2011-12 NCAA Men's Basketball Thread

DCDuck

I had Missouri as my champion and St. Mary's in my Elite Eight, yet I'm still in the 99th percentile with a perfect East region, and correct upsets such as Ohio over Michigan, Colorado over UNLV, as well as VCU and NC State advancing.

I'm in first in the CCSLC pool, heh heh. :grin:

25yzwqg.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had Missouri as my champion and St. Mary's in my Elite Eight, yet I'm still in the 99th percentile with a perfect East region, and correct upsets such as Ohio over Michigan, Colorado over UNLV, as well as VCU and NC State advancing.

Nice going. However, I've done enough of these to know it's not how you start, but how you finish. ;)

6uXNWAo.png

Nice going. However, I've done enough of these to know it's not how you start, but how you finish. ;)

Luckily for me, I get to root for my Bearcats wholeheartedly; I had them losing to Mizzou in the NCG, but with Mizzou's ousting, I can root for Cincy with all I got.

I still have confidence in my other 3 Final Four (Cincinnati, VCU, and UNC), so I'm by no means declaring my bracket busted.

Also, I'm in a CBSSports pay-to-enter pool of 105. 1st place generally gets $300, second place gets $100, and third place like $25, but this varies by year. I'm currently in second place, and one of my family members who picked Lehigh is in fifth.

25yzwqg.png

Well I'm 53 out of 55 in our CCSLC group.

3 of my 4 are still around for the Final Four Kentucky, North Carolina, Florida State and Mizzou. I don't really care, no money on the line, I just want to see chaos and a Gonzaga/Murray State National Championship.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

That looked like another blown lane violation call. The Notre Dame player did not appear to be inside of the three point arc before the ball was released...

Xavier will advance.

edit: Watching it again, terrible call unless I'm wrong on that rule.

IUe6Hvh.png

That looked like another blown lane violation call. The Notre Dame player did not appear to be inside of the three point arc before the ball was released...

Xavier will advance.

Fairly certain it is when it hits the rim, not when it's released.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Xavier will advance.

Okay, makes sense. The commentator said when "the shooter releases the ball" so I was going with that as I didn't know myself.

IUe6Hvh.png

Xavier will advance.

Okay, makes sense. The commentator said when "the shooter releases the ball" so I was going with that as I didn't know myself.

It's weird. Entering the lane, it's before the ball is released. But crossing the three point arc, it's before the ball hits the rim.

LvZYtbZ.png

With Mizzou losing, this makes it easier for Louisville to reach to New Orleans this year. All they need is to beat New Mexico, Michigan State or St. Louis, and possibly Florida.

/Dicktrips against New Mexico

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

As the resident Ohio University Bobcat around these parts I'll take the time to brag about my university's basketball team. In the Last three years we've won tournament games as a 14 seed and as a 13 seed. I'm sure there's a few major conference power programs who don't have as many tournament wins in the last 5 years that we have, but I'm too lazy to look them up. I'll just say that I'm proud of my university and I'm glad that we were able to dispatch that silly university from up north. I'm sure our OSU brothers are happy for us.

PvO6ZWJ.png

As the resident Ohio University Bobcat around these parts I'll take the time to brag about my university's basketball team. In the Last three years we've won tournament games as a 14 seed and as a 13 seed. I'm sure there's a few major conference power programs who don't have as many tournament wins in the last 5 years that we have, but I'm too lazy to look them up. I'll just say that I'm proud of my university and I'm glad that we were able to dispatch that silly university from up north. I'm sure our OSU brothers are happy for us.

I certainly say bravo and thanks for taking that team up north out. It was great watching Michigan lose just in time to watch the last minute of Duke's downfall. Made my otherwise boring and uneventful day.

The Syracuse/Kansas State game is interesting. SU is clearly undersized, but Kansas State is pretty crappy at fundamentals. Missed passes, bad shots, turnovers, and dumb fouls.

I was worried when K-State opened up with a 9-2 run, but SU is 15-2 after that. A Sweet Sixteen appearance would be a good measure of success after the Fab Melo loss.

Separate topic -- given the success of mid-majors over the past few years, perhaps we can see them on TV more regularly? Their arenas aren't as nice, but I'd be interested in seeing the Murray States, Ohios, and others on TV more recently. If the talent gap has narrowed across conferences, perhaps the TV coverage can expand? We don't really need to see UCLA on CBS every weekend anymore, do we?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The trouble with basketball is that teams usually play two games a week, especially once the conference schedule begins. With all the big money ESPN is paying the SEC, ACC, and the other major conferences....they simply run out of time slots for the mid-majors. The mid-majors are pretty much stuck to playing at weird times (like the coveted 4am EST slot when ESPN does their 24 hours of non-stop basketball) or playing on local/regional networks. There's a reason why the MAC and WAC play a bunch of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday night football games...it's the only way they're gonna get on ESPN.

And, of course, ratings are also a big factor. Since "the average sports fan" doesn't tune in to college basketball much until after the Super Bowl, the big networks almost have to get the traditional powers on TV to get any sort of ratings.

Regional networks tend to be your best bet for tracking mid-majors. The MVC has a deal with Fox Sports Midwest IIRC for showing games as an example. There does seem to be a greater trend of migrating towards streaming sites as well for basketball.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Nice to see Cuse adjust to not having Melo. Next game's gonna be tough, but we're at least in the Sweet 16

I don't like their chances in the sweet sixteen. Having seen Wisconsin play many times this year, I can tell you that the formula is the same as it's always been. Good point guard, white guys who shoot threes, tall in the frontcourt, play slow as molasses. However, it's easier to run on them this year because they are less athletic and Taylor isn't taking care of the ball as well as he should be. MSU went on a 37-7 run at one point against them, and if we can do it, you could too. With Vanderbilt, I like Cuse's chances even less, because they are more athletic and shoot more consistently.

Both teams shoot the 3 well, and against the zone............ we'll see.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

Separate topic -- given the success of mid-majors over the past few years, perhaps we can see them on TV more regularly? Their arenas aren't as nice, but I'd be interested in seeing the Murray States, Ohios, and others on TV more recently. If the talent gap has narrowed across conferences, perhaps the TV coverage can expand? We don't really need to see UCLA on CBS every weekend anymore, do we?

The trouble with basketball is that teams usually play two games a week, especially once the conference schedule begins. With all the big money ESPN is paying the SEC, ACC, and the other major conferences....they simply run out of time slots for the mid-majors. The mid-majors are pretty much stuck to playing at weird times (like the coveted 4am EST slot when ESPN does their 24 hours of non-stop basketball) or playing on local/regional networks. There's a reason why the MAC and WAC play a bunch of Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday night football games...it's the only way they're gonna get on ESPN.

And, of course, ratings are also a big factor. Since "the average sports fan" doesn't tune in to college basketball much until after the Super Bowl, the big networks almost have to get the traditional powers on TV to get any sort of ratings.

Regional networks tend to be your best bet for tracking mid-majors. The MVC has a deal with Fox Sports Midwest IIRC for showing games as an example. There does seem to be a greater trend of migrating towards streaming sites as well for basketball.

While the regional networks typically only get the "third tier" game to produce themselves, Hedley is right regarding timeslots. Specifically for a mid-major in the Eastern or Central timezones, there are not many more slots available for plenty of coverage (aka ESPN family of networks). The MWC even illustrates that being on CBS Sports, NBC Sports or even their own network does not bode that well. The CAA signed a five year contract with NBC Sports last month, but it is for at least. 12 games/year. Still that's only a game a week.

One mid-major which seems to have succeeded in getting good coverage and a good contract is the West Coast Conference. Part of it is their recent success, but their location/time zone is more advantageous in terms for live exposure. They now get 48+ live games on the ESPN platforms.

Archived