2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunno, they've been selling those jerseys for months. Bad PR if they add a patch now.

Eh, I wouldn't consider it as bad PR. As a jersey snob I would have preferred it on their when I bought my first jersey but it's not something that couldn't be easily added later. I would be more disappointed if they didn't have a patch period. I like one-off patches and the Marlins have had a fair share in 19 years.

tumblr_lymex4okj51qzgimro1_500.png

Jose Bautista looks fantastic the alternate unis for Toronto on the cover of Mlb 12. I can't believe that they used to have one of the worst looks in baseball to one of the very best. This look reminds me of Joe Carter in 1993, hitting the homerun that gave the Jays their second straght World Series.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• 2 weeks later...

img0229mk.jpg

Saw those the other day. They've also been banishing the old home plate logos from every other corner of the park as well in favor of new signs featuring the alternate Padres logo with the Petco Park silhouette. Have to say I do like the new Petco logo over the old PETCO logo.

Interesting but totally expected news out of San Jose today. The A's name after their planned move to San Jose will officially be the San Jose Athletics (A's). No goofy "at", "of", or just having a different city's name like the 49ers are planning.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/oakland-as-owner-lew-wolff-pushes-public-mlb-for-approval-to-move-team-to-san-jose/2012/02/08/gIQAOKXmzQ_story.html

Saw those the other day. They've also been banishing the old home plate logos from every other corner of the park as well in favor of new signs featuring the alternate Padres logo with the Petco Park silhouette. Have to say I do like the new Petco logo over the old PETCO logo.

Interesting but totally expected news out of San Jose today. The A's name after their planned move to San Jose will officially be the San Jose Athletics (A's). No goofy "at", "of", or just having a different city's name like the 49ers are planning.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/oakland-as-owner-lew-wolff-pushes-public-mlb-for-approval-to-move-team-to-san-jose/2012/02/08/gIQAOKXmzQ_story.html

Considering the number of times the franchise has moved, it's good to see that the A's realize that not using the goofy "at" or "of" is the way to go.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Considering the number of times the franchise has moved, it's good to see that the A's realize that not using the goofy "at" or "of" is the way to go.

First image I've ever seen of what the San Jose A's official logo would look like. This is from an official event this week and was produced by the A's according to several papers in the Bay Area. It should look very familiar to everyone.

http://mercphotos.slideshowpro.com/albums/044/363/album-302614/cache/ssjm0209lewwolff003.sjpg

First image I've ever seen of what the San Jose A's official logo would look like. This is from an official event this week and was produced by the A's according to several papers in the Bay Area. It should look very familiar to everyone.

http://mercphotos.slideshowpro.com/albums/044/363/album-302614/cache/ssjm0209lewwolff003.sjpg

Link doesn't work.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Here it is:

ssjm0209lewwolff003.sjpg_800_450_0_95_1_50_50.jpg

Guess that's the "stuffed version of Stomper, the A's mascot, dressed in a 'San Jose Athletics' uniform that greeted guest (sic) at the luncheon" mentioned in the article.

Fabulous mockup, guys - love what you've done with the "E"!

Do we know the 49ers are planning something, or is that just fan speculation? The only thing I've heard is that they're keeping their original name.

And why not? The only reason the Angels are using their goofy name is because they're contractually obligated to, and the Niners are under no such constraints.

Here it is:

Guess that's the "stuffed version of Stomper, the A's mascot, dressed in a 'San Jose Athletics' uniform that greeted guest (sic) at the luncheon" mentioned in the article.

The E sticks out like a sore thumb.

spacer.png

Here it is:

The E sticks out like a sore thumb.

The S looks terrible too.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Here it is:

Do we know the 49ers are planning something, or is that just fan speculation? The only thing I've heard is that they're keeping their original name.

And why not? The only reason the Angels are using their goofy name is because they're contractually obligated to, and the Niners are under no such constraints.

No speculation at all. The Niners have stated they'll be keeping the San Francisco 49ers name despite one town over from the far larger San Jose in Santa Clara.

And yeah the E definitely peeled off...

Oh, I misunderstood you. I thought that you were suggesting that the Niners were going to move to a compound name.

Nah, the 49ers can play in the suburbs and still keep the main city's name. :P

As for that elephant doll, looks to me like a cheap printout that they pasted onto the back of his sweatshirt. I wouldn't doubt that'll be the logo, but this photo itself is hardly proof of it.

Oh, I misunderstood you. I thought that you were suggesting that the Niners were going to move to a compound name.

As for that elephant doll, looks to me like a cheap printout that they pasted onto the back of his sweatshirt. I wouldn't doubt that'll be the logo, but this photo itself is hardly proof of it.

I hope it becomes the logo if the move goes through, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they did a rebrand for their new stadium like so many other teams now. I could see them pulling "we need to move into the future" silliness and changing everything. Being that they have experimented with black twice, I fear they will "keep their traditional colors" while making black the primary across all uniforms.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah there's no guarantee it will become the final logo, but it is the first time the team has used a logo that had San Jose (or anything other than Oakland) on it. When they were trying to move to Fremont, and until now, everything that dealt with the A's outside Oakland featured a simple green city agnostic version of the current A's on a white or beige baseball circular background similar to the one in the Cisco Field logo.

OAK.gif

As for the "main city" comment, San Jose is the big daddy in the Bay Area now, if anything they're moving into a San Jose suburb from San Francisco. But it's understandable if they'd like to keep the name of the old city for continuity sake.

Archived