2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

Not sure why that's in and of itself a bad thing. You want the best teams playing, don't you? If all the higher seeds are moving on, that must mean we're seeing the best remaining teams, right?

That's the logical approach, I guess, but the biggest reason why most people watch March Madness is to see thrilling upsets. Most of the games going chalk is kind of boring.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I think people have different reasons for watching college basketball. "Thrilling upsets" is one, gambling is another (and I think the interest in the former is a big component of the latter), but I also like to think people like sports. And generally, it's good to see the best teams to play each other.

There's a reason teams are seeded and a reason high seeds generally make it farther along than lower seeds. And it's not like seeding always bares out -- in point of fact, it's just been once (in 2008) that all four #1s made it to the Final Four.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Not sure why that's in and of itself a bad thing. You want the best teams playing, don't you? If all the higher seeds are moving on, that must mean we're seeing the best remaining teams, right?

That's the logical approach, I guess, but the biggest reason why most people watch March Madness is to see thrilling upsets. Most of the games going chalk is kind of boring.

I like the upsets in the first and second rounds, but once you get to the Sweet 16, I like seeing the better teams start winning out. VCU upsetting everybody is fun until you get into the Final Four and you have both Butler and VCU still playing along with a UConn team that underachieved all year.

IUe6Hvh.png

WHERE ARE YOUR TRENDY SLEEPER TEAMS NOW?!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Predicting the Sweet 16:

Kentucky def. Indiana

Baylor def. Xavier

Michigan St. def. Louisville

Florida def. Marquette

Wisconsin def. Syracuse

Ohio St. def. Cincinnati

North Carolina def. Ohio

Kansas def. NC State

(If this happens, I nail my all 8 of my bracket Elite Eight teams! /thatguy)

6uXNWAo.png

Predicting the Sweet 16:

Kentucky def. Indiana

Baylor def. Xavier

Michigan St. def. Louisville

Florida def. Marquette

Wisconsin def. Syracuse

Ohio St. def. Cincinnati

North Carolina def. Ohio

Kansas def. NC State

(If this happens, I nail my all 8 of my bracket Elite Eight teams! /thatguy)

That looks right to me, except I'd swap the outcomes of the bolded games.

I'm hoping Syracuse pulls it off against Wisconsin, but I think that might be homerism gone awry.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I know they haven't exactly been playing the top seeds, but Florida has looked very solid so far. One of the few teams to actually have convincing wins.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I know they haven't exactly been playing the top seeds, but Florida has looked very solid so far. One of the few teams to actually have convincing wins.

Yeah but who have they played?

Neither Virginia or Norfolk State I thought of as being that good.

Granted they have shown up in both games which some teams have not, but I don't see them getting past Marquette. Then again we will see.

Yeah. Given their talent, Florida should've been much more than a #7 seed, but they underachieved all regular season and deserved the seed they got.

On paper, they are much better than Virginia and certainly Norfolk St. The fact that they've won by 26 and 34 points should not be any surprise at all. Just hope they are ready for the huge uptick in competition they'll face in Marquette on Thursday.

That said, they have already won one important championship - the Battle of Florida. Usually, that's not too hard, but given the quality of the Seminoles this year, it was a tough battle. But they won head-to-head AND advanced further. So at least they have that in their back-pocket.

spacer.png

The Gators have been untested up to this point, having played a 10 and 15 seed over the weekend. Pretty sure they wont be "running over" Marquette in the Round of 16.

6uXNWAo.png

My Sweet 16 Predictions:

UK def. IU: Despite UK losing to IU earlier in the year, Kentucky will beat them convincingly.

Baylor def. Xavier: Baylor is too talented and experenced for Xavier to handle.

Louisville def. Sparty: Louisville has the momentium and defense to stun Michigan St, but it will be close.

Marquette def. FLA: MQ will smack the untested Gators big with Mr. Odom leading the charge.

Wisconsin def. SYC: The Fab-less Orange will finally meet their match against the tough Bo Ryan-led D of Wisconsin.

Ohio St. def. Cincy: Despite their destruction of FLA St., the Buckeyes are too tough for them to handle.

UNC def. Ohio: Ohio's nice run will come to an end against a very tough Tar Heels team.

NCST def. Kansas: This is the big Sweet 16 upset for me.

My Elite Eight is like this:

South: Baylor vs UK

West: MQ vs LOU (Rematch of Big East Tourament)

East: Wisconsin vs Ohio St. (B1G rematch)

Midwest: UNC vs NCST (Rematch of controvesial ACC Tourament game)

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Yeah, but they did this. I can't pick a team to go far at all if they did that. They rely too much on the 3 pointer to go too far.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

I am a bit surprised by how many of you are picking Wisconsin over Syracuse. It's a bad match matchup for Wisconsin...Cuse plays the same zone that Vandy used late and the Badgers could do nothing but launch 3s. Had Vandy done that the entire game, they'd have won easily. Will Wisconsin frustrate Syracuse's offense? Yes. But on the other end, you're going to see the Badgers launching three-pointers. That often results in "2 for 22 from distance". Unless someone comes out and knocks down 7-for-8 from downtown, the great defense will not overcome the two 5+ minute field goal droughts the Badgers will have. That's why Bo Ryan has had minimal success in the tourney; his teams rely on jump shots and they can't go six straight games without laying an egg. They've played quite well in two games, but they are going to need a shot in the arm from someone (like Rob Wilson vs. Indiana in the B10 Tourney) to overcome Syracuse's defense. I felt good going into the Vandy game. I do not feel good going into this one. Syracuse should win this one.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Sophmore Forward Kyle Cain has left the Arizona State Sun Devils. 11 Scholarship Players have left in the last 4 years. Losing seasons and players leaving should equal Sendek being fired. Losing Cain is a blow and I bet wherever he goes he will succeed if he can calm his attitude, he has shown that he has potential to be a good player. I want ASU to succeed, but with Sendek I am having my doubts. Harden was the only reason why they won in his heyday, but now with him gone, Sendek doesn't have anything to hold to get the Devils to win. Lisa Love should at least look into why Eleven players have left. First Erickson, now Sendek, the choice should have been made, but the upset over Arizona may have saved Sendek for another year of being a Head Coach for an under achieving team.

In the Illini tradition, they now look like total idiots. Smart says he's staying at VCU, so now the Illini will have to hire out to some 2nd/3rd tier of coach and awkwardly not offer them the same amenities they were going to throw at Smart. Great.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived