Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

These are the rumored penalties Penn State will get:

b5a9c2b9.jpg

I know the reports said no death penalty...but the rest of this looks about right...

That wipes Paterno off the top of the Division 1 Football wins list if true.

I noticed that as well. Get ready for the blather from the idiot Paternos in that case...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get ready for the blather from the idiot Paternos in that case...

Its just been open mouth insert foot with them ever since this scandal came to light.

Screw everything and everyone else. Just make sure the legacy of JoePa isn't effected by this. That seems to be the message with them.

I could rationalize the denial from them, but to be so public about it just reeks of arrogance. Add to it the fact that Joe Paterno got a $3 million severance package I don't see where they even get the right to be critical of anything regarding JoePa's legacy or how Penn State treats it. I don't know. Maybe they were hoping to squeeze $5 million of the deal. Either way, to get a good ol' boy deal like that on the way out and still be upset, that's BS.

I'm thinking the NCAA and Penn State may have cut a deal.

The NCAA is allowed to punish Penn State as it sees fit with no protest from Penn State, provided that the program is not shut down.

I think the other proviso is that it does not impact other Big Ten teams to fend off any push back from them. If the NCAA is going to turn Article 2.4 into it's own little Commerce Clause*, only with about a minute fraction of the federal government's enforcement and coercion ability, well this is not going to sit well with the Presidents of the NCAA's member institutions at all long term. So it would almost certainly behoove Emmert to not trample too many other toes right now. Voluntary membership works both ways, and the NCAA needs the Big Ten, Pac 12, Big XII, SEC, ACC, and Big East a heckuva lot more than they need it.

*-Passage in question: "for intercollegiate athletics to promote the character development of participants, to enhance the integrity of higher education and to promote civility in society, student-athletes, coaches, and all others associated with these athletics programs and events should adhere to such fundamental values as respect, fairness, civility, honesty and responsibility. These values should not only be manifest in athletics participation, but also in the broad spectrum of activities affecting the athletics program." A literal reading of that could result in a postseason ban for roughly 2/3rds of the NCAA's membership. At least. And University Presidents aren't idiots.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly, for all the cries of "precedent setting", in all likelihood this is just Mark Emmert's one blow for academia a la Myles Brand. Because that's all you need for a legacy. Everybody remembers and lionizes Brand for being the man bold enough to take down the dreaded Bobby Knight. They don't remember Brand for being the guy who sat back and let money take further control of major college athletics or the guy who laid the foundations of the very Oregon Ducks athletic department many have come to know and loathe.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

joe-paterno-statue-taken-down.jpg?w=420&h=316&crop=1

500c6adaa30d1.image.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Can someone be interviewed while in solitary confinement? I'd love to hear a sit down interview with Sandusky now, just to hear how he feels about being the catalyst for a formerly-legendary coach losing his entire legacy (and statue), numerous people losing their jobs and facing time, and the complete destruction of a formerly-storied powerhouse program.

Note that I'm not saying that it's Sandusky's fault. Joe and those others did this to themselves with their arrogance and poor judgement. Just saying that his actions were the catalyst.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

500c6adaa30d1.image.jpg

I wonder if they could have left the players in an attempt to put the focus more on the accomplishments of the innocent student athletes, and phase out the idolization of Paterno. One of the big problems here was that he was such an icon. You think Penn State football, you think Paterno. Getting rid of these statues and other symbols and shifting the focus to the players might help. Their accomplishments shouldn't be tainted or forgotten, even if his are and should be.

I think moving the Paterno statue into the athletic museum would be a good idea, with a large plaque next to it that reads like a bio, mentioning how long he was there and all that stuff, but then also highlighting what he did wrong and how his tenure ended. Put a lot of emphasis on that part. Let it serve as an educational piece for youngsters that go and see the statue and are forced to read the plaque.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sanctions:

$60 Million Fine

Vacated Wins from 98-11' including records

No Bowls for 4 years

25 scholarships to 15 for 4 Years

5 Year Probationary Period

Pretty much the "death" penalties we expected....

Edit: I also can't remember exact wording, but student athletes can transfer without penalty

They got off pretty easy. This is a big win for Penn State fans and the college-sportsies who didn't want their BCS rankings affected by Penn State forfeits.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sanctions:

$60 Million Fine

Vacated Wins from 98-01' including records

No Bowls for 4 years

Edit: I also can't remember exact wording, but student athletes can transfer without penalty

Who does that $60 Million go to and how is it spent?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Sanctions:

$60 Million Fine

No Bowls for 4 years

Per the statement:

"These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university."

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Sanctions:

$60 Million Fine

No Bowls for 4 years

The establishment of child-sexual-abuse support centers all across the country.

They got off pretty easy. This is a big win for Penn State fans and the college-sportsies who didn't want their BCS rankings affected by Penn State forfeits.

I'm far from a college football expert, but I think that this is worse than the death penalty (at least it's worse than a 1-season suspension.)

I think that a lot of the athletes wouldn't transfer if it was a single-season suspension, because they would still be able to come back next year and compete. It would also allow the new coaching staff a full year to implement their changes. I also don't think that recruiting would be affected that much, because recruits would still be able to compete for a title, and be a part of the "new era' of PSU football.

With these punishments, they won't be able to recruit as well because they can't offer as many scholarships, recruits know that they can't compete for bowls or titles, there will be more uncertainty and instability in the coaching staff as I'm sure that O'Brien is considering his other options right now, and they'll lose a ton of revenue due to the smaller TV audiences and less people flooding the town (the games will still sell out, but the games are draws for many more than just those who have tickets.)

So yeah - this is much worse IMO. Deserved, but worse. The only thing I totally disagree with is the vacating of records. You can't simply pretend that things didn't happen and that games weren't played. I feel that way about all situations - even ineligible players.

I'm glad they're doing that, but like rams80 said, Penn State can round up a few people to hand them $60 million in no time. Ironically, anyone who would lavish that much money on kids playing sports probably has child-molester tendencies himself.

I'd have done all that plus the year off.

You can't simply pretend that things didn't happen and that games weren't played. I feel that way about all situations - even ineligible players.

Yeah, this was an eye-roller for me. Not even the enormity of this case can get the NCAA away from its most favorite penalty: good old retconning!

p.s.: "enormity" is one of my favorite words to see people misuse

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This does nothing to "change the culture" at Penn State as the NCAA said they wanted to correct. THe idiots still get to go to their games, and say how unfair the NCAA is and how great JoePa is, because, hey, RAH! RAH! RAH!

All these penalties, plus a suspension of the program for one year would have been hammer needed to break the hold that the past Paterno football culture had on State College...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

It was just reported that Bill O'Brien has a clause in his contract that grants him more years if severe sanctions are levied. I'm not sure if there's also an out clause (though coaching contracts are pretty much worthless), but it looks like he at least considered this possibility and ensured that he couldn't get canned (without pay at least) if the team sucks for a while because of penalties that he had nothing to do with.

Archived