Nike NFL uniforms "sneak peak"

fifthandlaurel

WOW! I did not know those teams had custom colors. I love the Buccaneers pewter and I really don't want to see that go. As far as the Browns, hopefully Nike will put more brown in their white jerseys and force them to wear the color more often.

I think you're giving Nike too much credit for the level of control they hold. This is the NFL, the league who holds their member's branding and visual identity to such a high standard. The NFL is Nike's customer and supplies what they want to them. Sure they might propose ideas or concepts to teams, but it is up to the teams how they will represent themselves. Nike will in NO way come in and "dictate" or "force" teams to wear certain garments, styles, colors, etc. If the Browns want to look the exact same in 2012, they will look the exact same, as they should. If the Bucs want to wear pewter pants (as they should), Nike will make a color extremely similar to the current pewter.

Did you not read the quote I was replying too? The guy said that Reebok had developed custom colors for those teams. I never said Nike had full control, although I wish they did.

He was referring to saying Nike should force the Browns to wear brown more. Nike has absolutely no control on what combos the team wears or when they will wear them.

jNTsTyQ.png

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you not read the quote I was replying too? The guy said that Reebok had developed custom colors for those teams. I never said Nike had full control, although I wish they did.

He was referring to saying Nike should force the Browns to wear brown more. Nike has absolutely no control on what combos the team wears or when they will wear them.

Yes, this. I was directly referencing your notion that Nike should include more brown and force them to wear that color more frequently. If the Browns don't want any more striping, panels, swooshes of color, etc, they will simply say no. Nike really has no power here. The only teams that undergo a makeover or slight tweaks will be teams that willingly agreed to do so. Nike cannot dictate what the teams wear or what they look like.

Yes, this. I was directly referencing your notion that Nike should include more brown and force them to wear that color more frequently. If the Browns don't want any more striping, panels, swooshes of color, etc, they will simply say no. Nike really has no power here. The only teams that undergo a makeover or slight tweaks will be teams that willingly agreed to do so. Nike cannot dictate what the teams wear or what they look like.

but since nike makes alot of money already and people really like it, I think the teams will put a good amount of consideration into their designs

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think the last thing that Nike would ever do is produce something that doesn't have a prominently-placed swoosh. Seriously, aren't they the ones that started logo creep? If they weren't the first, they definitely made it the cool thing to do.

I was thinking something like this, which is an admittedly quick and crude mock-up

newnikelogoplacement.jpg

I tacked on the NFL logo because I know they love to do the same. I also picked the pats because they're the only team with a striped collar AND a wordmark above the numbers, otherwise, Green Bay would have been the best for their striped collar. But I think you get the idea.

The placement of the logos is dictated by the NFL, not the licensee, so the league would have to drop its own guidelines for the swoosh to appear anywhere other than the sleeves and the hip.

One of the other companies actually did a pitch that would have de-branded all the on-field product, i.e. no manufacturer's logo. The jerseys would have only had NFL branding on them. Obviously, Nike's $50 million per year spoke a little louder than the idea of giving the NFL its own clean brand.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Per one of my contacts with Adidas, Ripon was informed that Nike will not be using them to manufacture NFL on-field jerseys next season, as was ACO. Nike will be using the same supplier that is responsible for their college line. Several teams are trying to block this move. Every team has already received proposed jerseys from Nike, none of them done by Ripon.

That's pretty sad. I hope Nike's on-field supplier is at least based in the United States. It would be a major shame if the workers at Ripon got laid off because Nike is sourcing overseas.

Their authentic, premier and replica jerseys will be from overseas. This will be interesting if their on-field uni's will end up being overseas too.

Doubt it, same person told me Nike's current college on-field partner (which I believe is still Powers) was doing all of their NFL jerseys. If that's the case, they'll be made in the USA as well.

as much as I hate manufacturers' logos, I wish they'd figure out a better placement for them, even if it's more obvious. If they're getting rid of the NFL Equipment shield, how about putting the swoosh there and not bothering with the sleeves, which are already way too cluttered? Idk if that's the solution, and I hope they don't figure on "why don't we put them both places?" but something really should be done now that this change is going on.

Also, I'm REALLY looking forward to a 1933 Steelers throwback. I've been looking at the ones people have been making on their own on ebay (is it really a fake if it's the only way to get one?), but I'd really rather buy a real one. I hope that rumor is true.

Yeah I think the logos could use a better placement. The only problem with a collar logo is that it would probably be hard for it not to get lost on teams with striped collars. Chest? Underneath the collar on the back? Maybe Nike surprises everyone and just doesn't out one, maybe uses flywire or something as their signature. Luckily their logos not as big as the reebox

I think the last thing that Nike would ever do is produce something that doesn't have a prominently-placed swoosh. Seriously, aren't they the ones that started logo creep? If they weren't the first, they definitely made it the cool thing to do.

I was thinking something like this, which is an admittedly quick and crude mock-up

newnikelogoplacement.jpg

I tacked on the NFL logo because I know they love to do the same. I also picked the pats because they're the only team with a striped collar AND a wordmark above the numbers, otherwise, Green Bay would have been the best for their striped collar. But I think you get the idea.

the NFL won't let the nike put the swoosh above their shield.

Doubt it, same person told me Nike's current college on-field partner (which I believe is still Powers) was doing all of their NFL jerseys. If that's the case, they'll be made in the USA as well.

I hope so.

