Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

Whatever the penalties ultimately are, to some people (myself included), it won't be enough.

There must be a huge sigh of relief in Miami right now, because if this didn't rise to the standards of applying the death penalty, then nothing does.

So you don't know what they are, but you already know it's not enough to satisfy you.

I interpreted it as a reaction to "no football will be taken away", in which case I am willing to say it will not be enough. Or at least not the right punishment with the right message.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penn State knows they must distance themselves from the Paterno-Sandusky-era as much as possible, as quickly as possible. Even as upsetting to their fans as the removal of his statue might be, it was definitely the correct call moving forward.

6uXNWAo.png

Whatever the penalties ultimately are, to some people (myself included), it won't be enough.

There must be a huge sigh of relief in Miami right now, because if this didn't rise to the standards of applying the death penalty, then nothing does.

So you don't know what they are, but you already know it's not enough to satisfy you.

I interpreted it as a reaction to "no football will be taken away", in which case I am willing to say it will not be enough. Or at least not the right punishment with the right message.

Bingo.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

"Unprecedented" should not be interpreted as "severe" necessarily. We don't know yet, they could be so bad that "the death penalty may actually be preferable" as was earlier said, or they could not be. How about we just wait until tomorrow and see what they are before we all bitch and moan?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm willing to wait and see.

But if Penn State is allowed to continue its football program without any interruption, then I don't see how the penalty could possibly be harsh enough.

We may see another Juventus - supposedly a "stiff" penalty that they weather without much difficultly, returning to their old form in a couple years with almost no indication that they were ever punished in the first place.

We may see another Juventus - supposedly a "stiff" penalty that they weather without much difficultly, returning to their old form in a couple years with almost no indication that they were ever punished in the first place.

The NCAA would love that outcome. They can pat themselves on the back for doing something while also reaping the profits of Penn State coming back to their old form later on.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Unless I'm mistaken, the "death penalty" only means no season gets played, but that's it. They could feasibly play in postseason games the first season they return. They could feasibly keep all 85 scholarships. (I don't remember all the penalties SMU had.) All that gets missed is one season, and that's it.

Obviously, if you take away a significant number of scholarships and postseason appearances for an extended time (let's say five and ten years, respectively), that hits the school harder. PSU's rep is gonna take a huge hit as it is. Unless you're from Pennsylvania or the child of an alum, you probably don't have much of an interest in attending PSU out in the middle of Bumblefuuck. You no longer have the appeal of playing football with a legend of a coach.

Penn State was gonna have a hard time selling itself to recruits the day Paterno left, anyway. Factor that in with all the dark clouds over the school and whatever harsh penalties they receive.....I'd think it could absolutely be worse than a death penalty. No decent recruit is going to go play for a school that has no talent and can't play in any postseason games. They'll be a de facto FCS team.

I would almost guarantee that there's going to be some harsh financial penalty levied on PSU as well. Taking away their share of the Big Ten's TV money, taking away excess home-generated revenues (that is, PSU keeps enough to fund the athletics teams and sub-par paid coaches), etc.

pennstatestatue_4715-430x298.jpg
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Big Mistake.

I hope Penn State President Rodney Erickson and The

Board Of Trustees die a worse death than Paterno did..OF BEING REVILED,

DESECRATED, SLANDERED,LIBELED,HUMILIATED, DISHONOURED, REBUKED,

BELITTLED, DISPAIRAGED, ETC!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Big Mistake.

I was totally with you until you dropped the et cetera bomb. Yes, PSU deserves punishment, but I think et cetera is just a step too far.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

"Unprecedented" should not be interpreted as "severe" necessarily. We don't know yet, they could be so bad that "the death penalty may actually be preferable" as was earlier said, or they could not be. How about we just wait until tomorrow and see what they are before we all bitch and moan?

Are you serious? No matter what comes down from the NCAA, unless it's the total destruction of the town of State College (or even Pennsylvania itself), it will never be enough for some of these short sighted lynch mob enablers. Cause they are all about the 'victims' of Paterno...er...um...Sandusky.

Big Mistake.

I was totally with you until you dropped the et cetera bomb. Yes, PSU deserves punishment, but I think et cetera is just a step too far.

He's actually saying he hopes those currently punishing PSU get blah, blah, blah... etc.

He's either Joepologist or a troll. Either way he's an idiot.

Are you serious? No matter what comes down from the NCAA, unless it's the total destruction of the town of State College (or even Pennsylvania itself), it will never be enough for some of these short sighted lynch mob enablers. Cause they are all about the 'victims' of Paterno...er...um...Sandusky.

Hey I'm no expert, but if Paterno, the school president, et al, enabled Sandusky to do what they do, couldn't they in theory be charged as accomplises or co-conspirators (meaning they'd be just as guilty as Sandusky even if it wasn't their actual acts of rape? Just a thought.

:rolleyes:

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Well the AD, VP, are already charged with perjury and failure to report. The former Pres may also be looking at those charges as well.

As for the NCAA the penalties better be severe. You can't leak out that the penalties are unprecidented and "never seen anything like this" and they be toothless like the USC penalties. That makes the NCAA worse. But then again the NCAA is delusional and would probably do that.

Penalties probably need to be a significant scholarship reductions for the next 5+, post-season ban for at least 8 years, and a tv ban for duration of penalties. If you aren't going to shut down the program you have to at least give them a tv ban. Also make the, fork over 75% or more of the gate reciepts during this period to a fund for the victims families or a child service nonprofit that deals with abused children. Finally, direct NCAA oversight of compliance at Penn State for the next 10 years and a full investigation of any violations that may have occured during the Paterno era.

That I could live with no death penalty. As I said before PSU grew into a football cult that enabled Paterno and company to gain the power to let something like this happen. The supporters of the program need to be punished and crippling the program does that. I think if the PSU people had not reacted like they did there wouldn't be this push for NCAA penalties. The leaders at Penn State going to jail and Paterno dieing in shame would be enough. But the actions have shown that Penn State needs a complete culture change. You do that by killing/crippling the program going forward.

Statement from Paterno family in response to statue being removed from outside Penn St stadium

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. ? The statement issued by the family of Joe Paterno in response to the famed coach?s statue being removed from outside the Penn State football stadium:

Tearing down the statue of Joe Paterno does not serve the victims of Jerry Sandusky?s horrible crimes or help heal the Penn State Community. We believe the only way to help the victims is to uncover the full truth. The Freeh report, though it has been accepted by the media as the definitive conclusion on the Sandusky scandal, is the equivalent of an indictment ? a charging document written by a prosecutor ? and an incomplete and unofficial one at that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/statement-from-paterno-family-in-response-to-statue-being-removed-from-outside-penn-st-stadium/2012/07/22/gJQAVhVG2W_story.html?wprss=rss_social-nation-headlines&Post+generic=%3Ftid%3Dsm_twitter_washingtonpost

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

Is Joe Amendola also providing legal and public relations counsel for the Paterno family?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived