2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

Exactly, although that's a poor rendering of the old logo.

The former is elegant and solid. The more square shape really helps it, whereas the Mets logo is wispy and insubstantial. Too thin.

I couldn't disagree more. The old logo is amateurish and wonky... the Mets logo is clean, iconic, and looks great on a baseball cap.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, although that's a poor rendering of the old logo.

The former is elegant and solid. The more square shape really helps it, whereas the Mets logo is wispy and insubstantial. Too thin.

I couldn't disagree more. The old logo is amateurish and wonky... the Mets logo is clean, iconic, and looks great on a baseball cap.

Couldn't agree more with your disagreement.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Not really sure where to put this, taken from another message board.

I was at Buffalo Wild Wings in Midtown where they have their weekly "Astroline" show, and the show's guest last night was Jim Crane.

They talked about the uniforms in-depth.

He said they're bringing in 2 outside firms next week to consult for the new uniform design. They're going to take the 2 firms' ideas and incorporate some fan feedback into helping them decide.

He also said that he was a fan of the old uniforms and wants to incorporate them as well (don't know if he was referencing the color scheme or wearing throwbacks more often).

He said that they have to submit a new uniform idea to MLB before THIS season starts, and their plans are to have a design finalized by April 1st with the formal announcement taking place after this season.

kU6ns.gif

Maysjersey1.jpg

Looks a lot like the Giants.

It bloody well ought to - they were the Giants' top farm club at the time.

If Horace Stoneham had his way, he would have moved the Giants to Minneapolis. He saw how Milwaukee worked out for the Braves. But that rat bastard O'Malley needed another team in California to keep his travel costs down, so...

Maysjersey1.jpg

Looks a lot like the Giants.

It bloody well ought to - they were the Giants' top farm club at the time.

If Horace Stoneham had his way, he would have moved the Giants to Minneapolis. He saw how Milwaukee worked out for the Braves. But that rat bastard O'Malley needed another team in California to keep his travel costs down, so...

Minneapolis Giants DOES NOT have the same appeal to the ear as New York Giants or San Francisco Giants.

spacer.png

When the Rays wore a Smokers throwback jersey they didn't have a cigar on it. Is it MLB's decision or each team how PC the throwback's are going to be?

Edit: Just read that it is MLB's decision. I don't remember reading this when the Rays wore the Smokers jersey.

All of this political correctness is annoying the crap out of me. A jersey is part of a team history. Tramp stamping your brand on what is supposed to be a classy throwback (ahem, Majestic) is one thing, but removing an entire element altogether from the original design? Senseless.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

Normally, I'm on the side of political correctness and gun control, but come on. The kids won't care if the Colt .45s jersey have a gun on it or not. Their going to watch a movie/play a video game where the protagonist kills a bunch of guys.

This is stupid.

spacer.png

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/shoot-mlb-cuts-pistols-colt-45s-throwback-jerseys-221044934.html#more-31892

I think this article says it best:

In fact, there's nothing at all hypocritical about it all. It's not like we're subjected to 1,437 images of guns each day ? from No. 1 selling video games to primetime television.

Nope, it's the pistol on the chests of what will likely be a 100-loss team ? for all of two early season games! ? that will send the wrong message to children. In a state where it's legal to carry a concealed firearm, no less. Yup, got it. Makes sense.

70389454.png

I figured if anything were to be a problem, it would be the Colt .45 copyright that scuttled the nickname the first time around. I mean, it's freakin' Texas; I'm surprised all their sports teams don't do it up big and put pictures of guns all over their uniforms.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, we do have concealed carry laws and Minute Maid doesn't wave a metal detector wand when you walk in (unlike Toyota Park that wanded my kids a couple of weeks ago). So it is possible that some gun guy could see the gun on the uniform and something could short circuit through his CHL brain making the whole affair just terrible.

OR maybe Majestic has rules like New Era and won't put guns on their product period.

Archived