Too Old to Wear a Jersey?

hjwii

Evil DR and Nash,

I agree completely with you, I am a huge sports fan and I'm really into stats and rivalry competition and all that stuff but at the end of the day it's just a game.

But I have been shoved once (by a really drunk dude) at Ivor Wynn and I just ignored it. I've come to learn a trip to that stadium in Argos blue means someone is going to be a complete ass to me.

Funny thing is I've seen Ti-Cats fans in Toronto try the same :censored: and get thrown out so fast! It's hilarious!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This writer is horrible and has no concept of rationality!

He tries to claim that wearing a jersey makes you fake b/c you're not a player. What's the difference between wearing a SF Giants jersey, and wearing a SF Giants hat or hoodie? There's still going to be the potential for bad blood.

But, everyone has the right to wear their teams colors...ESPECIALLY when that team is playing the other...I mean good god. "Don't come into the stadium unless you are wearing Dodger blue and white" .... we live in a free country. This "journalist" is a borderline nazi for all I care.

I went to the Braves opener in Atlanta the other day....sat next to a group of Phillies fans (who were...annoying) and some misplaced dude in a Mets JERSEY! ...best Braves game I'd been to in a while, and it was all in good fun...even though the Mets fan was drunk off his ass...and obviously looked STUPID for showing up. But I'm positive nobody there had any thoughts of trying to beat his ass to a pulp.

It's a shame that drunkards are foolish enough to assault someone for that dumb of a reason, but there is no fault in wearing an opponents jersey to a game.

The fact this guy tried to fart an article out of his ass to say otherwise really baffles me

Really?! I went to Fenway about 5 years ago when they were playing the A's. I was all decked out in my A's gear and got some ribbing, as I expected I would, from the Sox fans. But the guy who was being the biggest dick to me for almost the entire night was some guy dressed in Mets gear about 5 rows behind me. The A's took a huge lead that day so even Sox fans started leaving early so by the 8th it was just Mets guy and I in our area of the section so I finally just turned around and asked him where Shea Stadium was...

Sadly at Dodger Stadium these days it often is... I was talking to an LA lawyer and he commented that one of the sad things he sees lately in gang cases he prosecutes is that a large number of the gang members are wearing ink these days featuring the Dodgers. Seems to be one thing gangbangers can agree on in LA, the Dodgers.

Actually, that's why I mentioned it. I watch a lot of "Gangland" on the History channel and I saw a few episodes of LA gangs. Many gangs in large cities use sports team colors or symbols.

The one that comes to mind first is a gang in Fresno, CA who use the bulldog and wear jerseys as their gang colors. And if an innocent person wearing those colors is seen by a rival gang, some innocent people will get hurt.

Such a shame.

bufg.png

Bosrs1, that reminds me of the NWA- LA Raiders 30 for 30 piece.

I think down south folks pretty much save jerseys just to go to games, I don't see them worn as much like I used to.

That was actually this particular lawyer's contention. That in recent years as the Raiders have faded from the current generation's consciousness that the Dodgers have become the new team of scumbag gang members in LA. Which makes sense (if you're scum and in a gang) since the Raiders haven't been around now for 15 years. LA will start to forget about them unless they were older diehards.

Evil DR and Nash,

I agree completely with you, I am a huge sports fan and I'm really into stats and rivalry competition and all that stuff but at the end of the day it's just a game.

But I have been shoved once (by a really drunk dude) at Ivor Wynne and I just ignored it. I've come to learn a trip to that stadium in Argos blue means someone is going to be a complete ass to me.

Funny thing is I've seen Ti-Cats fans in Toronto try the same :censored: and get thrown out so fast! It's hilarious!

Drunk fans at Ivor Wynne can be interesting.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I'm just curious as to what this board thinks of this article:

My link

Basically, he's pointing out that maybe the guy deserved to have the crap beaten out of him because 1) he's too old to be wearing a jersey, and 2) he has no right wearing another team's jersey in the opposing team's stadium...

Since Mitchell & Ness, New Era, NBA, and others are now a part of not only urban fashion, but fashion in general...then WHO CARES how old you are. Placing a race, age, or culture on a "do's/don't" list as to what you can wear/not wear is wrong for so many reasons. Wear whatever makes you happy and feel good. Others that disagree have issues of their own that they need to deal with eventually.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

From what I've heard and read from people who have been to Dodger Stadium in the last decade, this has more to do with people who are looking to throw down more than anything. The people who have been victimized over the years aren't always in opposition gear. As I heard it said this morning, somewhere along the line, all of the "Raiders fans" (or more like guys who claim to be Raiders fans) in LA decided to start going to Dodger Stadium to get their fighting fix from April to September.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Went to the Pats-Jets playoff game at Gillette in January. I'm a big Pats fan and so is my wife. We had two guys from Jersey in front of us who were rooting for the Jets. We went back and forth with some good natured banter, but at the end of the game, slapped them 5, said good game, wished them a good ride home, and said good luck in Pittsburgh. We had a lot of back and forth fun together as fans of the opposite team.

Then in the parking lot on the way back to the train, we saw two Pats fans beating the :censored: out of one another. Don't hate the jersey, hate the idiot wearing it.

No excuses for these animals that beat the poor guy up.

Why would age matter when it comes to wearing a teams' jersey? It makes me mad that this writer is trying to find blame in a guy that is nearly dead because of a couple of idiots' actions.

Also, why should fans of other teams not go to away games? If some one is a true fan and wants to watch their team play in another stadium, then why should the have to be tormented by fans of the other team.

People go to sporting events for entertainment and to see their team play, It just make me angry when I see or hear about people in the crowed at sports venues fighting over a game that they are watching.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

I'm just curious as to what this board thinks of this article:

My link

Basically, he's pointing out that maybe the guy deserved to have the crap beaten out of him because 1) he's too old to be wearing a jersey, and 2) he has no right wearing another team's jersey in the opposing team's stadium...

Both points are bull. You're never too old to wear a jersey (hell I don't like the term "too old" for most things). And you sure as hell can wear an opposing team's gear at another stadium. Sure you'll get razzed which is also part of the game. But NOTHING is justification for beating an opposing fan.

Totally agree, however, when talking about Dodger fan, it like talking to a 6 month old baby, no matter what you say, they still don't get it. I have only been to Dodger Stadium once and to be honest it was around the 6th inning that I finally saw a full AB. There is constantly people getting talked to by security and so forth that I found it hard to watch the game. And I wasn't even in the cheep seats.

To a sporting event? Never, all the time, maybe. Early in high school I wore jerseys 5 days a week, but then I started to notice girls, changed my style a bit. I still wear jerseys around playoff time (as does everyone in Vancouver) but gone are the days I wear jerseys like my throwback jays jersey just for the heck of it.

I'm over 12 and have a customized jersey, but it was given as a gift, so I'll occasionally bust it out on gamedays. I feel like "too old for a jersey" is prepostrous, but I could see where some sports jerseys would look pretty ridiculous on a massively overweight elderly person.

All my jerseys are customized. Why should I wear a name that can get shipped off to the other team or choose to run to Miami on his own whim. And yes, I wear my team's colors regardless of if I'm sitting in the other team's section. Usually the fans there will give you crap but they do it in good fun.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

And yes, I wear my team's colors regardless of if I'm sitting in the other team's section. Usually the fans there will give you crap but they do it in good fun.

Someone's never been to Columbus...

Anyone notice that on a scale of 1 to 5, that article currently is rated 1.05.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I seem to hear that "too old to wear a jersey" retort more and more these days, and I dont really understand it. I think it's perfectly okay for someone, whatever age they are, to wear a jersey if they're going to the stadium or just to the bar to watch the game. Personally, and this is just me, but I think that's at least better than say, wearing a fancy dress shirt&slacks to a game (something I notice all too often when I watch NBA games on TV). I mean, I'm not saying you have to wear a t-shirt and shorts, but I've just always thought (unless you're coming straight from work or something) those people that really dress up to go to the ball game are taking themselves too seriously.

Archived