MY City Multi-Sport Contest

AnythingChicago

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the deadline was originally today, but I'm still waiting for concepts from drdougfresh, StuckeyDuck, and Silent Wind of Doom. So I'm extending the hockey deadline to Wednesday January 4 at 11:59 PM EST.

If those concepts are not received by then, your spots will be put up for auction. So sign up here, newbies. The first to sign up will be given capitalcanuck's spot, and the rest will be put on a waiting list until the deadline.

25yzwqg.png

Deadline is tonight. I am prepared to go with 10 or 11 people for the hockey round; StuckeyDuck has until midnight to send it in. But no later.

The hockey round will start tomorrow regardless. Good luck, and if you don't vote for UMBC, your votes don't count. :D

25yzwqg.png

65976419.png

ROUND 2 - HOCKEY

1. UMBC Retrievers (AnythingChicago)

2. Chicago Blackhawks (Chapeeko)

3. Windsor Spitfires (drdougfresh)

From the designer: I wanted to add a color to the Spitfires' scheme to pull them away from the Capitals (who they practically mirror right now), so I settled on a vintage white/gold. I added some of that to the primary logo to give it some life as well. Pretty straightforward here in terms of the jerseys. I updated the Renaud memorial patch to reflect how many years it has been since his passing (3 stars), and simplified it a bit. I placed this on all of the jerseys. The alternate is a fauxback of sorts-- the Spits haven't had a great uniform history, but I really liked their 1971-1975 logo, so I took that and used it as the base for this jersey.

4. Detroit Red Wings (Griffinmarlins)

5. Anaheim Ducks (Fox)

From the designer: This is the first hockey concept I've ever attempted. I picked the green and orange color scheme because I think it's an underused, awesome color scheme, that would be perfect for the Ducks. The logos that I used WERE NOT completely made by me. I used logos from the Quad City Mallards of the CHL.

The logo on the primary home and road sweaters is not only a duck holding a hockey stick, but it also forms an "A", which stands for Anaheim. The logo on the alternate sweater is a nod to the classic ducks logo, with a duck mask with interlocking hockey sticks behind it.

6. Tampa Bay Lightning (mbannon92)

7. Washington Capitals (Moseph)

8. Denver Pioneers (rsaline) Logos; home; away; home alt

From the designer: "For those of you who don't know, Denver University is a top-notch private school known athletically for their elite hockey team. They have won 4 NCAA Division-I Championships and welcome athletes from not only the entire nation, but also the world. In the college hockey world, DU is known for their fundamental style of play. For this reason. The jerseys are simple, nothing outrageous or off-the-wall, but also modernized to help relate to the youthful and energetic play the Pioneers provide for the city of Denver."

9. Pittsburgh Penguins (SFGiants58)

10. New York Islanders (Silent Wind of Doom)

May Round 2 begin! And thanks to drdougfresh for the awesome graphic. You'll notice that the typeface on SFGiants58's row is a little bit pixelated. That's because I had to do a tiny bit of recoloring on Paint to get rid of StuckeyDuck and capitalcanuck's row.

25yzwqg.png

My concept was the Anaheim Ducks, I'm not sure if the "Seattle Thunderbirds" was someone elses or what happened.

Also, my C&C of all of the other concepts:

-UMBC Retrievers: Looks very nice. The only thing that I don't like is that the mark on the alternate sweater has that "different but very similar effect." (If that makes any sense.) I've always thought that the mark on an alternate should be either the same as the primary or very different. But nothing wrong with the look of it, well done.

-Chicago Blackhawks: Pretty much flawless. Can't complain about it one bit. Bravo.

-Windsor Spitfires: Very creative, looks good. The only think I'm not sure about is the vintage white pants but overall it is fantastic.

-Detroit Red Wings: Nothing wrong with it, but it just looks like well... the Red Wings. Hate to say, but it lacks creativity.

-Tampa Bay Lightning: This would be a fantastic looks for the Bolts. Amazing concept. No complaints.

-Washington Capitals: Really well done, well thought out, and creative. The only thing I would have done differently is I wouldn't have included the Washington above Capitals because I think it's probably too small to read.

-Detroit Pioneers: Nothing wrong with it, but I don't know, it just doesn't catch my eye as much as other concepts in this set. Still, a very well done concept and it's really not bad looking. Risky choice for a color scheme, but pulled off quite nicely.

-Pittsburgh Penguins: Nothing wrong with it, it's just a little "safe." Frankly, this is probably a perfect set for the penguins right now, but I guess when I vote in contests like this I look for things that catch my eye as an "awesome" concept. But still, as I said, very nice, and it would be a perfect look for the Penguins to adopt right now.

-New York Islanders: Looks good. Nice choice in dropping the black alternate for an orange one. The home and roads are nice and clean. On the alternate, while creative, the logo is bugging me. It's hard to read the NY behind the fisherman. It's a logo that if it stood by itself, would not look good. (It's hard to explain, but what I mean by this is that it's easy for big sports fans to look at and like because they know what the islanders primary logo is. But for someone that has never seen it before, they may not be able to make out what is behind the fisherman)

Overall, some great work in this round. I haven't cast my vote yet but the ones that I'm considering giving my vote to are the Blackhawks, Spitfires, Lightning, or Capitals.

Can't wait to see more. What a great idea this contest was!

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Fox: I think I mixed up yours and chrisCLEMENT's entries for whatever reason-- so that's why it says Thunderbirds. My B.

Alright, didn't do it for baseball, so here's my hockey C&C's:

UMBC: Overall, a very nice look. That logo works perfectly on a hockey sweater. I just wish you wouldn't have used those weird stripes on the waist and sleeves. Not a fan of those. One other minor nitpick: I think the retriever would have looked better as a standalone logo on the alternate.

Blackhawks: My least favorite team in the entire NHL. That being said, this is a nice update. While I miss some of the color complexity of the primary, I like how sharp the recolor makes it. The one thing that's not working for me is the alternate. The white next to gold looks off to me, I almost wish the gold and white were flipped. Not sure, but it doesn't 'flow' as well as the H/A jerseys.

Red Wings: Obviously, I am going to be tougher on this one. It's just... blah. I get that our current uniforms are incredibly safe and traditional, but this is a step down (and not because it's different). They look like practice jerseys to me.

Ducks: Nice work for a first hockey jersey concept (though you're really not a rookie :P). I like the color change, and the logos work pretty well. The stick thing bothers me a little bit (though I appreciate the hidden A), because it looks like the Duck is sweeping. I like the alternate as well, but I think the Duck's head seems a little 'smushed'. This is still a really solid concept.

Lightning: Beautiful. The home is sharp, the away is solid, and the alt is a nod to the past. Love it. Great way to mix black in with what they have right now.

Denver Pioneers: This one is just OK to me. It's nothing special, really, but it's clean. The big thing that is bothering me is the outlining. The way the back name outlines bleed together, and the crest does the same thing, bothers me. It just muddles the look for me.

Capitals: Pretty nice, but those shoulder/yoke stripes make me think of the 70's/80's. I think if would look much, much better with horizontal sleeve stripes. I'm also not totally sold on the Caps going to a Canadiens template (though it wouldn't surprise me).

Penguins: Nice overall idea, but there are quite a few execution issues here, namely the numbers and the crests. The crests are entirely too large, and the numbers are too spaced-out. I'm not sure I'd like sleeve stripes that are that high up on the sleeves, though. it looks a little awkward. A few minor issues, but this is a nice idea, for sure.

Islanders: Pretty good, and I like the stripe touch on the shoulders. BUT, a monochrome orange alt? Man, that would be scary on the ice-- to me, a worse offense than a black alt. It's a nice design, but navy/royal pants work much better with that jersey color, IMO.

Much better work this round, I think. Can't wait to see the next 2 rounds!

Fox: I think I mixed up yours and chrisCLEMENT's entries for whatever reason-- so that's why it says Thunderbirds. My B.

No problem. Just for reference, the next two teams that I am doing are the Los Angeles Clippers and the Los Angeles Chargers.

I agree with what people are saying about the Wings. I honestly thought if I had modernized them, I would've been chased by an angry mob. That is the only reason I kept it safe.

I think that if you were doing an NHL series, keeping them classic would be the right way to go. However maybe it's just me, but in a contest, I look for a design that really stands out. Something that makes you say, "That's awesome." I see contests as a great time to take risks. There is honestly nothing wrong with your concept, it looks like a fine set for the Wings, it's just that in a contest like this it could be tough to harvest votes when up against concepts like those of the Blackhawks, Lighting, Caps, etc.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

There are some really nice sets here. I feel like I could have done more now, but I am still happy with it for my first NHL concept. Anyways, here is my C&C.

1. UMBC Retrievers (AnythingChicago)

This is definitely one of my favorites. The striping looks really nice, the colors go well, and I like the number font.

2. Chicago Blackhawks (Chapeeko)

Really nice update of a classic team, good job.

3. Windsor Spitfires (drdougfresh)

A really clean concept all around. I love that alternate, it is so simple and classy. You got my vote.

4. Detroit Red Wings (Griffinmarlins)

You did a good job, although I would have liked to have seen a full set. As others have said, it is extremely conservative and I would have liked to have seen something outside of the box

5. Anaheim Ducks (Fox)

Another nice set with a nice color scheme, although as someone else said the alternate logo looks squashed.

6. Tampa Bay Lightning (mbannon92)

Nice set, I could really see this out on the ice.

8. Denver Pioneers (rsaline) Logos; home; away; home alt

The chest logo and numbers seem big to me, otherwise it is a nice set.

9. Pittsburgh Penguins (SFGiants58)

Once again, shrink the numbers and logos a tad and it will look really nice.

10. New York Islanders (Silent Wind of Doom)

For some reason I can't view it.

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

UMBC Retrievers: I actually really like this, but the Bettman piping is killing me.

Chicago Blackhawks: Nothing revolutionary, but I like it. The addition of beige/sand is nice.

Windsor Spitfires: Another great one. However, the vintage white pants and the lack of hem stripes on the fauxback really hurts it.

Detroit Red Wings: I get your reasoning for not wanting to mess with tradition, but since it's a contest, I wish you would've.

Anaheim Ducks: A great effort for the first try. There are a few issues, though. The "A" the logo is supposed to from isn't very clear, those "stripes" by the neck underneath where the shoulder yoke would be (Boston has them) are useless without a shoulder yoke (it would be best to have nothing there), and the socks would be much better if they matched the jersey striping.

Tampa Bay Lightning: If you made the alt the home (and made a matching white to be the away) with the blue jersey as the alt, you had my vote.

Washington Capitals: Having "Washington" over the script is unnecessary, and if you're gonna use the Habs chest-stripes, make them go all the way around. Nice pants, though.

Denver Pioneers: Hockey jerseys typically don't have arched nameplates for a reason. Also, I don't like the font you used for the NOB; the "H" is indiscernible on the home. On the away, invert the white and sand/beige and that's a fantastic jersey. Finally, I wish you would've gone with straight hem stripes and not followed the curved waist of modern hockey jerseys.

Pittsburgh Penguins: This is a nice concept, but there are a few things "off" with it. The space between the numbers is too big, and the logo on the alt is huge. I would definitely like the Pens to go with this over their dull, Edge fill-tool disaster. I wished that you would've given the alt a different striping pattern, though.

New York Islanders: I like this, and the alt is great. However, the alt logo would've looked immensely better had you taken "NY" out of the circle and it was just the fisherman with the island in the background. IMO blue pants with orange socks would've been a better look (on the alt). Still a solid set, though - an orange NYI jersey looks better than I thought.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Bump. I'm gonna let the voting run until tonight; the vote total is way down from the baseball round. But it's almost time for the ten of us to start thinking about those basketball concepts. I'm setting the tentative deadline for Wednesday January 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM EST.

Good luck to all.

25yzwqg.png

Alright, voting is OVER. Final tally:

1. Windsor Spitfires (drdougfresh) (12 votes [41.38%])

2. Tampa Bay Lightning (mbannon92) (5 votes [17.24%])

3. UMBC Retrievers (AnythingChicago) (4 votes [13.79%])

4. Anaheim Ducks (Fox) (2 votes [6.90%])

5. Chicago Blackhawks (Chapeeko) (2 votes [6.90%])

6. Denver Pioneers (rsaline) (1 votes [3.45%])

7. Detroit Red Wings (Griffinmarlins) (1 votes [3.45%])

8. New York Islanders (Silent Wind of Doom) (1 votes [3.45%])

9. Pittsburgh Penguins (SFGiants58) (1 votes [3.45%])

10. Washington Capitals (Moseph) (0 votes [0.00%])

25yzwqg.png

Archived