MY City Multi-Sport Contest

AnythingChicago

Don't be shy, folks. Voice your opinions.

I voted for myself (because I'm an egotistical son of a :censored: ) but I'd have to say Chapeeko's concept was my favorite. If the Cubs changed to that, I'd be happy. Some other good ones were the Rockies, Angels, and Rays to name a few.

I thought members of the competition couldn't cast a vote? I looked at the results of the poll first without voting then it told me that I had already cast my vote. I agree though, there are some very good concepts in this. The Rays, the Tigers minor-league, the Cubs, and the Pirates are just a few that come to mind off the top of my head.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted for myself (because I'm an egotistical son of a :censored: ) but I'd have to say Chapeeko's concept was my favorite. If the Cubs changed to that, I'd be happy. Some other good ones were the Rockies, Angels, and Rays to name a few.

I thought members of the competition couldn't cast a vote? I looked at the results of the poll first without voting then it told me that I had already cast my vote. I agree though, there are some very good concepts in this. The Rays, the Tigers minor-league, the Cubs, and the Pirates are just a few that come to mind off the top of my head.

Shoulda voted for Chapeeko's then. Thats how voting works, right? I voted for the Mudhens. It was the most original, thought out, and interesting concept imo. And it looked fantastic. I could find too many faults with the other concepts. A lot of really good concepts, but enough little details that bothered me. It looked like nearly every concept could have use a little constructive criticism and a 2nd draft.

Mine was the U of Portland Pilots. I'd love some feedback on it from people that checked it out. Its the only way to get better. And thanks for the 2 votes, whoever you are!!!

Mine was the U of Portland Pilots. I'd love some feedback on it from people that checked it out. Its the only way to get better. And thanks for the 2 votes, whoever you are!!!

I really enjoyed the third jersey on your Pilots concept. Very creative!

Shoulda voted for Chapeeko's then. Thats how voting works, right? I voted for the Mudhens. It was the most original, thought out, and interesting concept imo. And it looked fantastic. I could find too many faults with the other concepts. A lot of really good concepts, but enough little details that bothered me. It looked like nearly every concept could have use a little constructive criticism and a 2nd draft.

Well, much like you I think we would all appreciate the constructive criticism. What were the faults you found with the other concepts?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well, much like you I think we would all appreciate the constructive criticism. What were the faults you found with the other concepts?

I also liked Chapeeko's Cubs concept. My only complaints are that I would have kept the primary logo on the home jersey (putting the wordmark on the front would be like putting "Yankees" on their home unis IMO) and that I would have used red numbers for the road and blue alt.

My comments and critiques on the other concepts:

AnythingChicago's Orioles: The oriole head seems a bit too detailed to be placed on the breast of a jersey. Solid beyond that, though.

capitalcanuck's Diamondbacks: The cream alternate confuses me. Solid beyond that, though, and I really like the sleeves for the home and away.

Chapeeko's Cubs: I must laud you for the beautiful font you've given the cubs. It's beautiful. That said, the change made to the C confuses me. The original classic circular C would fit in perfect with the rest. In fact, it's the same C, just with a small serif added to the top. This seems unecessary. I'd stick with the classic C. Also, I agree that the logo should go on the home instead of the name. Everything else is beautiful.

drdougfresh's Mud Hens: You may have succeeded in professionalizing the jerseys, but to me they seem a bit... boring. Perhaps it's the tease of the introduction of orange for the outline of the numbers and cap logo, but the exclusion of it from the wordmark and piping. A little more orange might brighten it up a little. Besides that, the home and away just look a bit bland.

Griffinmarlins's Tigers: Did you have to put "Tigers" on the away jersey? I like the current Detroit script. Also, I think the navy D needs an orange outline to stand out more on a gray uniform, although that might just be the impression I get with the dark gray you went with. The home is fine, though, and I love the blue alternate.

Fox's Angels: Love the logo, the sleeve patch, and the return of the Anaheim script. The periwinkle is a bit much on its own, though. Coupled with a complete absense of red, and I can't agree with the choice of colors. Also, I'm unsure of the return to the halos on the caps, but even if they were included, why white and blue but not gold?

mbannon92's Rays: 'Tis an interesting direction merging the two styles together. The wordmarks are great, but too small. They get lost in the jersey. Also, the letters on the cap logo might be a bit too thick. Baby blue looks nice, but it seems to clash with the Devil Ray green.

Moseph's Orioles: Beautiful clean look. However, I would have liked to have seen you take that look into the alternate by applying different colors instead of making a new jersey template with different piping. Also, I'm mystified by the change in the Orioles script, which you made different, but so very similar that it took a second look to notice.

rsaline's Rockies: Solid looking wordmark. I love it. Would've liked to have seen a "Colorado" one included. Also, the R looks weird to me on the cap. Maybe it's the black letter on black cap. The primary logo needs a bit more white, perhaps in the place of lighter purple in the bottom.

SFGiants58's Pirates: The old pirate does look nice, but maybe an update like some coloring would be nice. I think if you took the poster away and added at least some gold, it would look better today. The uniforms themselves are solid, though.

StuckyDuck's Pilots: A very good looking design. My only comment would be the pinstriped plack on the alternate. In an old concept of mine I included a different-colored plack, and when I came back to it later, I realized that it looked like the area where the snaps are on a child's footy pajamas. It just comes out looking weird.

As for my own design, I think I suffered from the Mets doing almost everything I'd done after I created the concept. Also, I was unsure since it was a uniform contest about including logos, so I kinda threw them in and hid them on the side. If I can get my computer working to edit my future entries, I'll pay more attention to the logos.

Besides that, it looks very solid to me. Of course, that's because it's mine. I wouldn't have put it in if I didn't have a high opinion of it. It's hard to see the faults in your own designs. That's why we need others to comment and critique us.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I probably should have mentioned it in my PM to AnythingChicago. I'm in the middle of an MLB series where I chose from a color chart a unique color scheme for every team. For the Angels, I chose two-tone blue because I thought it would look great for a team called the Angels and they have some connection to it in the past.

AnythingChicago's Orioles: Seemed incredibly safe and unoriginal (that is going to be a recurring comment for a lot of concepts). Nothing I haven't already seen from the Orioles.

Diamondbacks: Same thing, too safe. And as someone else mentioned, where did the cream come from? Good looking concept, but 5 jerseys with 5 different logos/word marks? I like options and alternates, but that seems like over kill. And there is hardly anything that links the jerseys together. All different colors, all different logos, some vests, some not vests, etc. They do all look good though, they just get lost when there is 5 of them.

Cubs: I've heard a lot of love for this concept, but I'm not really feeling it. The wordmarks feel clunky and heavy. Same with the names on the back. And everything suffers from outline over kill. In fact, it may be the outlines that cause the clunky feeling, because that is normally a font I really like.

Mud Hens: This got my vote. I love the look and colors for this team. My only criticism is with the names on the back. The font you used feels too flat and I can't imagine it working for a player with a long name. I'd have used something a little more basic/classic. It wouldn't take away from the design at all.

Tigers: Nothing bad about this concept, except it looks incredibly safe and unoriginal. I could see the Tigers wearing this in a game and I wouldn't even notice that they got new jerseys. Maybe I just don't know baseball jerseys well enough. And are the road greys intentionally darker than normal, or by accident?

Angels: Love the creativity, love the halos, hate the color scheme. It just misses. Better to swing an miss than to not swing, as some other concepts did, but I just can't get behind two tone blue for the Angels. I like the red too much.

Rays: Very good. This was my second favorite. Love the green addition, but not sure I like the green with the light blue. Reminds me of the Denver Nuggets "Green Week" jerseys and eewwwww. It looks good when the blue is strictly a highlight color, but the blue alternate and even the blue brim on the cap just don't look right to me. Great merger of two eras though. But you took a chance, got creative, and I commend that. Slightly better execution and I probably would have voted for this.

Moseph's Orioles: Good concept, but again, incredibly safe and unoriginal. I love the orange jersey, but its something I feel like I've seen 100 times before. Same with the home and away, but even less original. Really nice template though.

Rockies: Good attempt, but it falls short in execution. The R logo looks unfinished and is way too big on the caps. The Rockies wordmark is a little too simple and it gets lost on the black and the purple jerseys. And the number font is weirdly elongated vertically, and kinda plain. I do really like the mountain logos a lot. Everything just looked like it needed one more round of revisions.

Pirates: Like the Tigers and Orioles concepts, the uniforms are incredibly safe and unoriginal. They aren't a concept, but more a rendering of what has been done before. The logos are ok, but the skull and crossbones bug me on the guy's hat and the circle logo could use a larger font in the white. Maybe increase the kerning on those letters so they aren't so squished together.

Self criticsim on the Pilots: I wish I had but names on the back. I played around with pinstripes on the white panel on the front of the hat, but decided it was too much pinstripes. But now I don't like the white panel without the pinstripes when the white jersey and pants do have the pinstripes. Should have kept the pinstriped hat. I am really happy with the P logo on the hat, I think the one they currently use in real life is UGLY. And the anchor/wheel logo is one of my favorite in all of sports (looks awesome at the center of a basketball court), so I tried to emphasize it on the uniforms. Its too detailed to be a cap logo, but it looks great on the breast of the jersey in my opinion. Happy with the way that turned out.

Overall, I think we got some really great concepts out of the first round, but I'm looking to see more risks taken in the later rounds. What sport is next?

I probably should have mentioned it in my PM to AnythingChicago. I'm in the middle of an MLB series where I chose from a color chart a unique color scheme for every team. For the Angels, I chose two-tone blue because I thought it would look great for a team called the Angels and they have some connection to it in the past.

You know, afterwards I wondered if that was you. There were a couple of MLB concepts going on at the same time as my seeing yours, so I was unsure if it was you or not. Still, though, did you try the gold halo and it not work, or just think the blue/white halo would look better?

AnythingChicago's Orioles: Seemed incredibly safe and unoriginal (that is going to be a recurring comment for a lot of concepts). Nothing I haven't already seen from the Orioles.

Diamondbacks: Same thing, too safe. And as someone else mentioned, where did the cream come from? Good looking concept, but 5 jerseys with 5 different logos/word marks? I like options and alternates, but that seems like over kill. And there is hardly anything that links the jerseys together. All different colors, all different logos, some vests, some not vests, etc. They do all look good though, they just get lost when there is 5 of them.

Cubs: I've heard a lot of love for this concept, but I'm not really feeling it. The wordmarks feel clunky and heavy. Same with the names on the back. And everything suffers from outline over kill. In fact, it may be the outlines that cause the clunky feeling, because that is normally a font I really like.

Mud Hens: This got my vote. I love the look and colors for this team. My only criticism is with the names on the back. The font you used feels too flat and I can't imagine it working for a player with a long name. I'd have used something a little more basic/classic. It wouldn't take away from the design at all.

Tigers: Nothing bad about this concept, except it looks incredibly safe and unoriginal. I could see the Tigers wearing this in a game and I wouldn't even notice that they got new jerseys. Maybe I just don't know baseball jerseys well enough. And are the road greys intentionally darker than normal, or by accident?

Angels: Love the creativity, love the halos, hate the color scheme. It just misses. Better to swing an miss than to not swing, as some other concepts did, but I just can't get behind two tone blue for the Angels. I like the red too much.

Rays: Very good. This was my second favorite. Love the green addition, but not sure I like the green with the light blue. Reminds me of the Denver Nuggets "Green Week" jerseys and eewwwww. It looks good when the blue is strictly a highlight color, but the blue alternate and even the blue brim on the cap just don't look right to me. Great merger of two eras though. But you took a chance, got creative, and I commend that. Slightly better execution and I probably would have voted for this.

Moseph's Orioles: Good concept, but again, incredibly safe and unoriginal. I love the orange jersey, but its something I feel like I've seen 100 times before. Same with the home and away, but even less original. Really nice template though.

Rockies: Good attempt, but it falls short in execution. The R logo looks unfinished and is way too big on the caps. The Rockies wordmark is a little too simple and it gets lost on the black and the purple jerseys. And the number font is weirdly elongated vertically, and kinda plain. I do really like the mountain logos a lot. Everything just looked like it needed one more round of revisions.

Pirates: Like the Tigers and Orioles concepts, the uniforms are incredibly safe and unoriginal. They aren't a concept, but more a rendering of what has been done before. The logos are ok, but the skull and crossbones bug me on the guy's hat and the circle logo could use a larger font in the white. Maybe increase the kerning on those letters so they aren't so squished together.

Self criticsim on the Pilots: I wish I had but names on the back. I played around with pinstripes on the white panel on the front of the hat, but decided it was too much pinstripes. But now I don't like the white panel without the pinstripes when the white jersey and pants do have the pinstripes. Should have kept the pinstriped hat. I am really happy with the P logo on the hat, I think the one they currently use in real life is UGLY. And the anchor/wheel logo is one of my favorite in all of sports (looks awesome at the center of a basketball court), so I tried to emphasize it on the uniforms. Its too detailed to be a cap logo, but it looks great on the breast of the jersey in my opinion. Happy with the way that turned out.

Overall, I think we got some really great concepts out of the first round, but I'm looking to see more risks taken in the later rounds. What sport is next?

Hehe. You copied my post and filled in didn't you? Not accusing. It's smart and I'd do the same thing. In fact, I copied AnythingChicago's post to write my original. I can tell because I didn't include my own concept in my list. ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hehe. You copied my post and filled in didn't you? Not accusing. It's smart and I'd do the same thing. In fact, I copied AnythingChicago's post to write my original. I can tell because I didn't include my own concept in my list. ;)

Basically. Didn't copy and paste, although I should have, woulda been quicker.

You know, afterwards I wondered if that was you. There were a couple of MLB concepts going on at the same time as my seeing yours, so I was unsure if it was you or not. Still, though, did you try the gold halo and it not work, or just think the blue/white halo would look better?

My thinking was that I wanted consistency. I wanted to have a gold halo on the blue hat, however I didn't think that a single-lined yellow halo would look good on the white hat, and that it needed to be blue. So for consistency's sake, on the blue hat I swithced the two colors and made the halo white. Looking back, I should have just ignored the idea of being consistent, and made the halo yellow on the blue hats and blue on the white hats. Consistent? No. Better Looking? Probably

Jesus! I need atleast one vote for respect guys. I didn't think it was that bad.

I know it's a shame when that happens. I actually thought your blue alternate was one of the highlights of the baseball round, but we didn't get a lot of voter turnout. I'm sure if we got more, you'd get a couple votes your way. Every once in a while, though, you've got to expect to get blanked. I've gotten blanked enough times to expect it. ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png

Archived