2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

As long as the Heels can contain DJ Cooper, they should win. Between the bigs of Zeller, Henson, and Macadoo, it'll be too much for the Bobcats. If Ohio can get hot from the outside, it will certainly give Carolina trouble, because they've been a poor perimeter defensive team all year long. Reggie Bullock has turned into a lockdown defender, so he'll probably guard that biggest threat.

If Kendall Marshall played tonight, I would be utterly shocked. If he plays, he either has a huge pain threshold, or Roy, the UNC AD, and the UNC Hospitals played down on his injury. But even without Marshall, I think the Heels can get through Ohio. Should be a great game, just as any Sweet 16 game should be...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OU is hanging tough with North Carolina. OU is getting positively destroyed on the boards and it's still close. Go Bobcats!

Yup but they are winning the assist to turnover battle and teams that win that stat win about 90% of the time.

After points taking care of the ball is the second most important thing to do.

OU is hanging tough with North Carolina. OU is getting positively destroyed on the boards and it's still close. Go Bobcats!

Yup but they are winning the assist to turnover battle and teams that win that stat win about 90% of the time.

Maybe, but what if the Bobcats get even half of those offensive rebounds UNC came up with and then managed to turn half of those possessions into points. It would have made a huge difference.

BB52Big.jpg

What a great effort from the Bobcats. Kinda wish they didn't force the three so much. I think there was 6 or 7 possessions in the final five of the second half and overtime where they barely used any of the shot clock and took longer than NBA three point shots.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Maybe, but what if the Bobcats get even half of those offensive rebounds UNC came up with and then managed to turn half of those possessions into points. It would have made a huge difference.

I get what your saying but offensive rebounds is probably the most overrated stat in basketball to the point where its almost not even worthwhile looking at.

Teams that win the offensive rebound battle win only about 55% of the time. Defensive rebounds is about 80%.

And the way UNC plays they are always going to get alot of offensive rebounds if they aren't shooting the ball well.

The only way Ohio was going to have a chance in the game was if they forced UNC into turnovers and not allow them to get out and run and that's exactly what they did. UNC is just more talented team then Ohio and the only reason it was close was because they didn't execute their gameplan as well as Ohio did. Ohio I thought did everything they could.

Indiana wasted 20 seconds on that last Kentucky possession. You're down by 1 with less than 35 seconds (so no shot clock), you have to either foul or pressure the ball.

Why? It's only the first half.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I get what your saying but offensive rebounds is probably the most overrated stat in basketball to the point where its almost not even worthwhile looking at.

Teams that win the offensive rebound battle win only about 55% of the time. Defensive rebounds is about 80%.

And the way UNC plays they are always going to get alot of offensive rebounds if they aren't shooting the ball well.

The only way Ohio was going to have a chance in the game was if they forced UNC into turnovers and not allow them to get out and run and that's exactly what they did. UNC is just more talented team then Ohio and the only reason it was close was because they didn't execute their gameplan as well as Ohio did. Ohio I thought did everything they could.

That's all well and good. All I'm saying is that when you're giving a team three or four extra chances on each offensive possession, you aren't going to win. I'm just not following how offensive rebounds can be overrated to "the point where they are almost not even worthwhile looking at."

Let's do the math. For the sake of argument (and to make the math easy for me) let's say that UNC had 20 offensive rebounds. That's 20 possessions where OU gave them at least a second chance to score.

Now let's change that stat to ten offensive rebounds for UNC. That gives OU an extra ten offensive possessions (and an extra 10 defensive rebounds.) Let's say that of those ten extra possessions, OU scores just two points on four of them. That's an extra eight points in the game for OU. Now let's say that of those extra ten possessions, OU hits a three on two of the four they score on. Now we're talking 10 extra points in the game for the Bobcats. How can that possibly not make a bit of difference?

BB52Big.jpg

Can we give Kansas' Elite 8 spot to Indiana or Ohio. I think they did more to earn one.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Great game between OU and UNC. Though Ohio's shooting was absolutely putrid in the first half. Cooper played like straight garbage. Got stuffed every time he drove the lane, and I've never seen someone take so many threes at least three feet behind the line with a defender in his face. His drive down the lane while up four and his eye ordeal probably cost us the game. And that free throw miss by Offutt. And all the foul trouble. Dammit what could've been...

Oh well, despite the criticism I'm still very proud of my Bobcats. Way to play a hell of a game.

Manchester-City-icon.png

Archived