Realistically, given the timeframe requirements and custom nature of pro football jerseys, they almost have to be made domestically.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

For teams planning to change uniforms for next season when would they make and announcement for that? I know the Bronco's have already said they're going with orange as their primary look for next season, but if the Seahawks and Panthers were to make changes should we expect announcements in season or would those come in the spring after Nike officially takes over as the official supplier? And does the supplier change even affect the timing of a potential announcement? Just curious.

For teams planning to change uniforms for next season when would they make and announcement for that? I know the Bronco's have already said they're going with orange as their primary look for next season, but if the Seahawks and Panthers were to make changes should we expect announcements in season or would those come in the spring after Nike officially takes over as the official supplier? And does the supplier change even affect the timing of a potential announcement? Just curious.

I believe the Broncos went ahead with their announcement because they are only reversing their existing primary and alternate jerseys - something they wanted to do for this season but they submitted their change notification after the NFL's uniform change deadline.

Since the Seahawks and Panthers evidently going to make major changes they will likely make their announcements after the season is over - between the Super Bowl and the Draft - when teams making uniform changes normally hold their press conference/"fashion shows". However, the NFL supplier contracts are also written to coincide with the off season - by the time they have mini-camps in the spring the new supplier will be in place and will be providing practice gear. I think this is a unique case - much like the Broncos uniforms seem to have been designed to show of Nike's then-new "batwing" side panel jerseys I would suspect that the Seahawks and Panthers new uniforms will make use of some of Nike's current uniform technology as design elements so the announcements will happen after the changeover.

The Broncos are a special case; since they're just swapping primary and tertiary jerseys, they can announce a uniform change without killing sales of the current jerseys.

You wouldn't see another club making such an announcement while the season's still on and they're hoping to sell stuff.

I believe the Broncos went ahead with their announcement because they are only reversing their existing primary and alternate jerseys - something they wanted to do for this season but they submitted their change notification after the NFL's uniform change deadline.

Since the Seahawks and Panthers evidently going to make major changes they will likely make their announcements after the season is over - between the Super Bowl and the Draft - when teams making uniform changes normally hold their press conference/"fashion shows". However, the NFL supplier contracts are also written to coincide with the off season - by the time they have mini-camps in the spring the new supplier will be in place and will be providing practice gear. I think this is a unique case - much like the Broncos uniforms seem to have been designed to show of Nike's then-new "batwing" side panel jerseys I would suspect that the Seahawks and Panthers new uniforms will make use of some of Nike's current uniform technology as design elements so the announcements will happen after the changeover.

Guess I missed the Seahawks major changes blurb. Is this for real?

Uni Watch references a possible color change for Seattle today. Possible a darker navy blue, white, and gray (to reflect the cloudy NW skies- bogus, I know). Anybody else feel like Seattle's problem isn't in the colors, but more so the use of them? I think they've got a great and unique color scheme, but go the route of steel blue overload. Balance the steel blue, navy, bright green, and white out a bit more and I think it could look great.

Where on Uni Watch does it say this specificly about the rumor of the Seahawks color change ? I read Uni Watch everyday and can't find this. It would really be stupid to change to a darker Navy when their current Navy is so dark it is almost black. They already have white pants which they need to were with their Pacific Blue jerseys. I do see them changing back to Silver helmets though......Bring back the old classic colors......

Uni Watch references a possible color change for Seattle today. Possible a darker navy blue, white, and gray (to reflect the cloudy NW skies- bogus, I know). Anybody else feel like Seattle's problem isn't in the colors, but more so the use of them? I think they've got a great and unique color scheme, but go the route of steel blue overload. Balance the steel blue, navy, bright green, and white out a bit more and I think it could look great.

Where on Uni Watch does it say this specificly about the rumor of the Seahawks color change ? I read Uni Watch everyday and can't find this. It would really be stupid to change to a darker Navy when their current Navy is so dark it is almost black. They already have white pants which they need to were with their Pacific Blue jerseys. I do see them changing back to Silver helmets though......Bring back the old classic colors......

I don't see them changing the colors much, especially since the colors are so closely connected to the stadium and Sounders FC (whom they own). If anything, maybe they move more toward the Sounders rave green (slightly more yellow) and use the shale instead of the navy blue? Maybe a metallic shale helmet although a return to the silver would be nice.

I don't see them changing the colors much, especially since the colors are so closely connected to the stadium and Sounders FC (whom they own). If anything, maybe they move more toward the Sounders rave green (slightly more yellow) and use the shale instead of the navy blue? Maybe a metallic shale helmet although a return to the silver would be nice.

It did say on there that the team did not like the navy blue and changes may be made. I hope they go back to the blue they have now.

spacer.png

1. The Seahawks need to change one or both blues, just enough to get a better contrast between them. Its a problem that they brought out the navy pants a few years ago, and most people didn't even notice.

2. Drop the tiny sleeve logo... that logo was designed to go on a helmet, and it looks spectacular there, but just doesn't work at all on a sleeve. Either go with a secondary logo, or move the TV numbers down.

3. For God's sake, wear the white pants with the blue jersey, and the blue pants with the white jersey. If I want to see cheap-looking monochrome uniforms, I can visit any one of a dozen below average local highschool teams. You're an NFL team... enough already.

so if the browns shade of brown is a custom color by reebok, does that mean they might be returning to a shade of brown that actually looks brown?

they used to wear actual brown when i was a kid. now it looks like a faded black tshirt.

Archived