Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

This does nothing to "change the culture" at Penn State as the NCAA said they wanted to correct. THe idiots still get to go to their games, and say how unfair the NCAA is and how great JoePa is, because, hey, RAH! RAH! RAH!

Disagree. The team will be a doormat for a long time, even after the 4 years, and there will be much less excitement. The games will still sell out, but it will no longer be a big-time program and there will be no hero worship. Games will end up being just something to do on a Saturday, as opposed to an "event". I think this does more to change the culture than a 1-year suspension. The combo of these sanctions plus suspension would effectively end the program, which really isn't in anyone's best interest (long term, at least.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just dreading how they're going to sell out every game and talk incessantly about "the healing process" and "WE ARE" and on and on. It's gonna be gross.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm just dreading how they're going to sell out every game and talk incessantly about "the healing process" and "WE ARE" and on and on. It's gonna be gross.

I'm curious to see if that happens. Students may be drunk and treat it like a regular game in an era in which this isn't happening, but I can't believe that it'll be as enthusiastic as it was. I guess it could be defended by saying that it's "we are (the "new") Penn State!", but we all know that's not what it's about. That's why I think that in a vacuum, the suspension would have made more sense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Big mistake. Vacating the wins was unnecessary. How could the NCAA vilify a dead man who was well respected? The NCAA needs to SERIOUSLY reconsider!!!

That's why you're mad about retconning his wins? Not becuase it's toothless fantasy twaddle?

Big mistake. Vacating the wins was unnecessary. How could the NCAA vilify a dead man who was well respected? The NCAA needs to SERIOUSLY reconsider!!!

That's why you're mad about retconning his wins? Not becuase it's toothless fantasy twaddle?

It's TrollHoJoe... he was willmorris before willmorris was willmorris.....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Big mistake. Vacating the wins was unnecessary. How could the NCAA vilify a dead man who was well respected?

Because he didn't respect innocent children by doing the right thing.

Don't. Reply. To. Him.

Its amazing to read the blog Black Shoe Diaries. First of all their logo is still JoePa's socks. Second I'll give them credit they seem semi-level headed but they still have their heads in the sand. They think everyone is out to get them, the Big Ten has been the worst thing for Penn State, and that the NCAA has no authority.

I say if they appeal or sue, kick them out of the NCAA. If they think the NCAA doesn't have the authority fair enough, you're no longer a member in our volunteer organization and you can go join the NAIA.

I'm sure they would never do that. At this point I don't think Penn State cares though, I think they are going to appeal or have someone sue on their behalf. There are already lawyers lining up...with Penn State degrees no doubt.

I think the punishment is fine but I think a 5-6 year bowl ban would have been better. Right now they are looking at recruits from next year being able to be in a bowl their senior year. They should have made it so no class for the next few years will be in a bowl.

Correction: Looks like they only have 15 scholarships per year for the next 4 years. That'll take care of any doubts I had.

Its amazing to read the blog Black Shoe Diaries. First of all their logo is still JoePa's socks. Second I'll give them credit they seem semi-level headed but they still have their heads in the sand. They think everyone is out to get them, the Big Ten has been the worst thing for Penn State, and that the NCAA has no authority.

I say if they appeal or sue, kick them out of the NCAA. If they think the NCAA doesn't have the authority fair enough, you're no longer a member in our volunteer organization and you can go join the NAIA.

I'm sure they would never do that. At this point I don't think Penn State cares though, I think they are going to appeal or have someone sue on their behalf. There are already lawyers lining up...with Penn State degrees no doubt.

I think the punishment is fine but I think a 5-6 year bowl ban would have been better. Right now they are looking at recruits from next year being able to be in a bowl their senior year. They should have made it so no class for the next few years will be in a bowl.

There will be no appeal. Emmert said in the press conference Penn State signed off on all of this.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

There will be no appeal. Emmert said in the press conference Penn State signed off on all of this.

Yeah I spoke too soon I just saw that.

Also I was wrong on the 15 scholarships. They will have 65 a year, 15 to offer per year instead of 25. That's significant.

Retconning the wins is silly, but so is the incessant blather from Paterno's family and loyalists about his "legacy". The vacating of wins is essentially an officially-sanctioned middle finger to all that, so I'm fine with that.

The monetary punishment is a blip, as we've discussed. The scholarship removals and bowl bans ensure that Penn State will be in the dumper well beyond their four years. Yokels in the stands or not, it probably takes them 10-15 years to approach being competitve again.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Maybe this is a little insensitive but it's not like Paterno's legacy was going to ever be the same anyway. Although without stripping the wins he would have been atop the all time wins leaders, he still would have been looked down upon by logical people everywhere.

I am interested in seeing this all play out. Hopefully it does end up worse than the death penalty, because it is deserved. I am not confident that it will though, and I am almost positive that the $60mil is going to be nothing when donations start pouring in.

Can the Big 10 hand out punishments too? I know they're having a press conference in 20 minutes.

16215.jpg

2503.jpg

5113.gif

787x.jpg

WVU '14

Can the Big 10 hand out punishments too? I know they're having a press conference in 20 minutes.

I don't see why not. I mean, Jim Delany was trying to have it where he could fire teams' coaches himself. They'll probably take away some Big Ten Network money. The real question is will they cover their own press conference? This has nothing to do with a celebration of college sports!

This does nothing to "change the culture" at Penn State as the NCAA said they wanted to correct. THe idiots still get to go to their games, and say how unfair the NCAA is and how great JoePa is, because, hey, RAH! RAH! RAH!

Disagree. The team will be a doormat for a long time, even after the 4 years, and there will be much less excitement. The games will still sell out, but it will no longer be a big-time program and there will be no hero worship. Games will end up being just something to do on a Saturday, as opposed to an "event". I think this does more to change the culture than a 1-year suspension. The combo of these sanctions plus suspension would effectively end the program, which really isn't in anyone's best interest (long term, at least.)

Agreed. Wish they'd gone for the full 5 years, but 4 with the massive scholarship loss will cripple the effectiveness of the program for a long time. And taking away old victories hits Paterno specifically as he's now been taken off the nationwide pedastal of most wins by a coach. Overall I think this may actually be more effective than a one year ban. Kudos to the NCAA for putting PSU in their place and showing that NO ONE can get away with this kind of depraved indifference to an unspeakable crime. Also, the $60 mil fine, which equals the football team's revenues in a year, being given to a charity for child abuse is the absolute cake topper. No one can say this punishment doesn't help victims.

Archived