Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

Mariners got very good value in return for Pineda... Montero has the potential to be a great hitter in the MLB.

Except they could have had both Pineda AND Montero. Montero may have potential, but so does half the M's roster. Pineda's a solid pitcher. Thank you, Jackie Z, for another 4th place finish.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Montero better be as good as you guys say he is, because if anything (and I do mean anything), the M's need a good bat to finally smack some sense into the other hitters.

Too bad this comes at the expense of Pineda, who was one hell of a pitcher and would of been a great number 2 behind King Felix is Seattle. Now, it's still about Felix... but after that who knows.

I really don't see how this will benefit the Yankees in the sense that their offense is decrepit and OLD, and is the biggest reason why they lost against the Tigers last season.

Really, this just shows that they weren't a well constructed team even with their exorbitant payroll. As it is now, they lose their top position-player prospect who was expected to keep their lineup strong going forward - if they had kept him, their pitching staff would've been abominable and in no way constructed to keep them as a 95+ win team in 2012. They weren't going to get Garcia and Colon-esque miracles again.

Eh, I haven't given two sh/ts of baseball thought since the World Series ended, so what do I really know.

spacer.png

Montero better be as good as you guys say he is, because if anything (and I do mean anything), the M's need a good bat to finally smack some sense into the other hitters.

So much of his value comes from being able to stay at catcher, which he won't be able to do. He's a DH. He didn't have a great season last year (although there's some speculation in the prospect community that he'd become complacent at AAA)... I really, really don't like this deal for the Mariners.

Only reason not to like it is because Safeco is fricken enormous and is especially tough on right-handed hitters.

Montero looked quite excellent in an, admittedly, short stint with the Yankees. And despite the fact that Girardi seemed to love platooning him (which made little to no sense at all), he hit all three of his home runs against right handed pitching. He would've raked with the short porch in right.

spacer.png

Kuroda was my favorite pitcher who never got any run support at all. I saw his one-hitter on July 7, 2008 against the Braves (damn Teixeira). Also, he seemed to pitch every time we went to the game...

Agreed. And he seemed so loyal. Too bad Frank screwed this team so bad that we don't have money for Kuroda. Capuano and Harang...sigh.

I guess if you're gonna be a AAAA team for one season, you may as well have fun doing it.

True that. I'm interested to see just what the hell happens in wrigley with this team.

Also, here's what right field will look like. Odd.

espnchicago_r_cubs-addition_mb_576.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I guess if you're gonna be a AAAA team for one season, you may as well have fun doing it.

There is, I believe a Billy Beane quote, that you're either rebuilding or your contending... trying to do anything but those two things is pointless.

The Cubs intend to collapse six rows of bleachers into three and raise the seats, to improve the obstructed views into center field that slowed ticket sales there.

Marketing chief Wally Hayward said the area will be available for corporate outings and birthday parties and can accommodate up to 150 guests. The tickets will include food and drinks.

This reconfiguration won?t change the distance to hit a home run and shouldn?t impact wind patterns. These aren?t exactly the Green Monster seats dropped on top of Fenway Park. The bleachers will stay at the same height.

http://www.csnchicago.com/baseball-chicago-cubs/news/Cubs-pushing-Wrigley-Field-into-21st-cen?blockID=631480&feedID=7139

shrug.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

True that. I'm interested to see just what the hell happens in wrigley with this team.

It was nice of them to sub out the illustrations to Mrs. Patterson's third grade class.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Guy in the bottom row to the left... you're way too excited compared to everyone else for an outfielder throwing a ball into the stands after an out

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Joel Zumaya signs with the Twins.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120115&content_id=26355614&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

When I saw the price I was like that's a steal! I understand he has not been that great but why did he get signed for only $800,000?

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Archived