sharper, bolder image for the team is the first step in shedding some of that quality. It's this bizarre hybrid of a frumpy, paranoid housewife and a stuffy, tight-fisted local bank. I blame ownership which seems absolutely adverse to new ideas, and absolutely threatened by anyone in their organization getting a significant amount of power or equity (this was part of the reason Gillick and Pinella left).

Gillick has openly talked about how conservative and slow the Mariners are in their governance.

Lord knows, the franchise's plight could use something. You can make a sincere argument that the Mariners are the worst pro-ball club of them all. Truly, that means the amount of equity they have, pales in comparison to what can be gained with a fresher perspective.

I agree that the Mariners could probably do a complete logo update/revision, but so long as they do *not* move away from their colors. With the Marlins' changes, that leave the Mariners as the only "teal" team in baseball. And now that they're bringing back to teal-brimmed cap, they have a perfect chance to "own" that color.

But, there is something about their current logo I just don't like. It's not bad by any means, but I feel they could do better.

Already? That was fast. Is it just a tweak, a change or an overhaul? I must admit I like the sand, black and red, including both versions of the logo and I'd be disappointed to see them change the colors.

Neither the D-backs nor the Rockies changes are earth-shattering.

I'm assuming Arizona's change is simply the removal of the ASG patch?

Nope. Minor change to primary logo as well.

I completely agree. I'd love to see them do a solid navy alt hat with a silver trident, outlined in navy and northwest green to go with the blue alternate jersey. Not quite the same colors, but I like the route the Everett Aqua Sox went

Road_Fitted_300.jpg

I went to an AquaSox game this past summer, and it's incredible how that trident has emerged. The team store at the stadium is crazy infested with that logo - and I mean that in the best of ways. Minor league teams are constantly copying/borrowing from their MLB parents teams' identities, but creativity-wise this really went a step beyond that by making the Sox' affiliation quite clear without being a "copycat." If the M's were to rebrand, I would love to see that trident incorporated into the new design. I am so high on the trident that I will be picking up that AquaSox cap and the M's 1981-86 cap in a couple of days.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I like that trident, too.

The Mariners and Rockies are the two teams that I think could stand for some updated logos, yet at the very same time, don't need to change a thing. The Mariners have teal and the Rockies have purple, and that's great. I'll be interested to see what changes the Rockies are supposedly making this offseason, though I doubt it's going to touch the logo at all.

Was just at the Indians team shop in the Strongsville Mall and all of the jerseys with the script are 50% off.

Hopefully that means that terrible script will be gone altogether and replaced with the cream jersey at home and on the road. If that's the case, I would really like to see some changes to the home cap. The navy 'C' is absolutely eaten up by the all-red cap, and it looks terrible with the home unis even if they do wear it with red socks and sleeves. I would like to see a new home cap in the form of a navy crown and red bill, with a red 'C' outlined in white to help it stand out a bit more.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Archived