NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

The gray in the Seahawk logo should be green. It looks silly with that bright green stripe on the pants and the color is basically absent from the helmet. Also, the triangle on the sleeves should be green to maintain consistency with the blue jersey.

They're still a mess.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Imagine if the Seahawks had a bright green mask, Bears had orange, Steelers had yellow, Bucs and Giants had red.

I'd probably need to see a mockup or something before making a decision, but this sounds fantastic. Can't argue with these ideas.

A big ol' giant HELLL NAWWW to the Buccaneers' helmets having red facemasks.

Y'all can have the rest of that, though.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Imagine if the Seahawks had a bright green mask, Bears had orange, Steelers had yellow, Bucs and Giants had red.

I'd be a very happy football fan.

I'd probably need to see a mockup or something before making a decision, but this sounds fantastic. Can't argue with these ideas.

The only example I could think of using an orange facemask is The Frankfurt Galaxy. They used orange facemasks and it looked awful

GalaxyHelm.jpg

Dark helmets look better with matching dark facemasks. This is all my opinion of course, but facemasks that are a brighter color than the helmet shell are the baseball hats with colored eyelets of football. They belong in high school and not in the professional game.

There are two exceptions to my rule. White and gray facemasks look fine with dark helmet shells. In some cases they're preferable to matching the helmet shell.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah... that's bad. What they should have done was make the bottom stripe on the head green and use a silver/gray helmet. That way they would 1) incorporate more green, 2) make the rest of the logo pop more, and 3) pay tribute to the original logo with the green stripe on bottom.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm a Saints fan (and a Suck-aneers hater) and even I agree. It would look...minor league. Now I'm a proponent of colored facemasks (and anti-grey facemasks) but light-colored facemasks on darker helmets rarely works.

74-p-b.gif74-87.gif03-p.gifand if this one can count 00-p.gif

Common theme? Each facemask (usually) matches their respective pants.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I'd be a very happy football fan.

bears with orange? absolutely not. considering the club was founded in 1920 pre-facemask and their color scheme works perfectly using orange as minimal trim, it pops so well agains the navy...adding more orange to the helmet would absolutely ruin it.

I'm a Saints fan (and a Suck-aneers hater) and even I agree. It would look...minor league. Now I'm a proponent of colored facemasks (and anti-grey facemasks) but light-colored facemasks on darker helmets rarely works.

74-p-b.gif74-87.gif03-p.gifand if this one can count 00-p.gif

Here is my stance:

Colored facemasks are best when there are stripes on the helmets. Solid color helmets should have matching facemasks unless they are in the teams' secondard/tertiary color (Bucs, Patriots). Different color facemasks almost always look bad on solid color helmets because that is the only spot (other than the logo) where that color is used.

On the other hand, helmets with three or more stripes should have different color facemasks to tie in the helmet stripes. The Cowboys are the lone exception, as I think they would look better with a blue facemask, it is traditional and helps differentiate them from the Lions and Panthers. The Redskins' helmet would look off with a red facemask, because there is so much color on the striping.

Single stripe teams (Giants and Steelers) can go either way, but it's best to go with matching facemasks if the helmet is darker than a medium color. The Redskins look fine with yellow facemasks since there is so much yellow (and white) on the stripes, but the Steelers would look bad with a yellow facemask since the thin yellow stripe is the only yellow on their helmet other than the tiny bit on the one logo.

The Chiefs don't fit this rule, but that's because red is light enough where the white isn't overpowering, white facemasks on colored helmets are unique to them, and there is enough white in the logo to make it look right.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Steelers would be better off going back to the gray facemask if they made a change. It picks up the gray/silver in the logo incredibly well, and you know...the 70s.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

[helmets I posted emphasizing my point]

Here is my stance:

Colored facemasks are best when there are stripes on the helmets. Solid color helmets should have matching facemasks unless they are in the teams' secondard/tertiary color (Bucs, Patriots). Different color facemasks almost always look bad on solid color helmets because that is the only spot (other than the logo) where that color is used.

On the other hand, helmets with three or more stripes should have different color facemasks to tie in the helmet stripes. The Cowboys are the lone exception, as I think they would look better with a blue facemask, it is traditional and helps differentiate them from the Lions and Panthers. The Redskins' helmet would look off with a red facemask, because there is so much color on the striping.

Single stripe teams (Giants and Steelers) can go either way, but it's best to go with matching facemasks if the helmet is darker than a medium color. The Redskins look fine with yellow facemasks since there is so much yellow (and white) on the stripes, but the Steelers would look bad with a yellow facemask since the thin yellow stripe is the only yellow on their helmet other than the tiny bit on the one logo.

The Chiefs don't fit this rule, but that's because red is light enough where the white isn't overpowering, white facemasks on colored helmets are unique to them, and there is enough white in the logo to make it look right.

Wow, that's an overly-complicated POV. I bolded your quote because I wanted to know what you thought about this helmet, which I originally forgot to include.

95-05.gif

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I forgot about that since the Browns switched to gray facemasks. I think the white facemask worked much better for them. I think it was the perfect balance with the helmet, as brown would have made it look too dark (and might have looked black in such a small amount). It somehow accentuated the all-white uniforms while making it stand out on the rare occasions they wore brown. I think an orange facemask would look terrible with that helmet. I would put this Browns' helmet in the same category as the Chiefs' helmet.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I forgot about that since the Browns switched to gray facemasks. I think the white facemask worked much better for them. I think it was the perfect balance with the helmet, as brown would have made it look too dark (and might have looked back in such a small amount). It somehow accentuated the all-white uniforms while making it stand out on the rare occasions they wore brown. I think an orange facemask would look terrible with that helmet. I would put this Browns' helmet in the same category as the Chiefs' helmet.

Agreed. The white facemask just completed the uniform. The gray mask isn't bad, it's that the white facemask is a lot better, especially on a uniform that has a lot of white accents.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I've always felt that the gray facemasks work best the league's more storied franchises, especially the Browns and Giants. The use of gray -- to me, anyway -- is one way of embracing that history.

It's common on here to advocate that the Cardinals change from red to gray, but I disagree. The Cardinals have always, and always should be, a team with gray facemasks. If the gray facemasks don't fit with the uniform, then the uniform is the problem -- not the helmet.

Oh dear Lord here we go...yet the latest devolution into the Great (Grey Facemask) Debaters... :rolleyes:

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

To go back a page or so, here's why you can't put a red facemask on the Giants helmets:

eli.png

A. It's garish and is an overload of that color on that space.

B. You lose the tie-in with the gray pants. The gray facemask is the only other gray element on the uniform besides the gray pants. Without one, the other looks silly.

C. It just looks so freaking semi-pro

and now cue posters coming in with "I dunna know. I kinda like it".

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived