Nike NFL uniforms "sneak peak"

fifthandlaurel

I find it interesting that the idea of putting a logo on the Browns' helmets is a hot topic that never seems to go away, yet there are more than a handful of prominent college teams that don't have logos on their helmets but no one seems to want to put logos on their helmets. Does that mean that a logo-less helmet is more of a college tradition and not fitting for the NFL??? I'm being serious...is it? Haven't the Browns worn logo-less helmets for almost as long if not longer than Ohio State, Penn State & Notre Dame to name a few? I would imagine that is long enough to establish a tradition that is well worth keeping and leaving untouched. Is it because an all orange helmet looks garish??? I've always been puzzled by this. Any thoughts?

I just find a plain helmet to look "cheap." Something that a high school team would wear. However, I stated in one of my previous posts if they would just use the "Bulldog" or the "<=B=>" or any type of logo other than the helmet would make the team look more professional. I like the Browns, but I am just sick of the same old look week in and week out every year. I just wish they would make a change at some point, because their history is rich and all, but I was not born in the 1950s and could honestly care less about NFL Championships. I say make a change, establish the team as the New Browns and stop living in the past.

im sorry, but if you dont care about those championships, then you dont have any championships

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you not read the quote I was replying too? The guy said that Reebok had developed custom colors for those teams. I never said Nike had full control, although I wish they did.

He was referring to saying Nike should force the Browns to wear brown more. Nike has absolutely no control on what combos the team wears or when they will wear them.

Yes, this. I was directly referencing your notion that Nike should include more brown and force them to wear that color more frequently. If the Browns don't want any more striping, panels, swooshes of color, etc, they will simply say no. Nike really has no power here. The only teams that undergo a makeover or slight tweaks will be teams that willingly agreed to do so. Nike cannot dictate what the teams wear or what they look like.

but since nike makes alot of money already and people really like it, I think the teams will put a good amount of consideration into their designs

The NFL and its teams really don't rely on merch sales, recruiting of high-school blue-chippers and public opinion of their brand the same way colleges do, so I don't think it would ever come to that. NFL teams have their fans, and they know their fans buy things. Some fans buy new things when they change the identity, and other fans always boycott the new gear. Changing identities is more about putting the attitude of whatever new administration takes office out there. It's more of an ego thing in the NFL than in college, where it's more of a tool to indirectly make your team better.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Sorry, the Browns uniforms should never change. Not one single thing. Although they don't have iconic colors or a design, it's a classic uniform much in the same way the Yankees are.

You can't do anything to it outside of possibly changing the font for numbers and names, and even then you have to be very careful. Look at the Steelers, a nice tweek to make it modern.

The Browns are limited. If anything, they should add an orange alternate with the same sleeve striping and font. The one they went too was too different. Maybe add a different color completely for the alternate, like black was with the Lions. It won't be the Browns, but it'll work.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

1319539143' post='1668030']

I think the Steelers are a cautionary tale, warning us that even a tweak which must have seemed minor can absolutely ruin a classic uniform

Oh I disagree with that. I think the new numbers look great, they just need to slant the ones on the helmet to match. I don't think the same kind of tweak would work for the Browns tho, even if it's essentially the same uniform. Maybe a Lakers-esque serif font or something like the classic cowboys.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sorry, the Browns uniforms should never change. Not one single thing. Although they don't have iconic colors or a design, it's a classic uniform much in the same way the Yankees are.

You can't do anything to it outside of possibly changing the font for numbers and names, and even then you have to be very careful. Look at the Steelers, a nice tweek to make it modern.

The Browns are limited. If anything, they should add an orange alternate with the same sleeve striping and font. The one they went too was too different. Maybe add a different color completely for the alternate, like black was with the Lions. It won't be the Browns, but it'll work.

You just went and ruined a great conversation by talking about the Devil (Yankees) thanks, now I have lost all interest in this thread.

spacer.png

Although they don't have iconic colors...

What!? They're one of two or three teams in the history of sports to use the orange and brown color scheme. It's among the most iconic sets of colors in sports.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Although they don't have iconic colors...

What!? They're one of two or three teams in the history of sports to use the orange and brown color scheme. It's among the most iconic sets of colors in sports.

unique? yes. iconic? no. given the browns long standing tradition of mediocrity in the post-merger nfl, I don't think the franchise has been relevant enough for their colors to be considered iconic....the real iconic color sets in the nfl would be those of the 49ers, cowboys, steelers, and possibly the modern day pats.

unique? yes. iconic? no. given the browns long standing tradition of mediocrity in the post-merger nfl, I don't think the franchise has been relevant enough for their colors to be considered iconic....the real iconic color sets in the nfl would be those of the 49ers, cowboys, steelers, and possibly the modern day pats.

LMAO..."iconic" has nothing to do with records. The current Patriots uniforms and logo are not iconic, yet they are a dynasty. The Cardinals helmet and logo are extremely iconic yet their franchise has always been a joke. Both the Browns and Colts have iconic colors, logos, and uniforms.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

LMAO..."iconic" has nothing to do with records. The current Patriots uniforms and logo are not iconic, yet they are a dynasty. The Cardinals helmet and logo are extremely iconic yet their franchise has always been a joke. Both the Browns and Colts have iconic colors, logos, and uniforms.

I disagree...part of being an icon is being relevant (hence w-l records) otherwise the uniqueness that you describe goes completely unnoticed or is relegated to a small geographical region like the cards and browns...for the colts I tend to think of their look as being too bland and generic to warrrant icon status and the only reason I'd even consider the pats (which I'm starting to doubt myself) was the massive amount of success and media coverage that they've had since the brady era...two other teams I left off are the packers amd raiders which definitely belong.

a good test of icon qualification would be to poll random people on the street and I guarantee nobody outside of ohio is going to say that the orange and brown of the browns is the most iconic color scheme in pro football let alone all pro sports...you're top answers are going to be raiders, cowboys, steelers, packers and niners.

i·con·ic   [ahy-kon-ik] Show IPA

adjective

of, pertaining to, or characteristic of an icon.

Art. (of statues, portraits, etc.) executed according to a convention or tradition.

"Iconic clothing has been secularized.... A guardsman in a dress uniform is ostensibly an icon of aggression; his coat is red as the blood he hopes to shed. Seen on a coat-hanger, with no man inside it, the uniform loses all its blustering significance and, to the innocent eye seduced by decorative colour and tactile braid, it is as abstract in symbolic information as a parasol to an Eskimo. It becomes simply magnificent."

-Angela Carter

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1319539143' post='1668030']

I think the Steelers are a cautionary tale, warning us that even a tweak which must have seemed minor can absolutely ruin a classic uniform

Oh I disagree with that. I think the new numbers look great, they just need to slant the ones on the helmet to match. I don't think the same kind of tweak would work for the Browns tho, even if it's essentially the same uniform. Maybe a Lakers-esque serif font or something like the classic cowboys.

I definitely side with the new Steelers' numbers have ruined a great uniform. Went from being a look that was all bold/strong to a mix of bold and sleek/fancy. Doesn't work. Every time I see Iowa play (with the correct numbers), it really makes the difference painfully obvious.

I disagree...part of being an icon is being relevant (hence w-l records) otherwise the uniqueness that you describe goes completely unnoticed or is relegated to a small geographical region like the cards and browns...for the colts I tend to think of their look as being too bland and generic to warrrant icon status and the only reason I'd even consider the pats (which I'm starting to doubt myself) was the massive amount of success and media coverage that they've had since the brady era...two other teams I left off are the packers amd raiders which definitely belong.

a good test of icon qualification would be to poll random people on the street and I guarantee nobody outside of ohio is going to say that the orange and brown of the browns is the most iconic color scheme in pro football let alone all pro sports...you're top answers are going to be raiders, cowboys, steelers, packers and niners.

When did I say the Browns are the most iconic of all sports? Now you're just making up :censored: . But when the Browns, Colts, and a few select others are on TV, you instantly know who they are. That is iconic when you consider the long rich history of these select franchises.

BTW, yes...the Radiers, Cowboys, Steelers, and Packers do have iconic looks. I wouldn't put the 49ers in that category, but they are close.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

When did I say the Browns are the most iconic of all sports? Now you're just making up :censored: . But when the Browns, Colts, and a few select others are on TV, you instantly know who they are. That is iconic when you consider the long rich history of these select franchises.

BTW, yes...the Radiers, Cowboys, Steelers, and Packers do have iconic looks. I wouldn't put the 49ers in that category, but they are close.

I would say that more than half the NFL are teams that have "iconic" or "instantly-recognizable" looks.

train_wreck.jpg

Nike NFL uniforms "sneak peak"

i agree....so johnny hear anything new lately?

Nothing much right now except my close friend at Partex hinted at the following (not confirmed):

- The Panthers are getting a brand new look and expect a few monchrome combinations and a new helmet.

- The Seahawks are getting an update that will focus on their dark navy blue and a new helmet (probably just a different color).

- The Steelers are wearing a different alternate throwback uniform.

- The Redskins may tamper with black *runs for cover*.

- The Falcons are more than likely going back to a primary black jersey and possibly (not likely) a red helmet.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Archived