What jersey designs won't work with Reebok Edge?

Ark

For example, the Avs used these (triangular striping):

4733.gif

Before switching to this Edge template jersey:

pf22g15pfg91d297lq518lff0.gif

My question is, can the Avs go back to that older striping if they wanted to, and if they can't then why not? What makes that different from the horizonal stripes that go all the way around? Such as...

qgkpafl7m552vibx6fh3s572z.gif

Also, what about some of the more unique designs? Like this Sens one?

x2kfkvhx7fz1dguw8mnu8z6y3.gif

Among many others...

Well, discuss! And thanks for the answers if you know.

The initial company line on Reebok's Edge jerseys was that teams "couldn't" have horizontal striping any more, partially because the original plan called for the new jerseys to be tucked in, thereby eliminating hem striping. Sleeve striping couldn't be truly straight, because of the new contoured seams. Several teams like the Bruins, Rangers, Wings, and Blackhawks called bull :censored: at the outset, and got straight striping all around. Some teams, like the Canadiens and Kings, decided to just go along with the seams and implement the "wavy" sleeve striping. The Leafs apparently never got the memo about jerseys remaining untucked, and initially forgot to add hem stripes back to their sweaters.

The story I've heard on the Avalanche is the Reebok offered to retain the team's original striping, but the Avs decided to go for the cash grab of a new jersey and went with the current, lazy, template-friendly mess, which has the added ignominy of coinciding with the least-successful stretch in team history.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Teams had the freedom to do whatever the hell they wanted in the CCM era, but once Reebok Edge came in it all became template based. Unfortunately, a good few teams went for click-and-fill designs so we had teams like Ottawa, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay, and then Nashville, Edmonton and Florida all looking the same. Some of the more unique designs from the CCM era like Dallas, Colorado and that Ottawa jersey just did not transfer well to Edge uniforms, so they had to abandon their old designs (not sure why in Ottawa's case, their white jersey could easily have been Edgified).

Thankfully Edge has gone beyond its prototypical stage, and now we're seeing teams like Philadelphia who have moved away from their generic templates and going back to more unique designs. Having said this, I suddenly like the Flyers jerseys for being retroactively innovative, if that even makes sense.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The initial company line on Reebok's Edge jerseys was that teams "couldn't" have horizontal striping any more, partially because the original plan called for the new jerseys to be tucked in, thereby eliminating hem striping. Sleeve striping couldn't be truly straight, because of the new contoured seams. Several teams like the Bruins, Rangers, Wings, and Blackhawks called bull :censored: at the outset, and got straight striping all around. Some teams, like the Canadiens and Kings, decided to just go along with the seams and implement the "wavy" sleeve striping. The Leafs apparently never got the memo about jerseys remaining untucked, and initially forgot to add hem stripes back to their sweaters.

I absolutely loathe that wavy striping, check out NHL Uniforms.com to see how truly ridiculous it looks. Interestingly, the Bruins away jersey has both straight and wavy stripes (see the way the black cuffs don't line up with the sleeve stripes?).

bruins49.png

Looks truly bizarre.

The story I've heard on the Avalanche is the Reebok offered to retain the team's original striping, but the Avs decided to go for the cash grab of a new jersey and went with the current, lazy, template-friendly mess, which has the added ignominy of coinciding with the least-successful stretch in team history.

Exactly. Teams cashed in with different looks in the hope of bumping sales. They could have retained their signature elements had they any interest.

As much as I hate Reebok's templates, the fault here lies with the teams.

As much as I hate Reebok's templates, the fault here lies with the teams.

I remember watching the unveiling of the first Edge Leafs sweaters (uneventful affair that it was) and they had a Reebok rep on hand who commented that they had some modern ideas for the Leafs but the team wanted to keep the look traditional. If a team's adamant about keeping a design they can. They have final say.

Funny again how the anti-Reebok fanboys are out in force again, forgetting that the Nike Swift template was the impetus for the straighter form-fitting cuts in the first place.

Remember these?

Olympics+Day+15+Ice+Hockey+20MRUDWy2bhl.jpg

canada_2006_jersey_white_big.jpg

But they're cool, because of the swoosh.

:upside:

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Funny again how the anti-Reebok fanboys are out in force again, forgetting that the Nike Swift template was the impetus for the straighter form-fitting cuts in the first place.

Remember these?

Those jerseys looked a whole lot better on the players than they did laying down. The side stripes straightened out.

stock-photo-women-s-olympic-ice-hockey-competition-at-the-winter-olympics-in-turin-italy-sweden-v-canada-8826079.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The Edge template sucks. It's the epitome of unnecessary seams and panels, leading to bizarre striping like this:

Ducks03.png

It's always bothered me how the Ducks' bottom striping randomly ends at that side panel.

It doesn't look as bad in action as in that picture. You usually don't notice it unless they show a player from the left side and he lifts his arm up.

Can't we hate both?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Can't we hate both?

Yeah, I don't think anyone is picking one over the other. Lesser of two evils is still evil.

Remember these?

Funny, I remember this board exploding with glee because Sweden, one of two teams to not adopt Nike's swift uniforms for the 2006 Olympics at Torino, winning the whole damn thing, despite their clear disadvantage from not wearing performance-enhancing materials.

Nike's Swift rollout was uniformly bad. Reebok's Edge rollout was mostly bad. Just because we're in the process of damning one doesn't mean we're implicitly praising the other. Did Paul Lukas hack your account or something?

The Rangers winter classic jersey is one of the only two jerseys in the league wihtout the annoying shirt tail hemline.

1128-nyr-wc12side.png

The new Flyers WC is also like this. Now's a good time to start a new trend...

Are you sure this isn't just for the replica jerseys? For whatever reason, since the start of the Winter Classic, replicas have been made on the old CCM 550 cut with the old airknit material, even though they've worn Edge on-ice.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Remember these?

I mean, when you ask every player to tuck the jersey inside the pants, its obvious that:

1- You don't have a clue about what body movements hockey brings,

2- You don't have a clue about hockey traditions, thinking your company is more important then the sport itself.

Sorry, I hade the Reebok Edge styling. They brought fabrics et some innovation, but their styling is just not my cup of tea.

Archived