• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got this from a source that says:

• Browns are possibly bringing back orange pants
  • Seahawks are changing their uniforms
  • Dolphins are thinking about changing their uniforms
  • Browns uniforms will be the same

I am so hopeful the Dolphins will loose the navy blue and return to their traditional look. Just watched highlights of that amazing playoff game vs the Chargers (82?) and both teams looked great. Dolphins especially looked great without all the extra stuff thrown on to their uni.

Miami+Dolphins+1200.jpg

The Panthers don't wear Carolina blue, they wear electric blue. Hopefully that won't change. I for one, welcome the black helmets with joyously open arms. I think a blue helmet would be over-the-top.

over-the-top meaning badass...too many teams with black helmets already...enough silver ones too...a metallic electric blue shell would be unique and stunning.

I disagree...part of being an icon is being relevant (hence w-l records) otherwise the uniqueness that you describe goes completely unnoticed or is relegated to a small geographical region like the cards and browns...for the colts I tend to think of their look as being too bland and generic to warrrant icon status and the only reason I'd even consider the pats (which I'm starting to doubt myself) was the massive amount of success and media coverage that they've had since the brady era...two other teams I left off are the packers amd raiders which definitely belong.

a good test of icon qualification would be to poll random people on the street and I guarantee nobody outside of ohio is going to say that the orange and brown of the browns is the most iconic color scheme in pro football let alone all pro sports...you're top answers are going to be raiders, cowboys, steelers, packers and niners.

Nowhere did anyone imply that the Browns have the most iconic color scheme, but the Browns do, in fact, have an iconic color scheme. Likewise, depending on the region and time period you poll these random people on the street, their answers are going to be wildly different, so that's not a good measure. Poll anyone in the 80s, and the Packers, Steelers and Cowboys are probably not making the list, but the Browns certainly are. I would agree that part of being an icon is being relevant, but being relevant doesn't necessarily mean being successful. I think the Browns are among the best examples of team that is relevant for its misfortune (Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble). They've proven a team can certainly be iconic as much for its failure as its success (also the Buffalo Bills, Chicago Cubs, etc.). They have 16 Hall of Famers (the only teams with more have been around much longer) and the most iconic running back of all time is known for wearing the brown and orange.

In the overall landscape of football (not just the opinion of people off the street who have been paying attention since 1995), the Browns are iconic, and so is their color scheme. Think of it this way. Show someone black and gold, and you'll get a lot of people who think of the Steelers first, but you'll also get a people who think of the Pirates, the Penguins, The Univ. of Iowa, etc. Show someone brown and orange, and you're going to get one answer: Cleveland Browns, unless your tester is an old guy from St. Louis or a BGSU alum. That's iconic.

The Colts are too bland to be iconic, but the Packers and Raiders definitely belong? You've been caught in a contradiction.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I disagree...part of being an icon is being relevant (hence w-l records) otherwise the uniqueness that you describe goes completely unnoticed or is relegated to a small geographical region like the cards and browns...for the colts I tend to think of their look as being too bland and generic to warrrant icon status and the only reason I'd even consider the pats (which I'm starting to doubt myself) was the massive amount of success and media coverage that they've had since the brady era...two other teams I left off are the packers amd raiders which definitely belong.

a good test of icon qualification would be to poll random people on the street and I guarantee nobody outside of ohio is going to say that the orange and brown of the browns is the most iconic color scheme in pro football let alone all pro sports...you're top answers are going to be raiders, cowboys, steelers, packers and niners.

Nowhere did anyone imply that the Browns have the most iconic color scheme, but the Browns do, in fact, have an iconic color scheme. Likewise, depending on the region and time period you poll these random people on the street, their answers are going to be wildly different, so that's not a good measure. Poll anyone in the 80s, and the Packers, Steelers and Cowboys are probably not making the list, but the Browns certainly are. I would agree that part of being an icon is being relevant, but being relevant doesn't necessarily mean being successful. I think the Browns are among the best examples of team that is relevant for its misfortune (Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble). They've proven a team can certainly be iconic as much for its failure as its success (also the Buffalo Bills, Chicago Cubs, etc.). They have 16 Hall of Famers (the only teams with more have been around much longer) and the most iconic running back of all time is known for wearing the brown and orange.

In the overall landscape of football (not just the opinion of people off the street who have been paying attention since 1995), the Browns are iconic, and so is their color scheme. Think of it this way. Show someone black and gold, and you'll get a lot of people who think of the Steelers first, but you'll also get a people who think of the Pirates, the Penguins, The Univ. of Iowa, etc. Show someone brown and orange, and you're going to get one answer: Cleveland Browns, unless your tester is an old guy from St. Louis or a BGSU alum. That's iconic.

The Colts are too bland to be iconic, but the Packers and Raiders definitely belong? You've been caught in a contradiction.

I think your position has been heavily skewed to your fan bias. the browns simply lack the prestige (read that as history of success and national popularity)for either the team or it's colors to be considered iconic...they are a very popular regional football team with a long history (much like the eagles or lions)but outside of their region and hardcore fans the browns and their colors are not particularly relevant...in the pro sports world they are unique but are much more niche than iconic.

your hypothesis about polling "anyone in the 80's" is utter nonsense considering that those 3 teams were the first 3 dynasties of the post merger nfl and aside from the packers continued to be marquee franchises in the 80's.

in regard to my contradictory statement, yes black/silver and green/yellow are much more unique and iconic color schemes than blue/white so there's no contradiction there.

fact of the matter is that we've got two entirely different perspectives on defining iconic...I can see where you are coming from but I respectfully disagree.

Anyone have anything on the Patriots. I love their current dark set, not so much the light.

These are the changes I would accept or even hope for...

- No more Navy Blue pants and striped socks. Use the silver pants and blue socks with both home and away.

- Make the red side pannel stripes the same thickness as they are on the pants.

- A simplified/modernized Pat Patriot on the current silver hemet/red mask.

- A slight lightening of the navy blue, not a return to the '90s blue.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling my Vikings would wear their throwbacks even more often if the league would let them. They tend to wear them whenever they might get a little more national ateention, which would lead you to believe that the old look is the one they'd rather have represent them.

Any chance they ditch the over-paneled mess and update the throwbacks? (My wish list would include the current helmet, the throwback jersey plus outlined numbers and logo above the NOB, possibly reversing the colors on the pants stripe.)

Anyone have anything on the Patriots. I love their current dark set, not so much the light.

These are the changes I would accept or even hope for...

- No more Navy Blue pants and striped socks. Use the silver pants and blue socks with both home and away.

- Make the red side pannel stripes the same thickness as they are on the pants.

- A simplified/modernized Pat Patriot on the current silver hemet/red mask.

- A slight lightening of the navy blue, not a return to the '90s blue.

See, I think the away set is a lot better than the current home set. Silver pants really don't look good on the away set - remember the Canon commercial where the Pats are playing the Chargers in silver/white/silver uniforms? It looked bad, I think (though it looked decent in the 90s, the commercial messed it up for me).

Agreed about the jersey piping and pants stripes.

Pat Patriot looks terrible on anything other than throwback sets.

The current navy is good for me. Don't want a Cleveland Indians "navy".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling my Vikings would wear their throwbacks even more often if the league would let them. They tend to wear them whenever they might get a little more national ateention, which would lead you to believe that the old look is the one they'd rather have represent them.

Any chance they ditch the over-paneled mess and update the throwbacks? (My wish list would include the current helmet, the throwback jersey plus outlined numbers and logo above the NOB, possibly reversing the colors on the pants stripe.)

you just said what ive been saying for months now! you are my friend! haha, thats exactly what they need to do!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived