NHL OFFSEASON - 2011

charger77

Yeah, for true hockey fans, it's a lot more exciting to see a 0-0 goalie battle unfolding than a 6-4 game with a pair of sieves. You know that every turnover, every shot could lead to your team winning or losing.

I can't wait for this season though. Really think the Jackets are a playoff team right now.

I'm in this anxious/curious mode. I have all these questions and I can't wait to see them answered. On paper, this is the best team they've ever iced so that's exciting. It all falls on Steve Mason and that's my biggest concern. I do have this weird feeling that Mark Dekanich will be the next "out of nowhere" good goalie in the NHL though.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

CNBC's Darren Rovell reports that Bruce Ratner and Brett Yormark visited officials of the National Hockey League Thursday. A Nets insider confirmed the meeting, which took place at the NHL offices in Manhattan, but declined to discuss any details of the meeting. It's one more indication that the Barclays Center is serious about luring the Islanders to Brooklyn.

In his tweet, Rovell wrote, "Barclays Center Developer Ratner & CEO Yormark spotted at NHL offices today. Brooklyn Islanders?" The big issue, of course, is whether the league would approve an arena with a limited capacity for hockey and questionable sightlines. The Islanders' plan to build a new Nassau Coliseum was rejected by Long Island voters earlier this week. Their lease runs out in 2015.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/8/18/2371754/ratner-yormark-meet-nhl-officials

Wow, somebody brought that up here before HFBoards' Islanders boards. They're too busy complaining how MSG changed a viewing party game from the Penguins brawl game to a win against the Sabres and are going on and on about how Bettman and the Penguin conspiracy's to blame :P (yes I'm being serious)

That is a positive sign, however. Anything to keep the Islanders in the NYC area sounds good to me, even if it means playing in an arena that can only seat 14K

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

CNBC's Darren Rovell reports that Bruce Ratner and Brett Yormark visited officials of the National Hockey League Thursday. A Nets insider confirmed the meeting, which took place at the NHL offices in Manhattan, but declined to discuss any details of the meeting. It's one more indication that the Barclays Center is serious about luring the Islanders to Brooklyn.

In his tweet, Rovell wrote, "Barclays Center Developer Ratner & CEO Yormark spotted at NHL offices today. Brooklyn Islanders?" The big issue, of course, is whether the league would approve an arena with a limited capacity for hockey and questionable sightlines. The Islanders' plan to build a new Nassau Coliseum was rejected by Long Island voters earlier this week. Their lease runs out in 2015.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2011/8/18/2371754/ratner-yormark-meet-nhl-officials

Yeah, it needs to be about 30 degrees hotter and a lot further South before we consider that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Wow, somebody brought that up here before HFBoards' Islanders boards. They're too busy complaining how MSG changed a viewing party game from the Penguins brawl game to a win against the Sabres and are going on and on about how Bettman and the Penguin conspiracy's to blame :P (yes I'm being serious)

Because that's so much more likely than them realizing that honoring the disgraceful goon-fest of a hockey game that was would be in poor taste.

It's stuff like this that's why anymore I find a lot of the obligatory penguins hatred amusing.

oBIgzrL.png

Because that's so much more likely than them realizing that honoring the disgraceful goon-fest of a hockey game that was would be in poor taste.

It's stuff like this that's why anymore I find a lot of the obligatory penguins hatred amusing.

Well, as an Islander fan myself, I want to bash my head in sometimes 95% of the time when I'm reading the Islanders HFBoard and/or talking to some people I know who have season tickets. I won't even get started on things like trade proposals or free agency offers to people that have no change in hell of ending up on the island or anything regarding the Coliseum or "BRING BACK ROCK AND ROLL PART 2 AS THE GOAAAL SONGGG!!1!"

Actually, did I just generalize HFBoards as a whole? Well, my point remains, I can't stand my own favorite team's fans a lot of the time. This is one of them

EDIT: For the lulz, and remember this is being talked about instead of the Barclays Center situation which may affect the future of the team. A freakin' re-air of a game in the middle of the summer that while was a turning point in the Islanders season, had little hockey in it.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

• 2 weeks later...

Flames have traded Daymond Langkow to the Phoenix Coyotes pending a physical.

No word on return, rumor is Lee Stempniak. :therock:

How is Langkow set to earn 4.5 million this year? :wacko:

Yeah, so some cap relief is nice. I'm not expecting much back from this trade. Langkow is coming off of a scary injury and only got into three games at the end of last season. He's probably one of the more under-appreciated guys in the NHL and can do a lot of good. We were expecting him to reignite Rene Bourque this season, but doesn't look like that will happen, Bourque's going to have to do it on his own.

EDIT: Confirmed by Darren Dreger. Lee Stempniak to Calgary, pending Langkow's physical.

Not gonna complain about getting Stempniak back. He's cheap, 28 and is a UFA next summer just like Langkow. Good move Feaster.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I have question for Lightning fans:

This offseason the Wild sighned former Lightning player Mike Lundin, so I was wondering if this guy is a well known house hold name type of guy or is he a mediocre player?

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Are the Coyotes trying to lose now? I don't get it. Stempniak was one of the real bright contributors for the Yotes.

Ah well, I guess everyone gets to a point where they're like " :censored: it."

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It's tough to understand but the Yotes were probably the thinnest team at Centre so I guess Langkow is a slight improvement. If he is truly 100% healthy he can do really well for them. I hope he does do well and he can stay healthy. Honestly both players are UFA's and if they don't do well, they won't be back and both will have Cap Space in the end.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

i know I've been bitching about this for far too long but wish i could live this one more time. I miss walking around downtown and every third person you saw was wearing a canucks jersey. All the buzz around it. I :censored:ing miss hockey man, this has been a LOOOOOOONG off season.

sport-scarf_celtic-2_zps105bfcbf.png

This offseason has been really long. Probably the longest that I can remember. Last year I had the Reds to keep me occupied and I had nothing to look forward to with the Blue Jackets so opening night really snuck up on me. This year I have a countdown clock going and the days are inching by.

Anyway, the ice went in at Nationwide Arena yesterday. We're getting closer.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm with you. After the super-short summer last year, this has been an agonizing deathmarch. I've been reading about how Ben Smith and Dave Bolland are busting their asses like crazy people this summer, Duncan Keith and Marian Hossa are virtually in medically induced comas after years of overuse, Patrick Kane has been using his wrist injury to get on an insane cardio regimen instead of his usual insane teenagers-and-blow regimen. After a season as disappointing as last year, all this empty hype actually has me excited about what can be.

Want a good idea of how bad last year really was? As of today, seven players from the 2010-11 Blackhawks do not have NHL contracts heading into this season: Marty Turco, Nick Boynton, Jassen Cullimore, Chris Campoli, Jordan Hendry, Ryan Johnson, and Fernando Pisani. Hendry has a tryout with the Wild (doesn't look good), and Campoli will probably get his contract eventually (though it is getting late), but the rest of those guys are done. Seven guys! Out of the league! Just another feather for the Toews-wills-crappy-players-to-victory cap, I suppose.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Needs more fire.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The wait is agonizing. After such a disappointing second half last year, I just want the season to start so the pens can have another go at it with Geno and (hopefully) Sid back.

Silly videos like this one can only keep me occupied for so long...

oBIgzrL.png

Archived