Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/36514/olney-marlins-expected-to-land-reyes?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

ESPN Insider Buster Olney expects the Miami Marlins to sign Jose Reyes.

Money quote: "There is an expectation they will work something out with Reyes for something in the range of five years, $18-20M a year. They are seen as the team that's going to be most aggressive and he certainly fits the style that Ozzie Guillen loves to play. He loves to have a team that runs the bases aggressively, puts pressure on opposing defenses. Reyes would be a centerpiece for that with Hanley Ramirez moving to another position."

Projected lineup?

Jose Reyes - SS

Omar Infante - 2B

Hanley Ramirez - 3B

Mike Stanton - RF

Gaby Sanchez - 1B

Logan Morrison - LF

John Buck - C

Chris Coghlan - CF

Chris Coghlan may actually be out of a job soon. We may see Bonifacio in that role instead...But yeah, switch the 8-spot with Infante and I'd agree.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/36514/olney-marlins-expected-to-land-reyes?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Money quote: "There is an expectation they will work something out with Reyes for something in the range of five years, $18-20M a year. They are seen as the team that's going to be most aggressive and he certainly fits the style that Ozzie Guillen loves to play. He loves to have a team that runs the bases aggressively, puts pressure on opposing defenses. Reyes would be a centerpiece for that with Hanley Ramirez moving to another position."

Projected lineup?

Jose Reyes - SS

Omar Infante - 2B

Hanley Ramirez - 3B

Mike Stanton - RF

Gaby Sanchez - 1B

Logan Morrison - LF

John Buck - C

Chris Coghlan - CF

Mets dynamic ticket pricing next year better be by 1 get 2 free.

Oh and these Money Ball Sabremetric :censored: better start producing results by 2014.

There's no reason why the Mets shouldn't be at least a top ten team in terms of salary, and its looking like that's exactly what they are going to be.

They have to bring in a big time free agent now. You can't lose Jose Reyes in a market like New York, not do anything about it and expect your fans to be okay with it. Maybe they make a run at Albert and get a sign and trade thing with the Cardinals sending Ike Davis there. Maybe Yu Darvish. I don't know, but they have to get somebody.

There's no salary cap in baseball therefore sign and trade deals are rather pointless.

Projected lineup?

Jose Reyes - SS

Omar Infante - 2B

Hanley Ramirez - 3B

Mike Stanton - RF

Gaby Sanchez - 1B

Logan Morrison - LF

John Buck - C

Chris Coghlan - CF

Oh and these Money Ball Sabremetric :censored: better start producing results by 2014.

There's no reason why the Mets shouldn't be at least a top ten team in terms of salary, and its looking like that's exactly what they are going to be.

They have to bring in a big time free agent now. You can't lose Jose Reyes in a market like New York, not do anything about it and expect your fans to be okay with it. Maybe they make a run at Albert and get a sign and trade thing with the Cardinals sending Ike Davis there. Maybe Yu Darvish. I don't know, but they have to get somebody.

This isn't a knock on you, it's just that there's absolutely no reason for the Mets to trade away their young guys (Davis, Duda, Turner, etc.). The reason why the Mets have been in a hole is from overpaying for veteran free agents. If they stick to the youth movement they've got going on, they'll be in better shape a few years down the line from now rather than continuing what they've been doing the past couple of seasons. I know the Mets will lose Reyes, but this year they should focus on pitching a bit and let the position players develop, maybe add another infielder as a stopgap but not a long-term solution.

(Now Mark Sanchez to the Colts for the draft pick for Andrew Luck straight up.... :P )

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Projected lineup?

Jose Reyes - SS

Omar Infante - 2B

Hanley Ramirez - 3B

Mike Stanton - RF

Gaby Sanchez - 1B

Logan Morrison - LF

John Buck - C

Chris Coghlan - CF

This isn't a knock on you, it's just that there's absolutely no reason for the Mets to trade away their young guys (Davis, Duda, Turner, etc.). The reason why the Mets have been in a hole is from overpaying for veteran free agents. If they stick to the youth movement they've got going on, they'll be in better shape a few years down the line from now rather than continuing what they've been doing the past couple of seasons. I know the Mets will lose Reyes, but this year they should focus on pitching a bit and let the position players develop, maybe add another infielder as a stopgap but not a long-term solution.

(Now Mark Sanchez to the Colts for the draft pick for Andrew Luck straight up.... :P )

Baseball wise what your saying makes sense. The problem is that's not the only thing you have to consider. You cannot lose Jose Reyes and do nothing when you play in NYC, period. If that means you wind up overpaying for somebody then so be it. Most of the big contracts they have are gone, so they have no excuse at this point as to why they can't afford to pay somebody some monster bucks. They have to do something, anything otherwise Citi Field is going to become a ghost town.

Tyler Kepner

Official dollar figure for Papelbon's four-year Phillies contract: $50,000,058.

Jeremy Hellickson and Craig Kimbrel win the AL and NL Rookie of the Year awards.

It was gonna be either him or Freddie Freeman. Either way, glad to see that the Braves keep that trophy in-house for another season, and the future continues to get brighter.

You do know that it was Buster Posey who won the ROY award last year and not Heyward.

DLWatt.png

That's not a bad move. Longtime catcher, so he knows how to handle a game, and he's a member of the Cardinal Family

Just so long as he doesn't try to give the team hunting knife lessons.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

From what I'm reading, talks are really picking up between C.J. Wilson and the Angels.

Perfect spot for him to land. SoCal kid, just like Jered Weaver and Dan Haren.

Would a pretty solid 4 man rotation, with some prospects fighting it out for the 5th spot.

1. Jered Weaver RHP
  2. Dan Haren - RHP
  3. C.J. Wilson - LHP
  4. Ervin Santana - RHP
  5. Tyler Chatwood - RHP, Garrett Richards - RHP

Projected lineup?

Jose Reyes - SS

Omar Infante - 2B

Hanley Ramirez - 3B

Mike Stanton - RF

Gaby Sanchez - 1B

Logan Morrison - LF

John Buck - C

Chris Coghlan - CF

Baseball wise what your saying makes sense. The problem is that's not the only thing you have to consider. You cannot lose Jose Reyes and do nothing when you play in NYC, period. If that means you wind up overpaying for somebody then so be it. Most of the big contracts they have are gone, so they have no excuse at this point as to why they can't afford to pay somebody some monster bucks. They have to do something, anything otherwise Citi Field is going to become a ghost town.

Actually you can and the Mets should let Jose Reyes walk. He's nothing but an overpaid member of the DL Community. I'm sorry, but he hasn't stayed healthy long enough to even warrant being paid minimum salary. The problem with Mets is exactly what you said, they refuse to build from the ground up and keep going after over-priced questionable talent instead of developing their own. Yes, Jose Reyes is talented, but the Mets have realized whatever he makes he will be overpaid. Now if they are smart, they stick with a youth movement. Of course we all know that they won't, so the Mets will continue to suck year in and year out.

Actually you can and the Mets should let Jose Reyes walk. He's nothing but an overpaid member of the DL Community. I'm sorry, but he hasn't stayed healthy long enough to even warrant being paid minimum salary.

But honestly how much of that is Reyes' fault and how much of that is the fault of the Mets medical staff. A staff which has a documented history of mistreating and misdiagnosing injuries.

Actually you can and the Mets should let Jose Reyes walk. He's nothing but an overpaid member of the DL Community. I'm sorry, but he hasn't stayed healthy long enough to even warrant being paid minimum salary. The problem with Mets is exactly what you said, they refuse to build from the ground up and keep going after over-priced questionable talent instead of developing their own. Yes, Jose Reyes is talented, but the Mets have realized whatever he makes he will be overpaid. Now if they are smart, they stick with a youth movement. Of course we all know that they won't, so the Mets will continue to suck year in and year out.

If the Mets feel that the Marlins too much for Jose Reyes and they are better off without him, that's fine. But they have to bring in another star to replace and I mean have to. If they don't, they could finish last in the NL in attendance. As it is now the Mets fanbase is extremely apathetic because of the ownership because they feel the Wilpons have other motives outside of baseball in owning the Mets. Letting Jose Reyes go and not bringing in a big name to replace him is only going to further prove that theory.

This is more sending a message to your fans that your serious about spending money and winning, because right now most Met fans don't think the Wilpons are. They think they're holding onto the team to prevent themselves from becoming bankrupt and are simply trying to make the club as profitable as possible rather then win games.

I'm also not saying ditch the youth movement, or bring in four or five guys through free agency. But if Reyes leaves you do have to bring in somebody and he has to be a big name. If you don't you will lose what's left of your fanbase, and if I'm Bud Selig I'm starting to ask more questions. The Perez contract, Beltran contract, Rodriguez contract and Castillo contract are all off the books now, and you just lost another big contract in Jose Reyes. You also just laid off 10% of your front office staff. If your not running the Mets as a cash cow operation, then exactly what are you doing?

Actually you can and the Mets should let Jose Reyes walk. He's nothing but an overpaid member of the DL Community. I'm sorry, but he hasn't stayed healthy long enough to even warrant being paid minimum salary.

But honestly how much of that is Reyes' fault and how much of that is the fault of the Mets medical staff. A staff which has a documented history of mistreating and misdiagnosing injuries.

Totally they could have killed Ryan Church letting him fly with a concussion, as it is he was never the same.

Met doctors told Beltran his knee was fine, he went to the Rockies DR who said he had bone on bone and needed surgery or he would have wrecked his knee.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

From what I'm reading, talks are really picking up between C.J. Wilson and the Angels.

Perfect spot for him to land. SoCal kid, just like Jered Weaver and Dan Haren.

Would a pretty solid 4 man rotation, with some prospects fighting it out for the 5th spot.

1. Jered Weaver RHP
  2. Dan Haren - RHP
  3. C.J. Wilson - LHP
  4. Ervin Santana - RHP
  5. Tyler Chatwood - RHP, Garrett Richards - RHP

Jerome Williams actually looks primed to take a rotation spot for 2012. He pitched well last year and is having a really solid fall league in Venezuela.

The Marlins? offer to Reyes was six years, $90 million, according to one source; the team is declining comment. Obviously, the offer was not tempting enough for Reyes to accept immediately. But it was only a first offer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Jose-Reyes-Miami-Marlins-could-star-free-agent-opt-join-team-111411

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7239006/sides-close-major-league-baseball-labor-deal-sources-say

Among other things, (the deal) will pave the way for realignment of the sport into two 15-team leagues, adding a second wild-card team in each league, spreading interleague play throughout all six months of the regular season and making significant changes to the draft, free agency and the so-called "Competitive Balance Tax."

baltimoreravens.png

I'm really hoping the Yankees get Mark Buehrle. They could use another solid left hander, and he's been workhorse type material over the past few seasons. I think he'd thrive with the Yankees and be a great pick up. I think we can get him for a decent deal, less than Wilson, and he will end up working out well.

2ly2w09.jpg

MILWAUKEE ? Pleased with what he termed general manager Brian Cashman's "aggressiveness," the agent for free-agent pitcher C.J. Wilson said tonight that the Yankees have invited him to New York to meet with team decision-makers.

After meeting with Cashman this afternoon, Bob Garber refused to divulge whether figures were exchanged, though he said the meeting was productive. Garber also represents right-hander Roy Oswalt, though he said his meeting with Cashman focused mainly on the left-hander Wilson.

"I told him where we were at, they understood, and want us to come out," Garber said at the general managers' meetings. "I think it's a good fit. We have a lot of teams we have to narrow down. I think the Yankees are a team that we've narrowed down as a team we want to spend a little time with."

According to Garber, Cashman, director of pro personnel Billy Eppler and managing partner Hal Steinbrenner are expected at the meeting in New York.

Continue Reading

I'm really hoping the Yankees get Mark Buehrle. They could use another solid left hander, and he's been workhorse type material over the past few seasons. I think he'd thrive with the Yankees and be a great pick up. I think we can get him for a decent deal, less than Wilson, and he will end up working out well.

Yankees could never have too many LHPers, so...why not sign both? Pretty sure they are in the market for 2 starting pitchers.

1. CC Sabathia - LHP
  2. C.J. Wilson - LHP
  3. Ivan Nova - RHP
  4. Mark Buehrle - LHP
  5. A.J. Burnett - RHP

Archived