2012 MLB & Logo Changes

marlinfan

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Considering who runs the Yankees, the day we see them in any sort of alternate (outside of a batting practice jersey) is the day we see Waka Flocka Flame run for President and win. The same franchise who participated in TAtC by saying "You're looking at our TAtC jerseys."

Seriously, their navy and silver colors would lend themselves to a very classy-looking alternate if executed properly. Tradition doesn't mean you have to be stuffy and boring.

The only thing that would look good is navy jersey with white piping, white NY in the the left chest and solid white numbers in the back. That's it. And they shouldn't even get those. Just fix the roadies and be done with it.

They're neither stuffy nor boring. They have the full compliment of fashionable BP caps and jerseys, jackets and other dugout gear. Plus more than their share of fashion merchandise.

The Yankees have too much invested in their pinstripes to ever muddy their look with an alt. Talk about brand equity.

Seriously, their navy and silver colors would lend themselves to a very classy-looking alternate if executed properly. Tradition doesn't mean you have to be stuffy and boring.

While this may all be true, if I buy my ticket to see the Yankees play (either in NY or in my city), I want them to look like the Yankees. It's part of the experience. If it's my only time in New York, I don't want to see them in a navy jersey.

It's not like their look couldn't be improved on - hell, I could come up with five ways right now to tweak their set. They just have more invested in their look than just about any other club in the world. Their whole simplistic "no-alt" thing is part of their whole gimmick, and it would do a lot of damage to their overall brand IMO if they were to do something that makes them just like everyone else. They're no longer the "too good for you" Yankees, which love it or not, is we talk about them.

The only changes I'd really support would be the dropping of the white trim on the road, and if they adopted the heather-gray poly that (I think) UA has developed for several college programs. Looks a lot like the old flannel.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

While this may all be true, if I buy my ticket to see the Yankees play (either in NY or in my city), I want them to look like the Yankees. It's part of the experience. If it's my only time in New York, I don't want to see them in a navy jersey.

It's not like their look couldn't be improved on - hell, I could come up with five ways right now to tweak their set. They just have more invested in their look than just about any other club in the world. Their whole simplistic "no-alt" thing is part of their whole gimmick, and it would do a lot of damage to their overall brand IMO if they were to do something that makes them just like everyone else. They're no longer the "too good for you" Yankees, which love it or not, is we talk about them.

The only changes I'd really support would be the dropping of the white trim on the road, and if they adopted the heather-gray poly that (I think) UA has developed for several college programs. Looks a lot like the old flannel.

Basically take the Red Sox roads with the felt-like navy lettering/numbers with no white trim and apply it to the Yankees and they're perfect. After you change the Red Sox back of course.

It's for random stuff. Just like what every other thread inevitably turns into.

Touche.

Both, as is the purpose of these boards in general.

Go orioles.

We usually get a breakdown of the changes, I just forget when we get it. Have to check my emails from last season.

That's a fair point, but the Yankees could theoretically counter that by only wearing them three or four times a year and making a big event out of it, complete with advance warning.

Agreed. It looks fantastic - a lot better than the bland gray roads in the big leagues.

IMG_5809.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'd be pretty disappointed if the Yankees were to change their road uniforms. I love stripes on the sleeve cuffs and the white outlines that go with it. It might have a 70s look to it, but I like how that looks on a baseball uniform (same goes for the White Sox roads.)

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

If the Yankees ever wore an alternate, I'd scream bloody murder.

If the Yankees ever wore names on their backs, I'd scream bloody murder.

If the Yankees ever modified the logos on the pinstriped jersey, I'd scream bloody murder.

Basically, if the Yankees ever had a different look at home than the one they've had for decades on end, I'd be as mad as anyone you've ever seen.

As for the road, the only change I'd accept is the dropping of the white outline (or the above mentioned flannel change). Anything else, including an alternate, would be simply unacceptable.

As someone mentioned earlier, the Yankees have built up tremendous brand equity. There is no reason to cheapen that. Unlike most other teams (and this is not a swipe at other teams), the Yankees don't need to wear a jersey on the field in order for it to sell well. I've seen fans wearing a million different types of Yankees' jerseys, and only 2 - the home pinstripes and the road grays - have ever been worn in a game. Same goes for caps - god knows there's a million different varieties of Yankees caps, but only one ever worn on the field (except for those damned Stars & Stripes caps, which really do not seem to be that popular in terms of sales compared to other Yankees caps). The Yanks don't need to compromise that brand equity in order to sell jerseys.

Also, the pinstripes are as much identified with the Yankees as Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Lou Gehrig, Derek Jeter, etc., not to mention the 27 championships. It's the most recognizable uniform in sports. To trot an alternate out there instead would both fly in the face of tradition (and this is a team that notably loves tradition) and the image the Yankees have built for decades.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

But whenever that "card" is pulled, it's generally backed up by points to back it up. Why not give us your points to support why they should change it up.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived