2011 NFL Season

TBGKon

Looking through the NFL pickem thread, only one person picked the Bengals to win yesterday. Ill give you three guesses as to who that was.

/brag

Seriously though, I was listening to the Cleveland pregame on XM and you wouldve thought the browns were fielding the 85 Bears. What is with that city and annually vastly over-estimating its football team?

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic opening line in the Atlanta paper's coverage of the Falcons' meltdown in Chicago:

===

CHICAGO ? When the Falcons said they wanted to get more explosive this season, did they mean like Wile E. Coyote explosive?

===

:D

It wasn't as much of a meltdown as it was a beatdown. The Bears were the better team. I have long thought the Falcons were fools gold, although I couldn't have imagined how much of an egg they would lay against GB last year. Still, the Bears are a damn good team. They didn't blitz at all yesterday, yet they were in Ryan's face the whole game. If Julius Peppers cares the whole season and they can continue getting that kind of pass rush using just the front four, they are going to win a lot of games.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Listening to both major local sports radio stations right now, and I'm pretty sure that the Eagles actually got beat 62 to negative 3. In fairness, I stick by my earlier comment that any team that tries to throw the ball is ridiculous, when you can just hand it off up the middle 100 times per game and not get stopped. Casey Matthews must have been adopted or something, because he's simply overmatched right now, and that's even giving him the benefit of the doubt for being a rookie. You have a defensive coordinator who is a career offensive line coach, brand new position coaches, a little boy playing MLB, and dollar-store safeties. Putrid. The OL will get better during the season, but there will certainly be some growing pains, and they very well may result with Vick getting broken in half.

Fun fact - their rookie 7th-round center is so green that Michael Vick is actually calling out the line protections and adjustments at the line, which is the center's job. Meanwhile, you have a veteran former-starter just sitting on the bench. Brilliant.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

All of those problems, all of those new guys, in a loud dome, and they still won by 18. It's gonna be scary when they're actually clicking on all cylinders. I hate the LBs and the run defense is gonna be a problem all year, but you gotta admit it was nice to see the defense get 5 sacks without blitzing. Don't think we've seen that in 15 years. And I'm not as nervous about the Henery/Henry duo as I was a week ago...

Seriously though, I was listening to the Cleveland pregame on XM and you wouldve thought the browns were fielding the 85 Bears. What is with that city and annually vastly over-estimating its football team?

You just have to be from there to understand.

All of those problems, all of those new guys, in a loud dome, and they still won by 18. It's gonna be scary when they're actually clicking on all cylinders. I hate the LBs and the run defense is gonna be a problem all year, but you gotta admit it was nice to see the defense get 5 sacks without blitzing. Don't think we've seen that in 15 years. And I'm not as nervous about the Henery/Henry duo as I was a week ago...

They were playing the Rams. They get crushed yesterday against a decent team. If Steven Jackson doesn't get hurt, who knows what could've happened.

Ike Reese said it best this morning - even once they start to "click on all cylinders", you can't overcome being physically overmatched, which is what the LBs are. Everyone can learn how to play with each other, and the defensive scheme (assuming there is one), but no amount of gelling or experience is going to prevent you from getting knocked on your ass if you're a little pvssy like Casey Mathews or a moron like Moise Fokou.

Like I said, I think that the line will improve - I can't believe they started a guy that they just got off the street along side of a rookie center and a left guard that's also new. Their only hope is that the line gets good enough to allow Vick to actually throw the ball (as opposed to just taking off) and they build big leads which make the other teams decide to throw instead of run. Otherwise, it'll be a very disappointing season.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

They were playing the Rams. They get crushed yesterday against a decent team. If Steven Jackson doesn't get hurt, who knows what could've happened.

Ike Reese said it best this morning - even once they start to "click on all cylinders", you can't overcome being physically overmatched, which is what the LBs are. Everyone can learn how to play with each other, and the defensive scheme (assuming there is one), but no amount of gelling or experience is going to prevent you from getting knocked on your ass if you're a little pvssy like Casey Mathews or a moron like Moise Fokou.

Like I said, I think that the line will improve - I can't believe they started a guy that they just got off the street along side of a rookie center and a left guard that's also new. Their only hope is that the line gets good enough to allow Vick to actually throw the ball (as opposed to just taking off) and they build big leads which make the other teams decide to throw instead of run. Otherwise, it'll be a very disappointing season.

You just have to be from there to understand.

I tried telling him that yesterday on Twitter. He just refuses to get it. C'mon Mac, Ice_Cap gets it. So can you. :D

BB52Big.jpg

It's a Jersey thing. Only in Cleveland.

Exactly...I think. As I told McCarthy yesterday, I'm new at this modern Cleveland fan stuff. I may make some mistakes as I'm learning the system. Seriously though, I really hope you all don't think a few overzealous fans represent all Browns/Cleveland fans. I can assure you that most of us are pretty rational. For what it's worth, the majority of us are just as tired of the overzealous fans as the non-Cleveland fans are.

BB52Big.jpg

Eric Berry's done for the season. Not a great start at all for the Chiefs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Goodell needs to go into system settings and turn injuries to "low."

Per twitter, Bradford just has a bruise, and is sore, but should play.

Marion Barber should practice this week, I'd say he's gonna be a game day decision, Lance Louis is doubtful with an ankle. Unsure on Roy Williams status.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The Lions medical staff is on call with gorilla glue to repair Stafford's shattered (insert various important part of skeleton), which is impending over the next couple weeks.

twitter

Archived