Too Old to Wear a Jersey?

hjwii

I'm just curious as to what this board thinks of this article:

My link

Basically, he's pointing out that maybe the guy deserved to have the crap beaten out of him because 1) he's too old to be wearing a jersey, and 2) he has no right wearing another team's jersey in the opposing team's stadium...

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no problem wearing a jersey to a game, while watching a game, or even out on a game day. I do feel weird wearing one if there's no game that day, however.

Though if you're over 12 have a customized jersey with your own name on the back you need a stern talking to.

I'm just curious as to what this board thinks of this article:

My link

Basically, he's pointing out that maybe the guy deserved to have the crap beaten out of him because 1) he's too old to be wearing a jersey, and 2) he has no right wearing another team's jersey in the opposing team's stadium...

Both points are bull. You're never too old to wear a jersey (hell I don't like the term "too old" for most things). And you sure as hell can wear an opposing team's gear at another stadium. Sure you'll get razzed which is also part of the game. But NOTHING is justification for beating an opposing fan.

I don't care how old someone is, they have the right to wear whatever they want wherever they want, provided it lies within the realm of good taste.

Opposing team jersey? That's fine, we're supposed to live in a society of laws. This isn't Lord of the :censored:ing Flies.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I'm over 12 and have a customized jersey, but it was given as a gift, so I'll occasionally bust it out on gamedays. I feel like "too old for a jersey" is prepostrous, but I could see where some sports jerseys would look pretty ridiculous on a massively overweight elderly person.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Too old to wear a jersey? No. Definitely not.

Too immature to go to a sport event because you beat up older people for wearing a jersey for the other team? Yes.

:censored:ing scumbag kids. There's no reason to beat up an opposing fan for no reason like that.

Had the guy been a big :censored: and started with them, or something serious, maybe it would be different.

But just for wearing a Giants jersey?

Grow up. This isn't a gang war.

bufg.png

Maybe the piece of crap who wrote that article deserves to have the crap beaten out of him.

Of course he doesn't; that's as stupid as him insinuating that the person who wore a Giants jersey to a game deserves to be in a coma.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I don't care how old someone is, they have the right to wear whatever they want wherever they want, provided it lies within the realm of good taste.

Opposing team jersey? That's fine, we're supposed to live in a society of laws. This isn't Lord of the :censored:ing Flies.

This is great. Nail on the head right here.

90758391980.gif

Too old to wear a jersey? No. Definitely not.

Too immature to go to a sport event because you beat up older people for wearing a jersey for the other team? Yes.

:censored:ing scumbag kids. There's no reason to beat up an opposing fan for no reason like that.

Had the guy been a big :censored: and started with them, or something serious, maybe it would be different.

But just for wearing a Giants jersey?

Grow up. This isn't a gang war.

Sadly at Dodger Stadium these days it often is... I was talking to an LA lawyer and he commented that one of the sad things he sees lately in gang cases he prosecutes is that a large number of the gang members are wearing ink these days featuring the Dodgers. Seems to be one thing gangbangers can agree on in LA, the Dodgers.

Stupid.

Too old to wear a jersey? Since when was wearing a jersey a "kids only" thing? I wear jerseys all the time, in fact I have a large amount of soccer jerseys which I prefer to wear on hot summer days as cotton t-shirts are much warmer.

I also don't have any problem showing support for the visiting team in another team's stadium. With that said if I'm wearing the visiting team's jersey I expect to be hassled a bit. For example: every time I wear my Argos jersey in Hamilton I expect to take a little bit of verbal abuse or even some slight physical abuse (a push here or someone shoving one of those tiger-cat paws in may face. Nothing over the top).

What I never understand is when someone wears a jersey to game and it's of a team that's not playing. Example: I see a lot of OV or Crosby jerseys at Leafs games when the Leafs are not playing Washington or Pittsburgh. I never understood that.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

This writer is horrible and has no concept of rationality!

He tries to claim that wearing a jersey makes you fake b/c you're not a player. What's the difference between wearing a SF Giants jersey, and wearing a SF Giants hat or hoodie? There's still going to be the potential for bad blood.

But, everyone has the right to wear their teams colors...ESPECIALLY when that team is playing the other...I mean good god. "Don't come into the stadium unless you are wearing Dodger blue and white" .... we live in a free country. This "journalist" is a borderline nazi for all I care.

I went to the Braves opener in Atlanta the other day....sat next to a group of Phillies fans (who were...annoying) and some misplaced dude in a Mets JERSEY! ...best Braves game I'd been to in a while, and it was all in good fun...even though the Mets fan was drunk off his ass...and obviously looked STUPID for showing up. But I'm positive nobody there had any thoughts of trying to beat his ass to a pulp.

It's a shame that drunkards are foolish enough to assault someone for that dumb of a reason, but there is no fault in wearing an opponents jersey to a game.

The fact this guy tried to fart an article out of his ass to say otherwise really baffles me

Check out this guy's website. This is just one of the many reprehensible opinions he espouses.

Oh, and he clumsily tries to defend this article. "Oh I didn't say he was ASKING for it, I just said he shouldn't have worn a Giants jersey to Dodger stadium." So, he was asking for it.

His complete lack of empathy for the victim ("well just don't wear the opposing team's gear, problem solved") is far more disturbing than anything he says about being too old for a jersey.

1zgyd8w.jpg

For example: every time I wear my Argos jersey in Hamilton I expect to take a little bit of verbal abuse or even some slight physical abuse (a push here or someone shoving one of those tiger-cat paws in may face. Nothing over the top).

Speaking as a Ti-cat fan, I think even slight physical abuse, a push here, shoving a foam Ti-cat paw in your face is over the line. Friendly jibes, verbal taunts is fine, even enjoyable between opposing fans, it's part of the game day experience. There are too many drunken louts that take it too far, turn it into open warfare, and they should be the ones manhandled out of the stadium...permanently . I want you to feel you are in enemy territory at Ivor Wynne, but I also enjoy the colour and exuberance Argos fans (as well as those of other teams) bring to the game. I would never want you to feel threatened or unwelcomed.

tigercatssignature-1.png

As has been pointed out several times in the article's comments, this dope's arguments are the sports equivalent of "Yeah, but look at that skirt she was wearing, she was totally asking for it." But hey, this hack (who didn't even spell the victim's name right, initially) got unprecedented page views for his paper in bum :censored: nowhere, so I'm sure his bosses are thrilled, and he probably can't get enough of patting himself on the back for a troll well done.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I wore my Leafs jersey on a trip to downtown Toronto in the middle of the 2005 NHL Lockout. There is never a bad time (except formal events, like a wedding or funeral) to wear a jersey. Too old to wear a jersey? Is he next going to say that retired players should not wear their jerseys, because they're "not part of the team" anymore?

To keep with the Ti-Cats/Argos discussion. If you see someone wearing the other team's jersey on your turf, I have no problem with throwing them an "Oskee-wee-wee" or a "ARRRRRGOOOOOSSSS", but physical violence is unnecessary.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I don't even know where to start...This writer is a joke, and I seriously hope he is unemployed now because of this disgraceful article.

The comments below the article are a good indication of the reaction this piece has received. As is the 1.05 rating out of 5.

Due to an overwhelming response, comments have been stopped.

What I never understand is when someone wears a jersey to game and it's of a team that's not playing. Example: I see a lot of OV or Crosby jerseys at Leafs games when the Leafs are not playing Washington or Pittsburgh. I never understood that.

What's the big deal? They like hockey, they are at a hockey game, they are repping their favorite team/player. I'd go see an NHL game between two teams that aren't my favorite because I like the sport. Plus I like seeing cool, non-fake jerseys, especially ones of random guys. For example, I thought it was neat seeing a guy in a purple and gold Bernie Nicholls jersey at Mellon Arena once even though the Kings weren't playing.

Goes double for minor league jerseys. Lots of people at baseball and hockey games have asked me about some of the goofy minor league jerseys I have (Salmon Kings, Isotopes, Biscuits, etc.).

Now, the real problem is people wearing jerseys from a completely different sport.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Can't believe this guy would write something sorta getting on the poor dude who is in a coma for wearing a jersey.

But when it comes to jerseys, I don't wear them at all. I just think they look bad on a grown man, especially football jerseys. To each his own though.

FSU2.gif

Archived