NIKE NFL Uniforms

29texan

But since the current uniform cut and design has basically been that way since the late 90's and both the NFL and NCAA use it and obliviously the players prefer it, wouldn't it just be smarter for teams like the Cowboys to start looking for a creative approach to this if they feel like they must have stripes instead of attempting to make the sleeves longer? Longer sleeves are gone and are not coming back.

QFT

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cowboys just need to switch to two solid navy stripes at home, and drop the royal altogether. The navy roads i dont really care about because it's rare that theyre worn, but the thin black stripes bother me more than anything, yet them not being there would be weird unless they switched to navy. I think going back to that classic serifed font would be cool

Why?

Because the no-sleeves look is atrocious. It's like the players' arms are coming out of two shoulder holes. The sleeve stripes on the Dallas jerseys don't even go all the way around, so what's the point? The stripes should never be above the front uni numbers.

But since the current uniform cut and design has basically been that way since the late 90's and both the NFL and NCAA use it and obliviously the players prefer it, wouldn't it just be smarter for teams like the Cowboys to start looking for a creative approach to this if they feel like they must have stripes instead of attempting to make the sleeves longer?

Who cares what they want? It's not as if short sleeves gives them a competitive advantage or superior on-field performance. Baseball players need to move their arms to bat, pitch and field their position, and remarkably they do all of these things in real sleeves. Football players are out of excuses.

Longer sleeves are gone and are not coming back.

Not true. Romo and several other QBs already wear the sleeve length I'm talking about. I'd just make their teammates join them.

Who cares what they want? It's not as if short sleeves gives them a competitive advantage or superior on-field performance. Baseball players need to move their arms to bat, pitch and field their position, and remarkably they do all of these things in real sleeves. Football players are out of excuses.

Not true. Romo and several other QBs already wear the sleeve length I'm talking about. I'd just make their teammates join them.

I believe this gentleman has lost his damn mind. :P

homeless-crazy-man-2.jpg

homeless-crazy-man-2.jpg

This.

homeless-crazy-man-2.jpg

Then so is Romo I guess. Jeez, you'd think I advocated for the return of leather helmets or something.

There was a game a few years back when the oh-so-funny Ochocinco thought it would be oh-so-funny to wear longer sleeves. If I recall correctly, they got grabbed so often that he came out in the second half with them taped up. So yes, it does give an advantage to all the positions where you want to get grabbed as little as possible. Which is...almost all of them.

There was a game a few years back when the oh-so-funny Ochocinco thought it would be oh-so-funny to wear longer sleeves. If I recall correctly, they got grabbed so often that he came out in the second half with them taped up. So yes, it does give an advantage to all the positions where you want to get grabbed as little as possible. Which is...almost all of them.

Then mandate that all players wear mid-bicep sleeves and eliminate the so-called "advantage." Or penalize a sleeve tackle as you would a horsecollar. Easy peezy.

For anyone watching the Chiefs vs. Packers on NFL Network right now, Green Bay backup QB Graham Harrell is in the game wearing a Reebok jersey that has the shoulder manufacturer logos blacked out with sharpie.

He had a Nike jersey on in the first half. Strange.

Maybe the jersey ripped or something and they quickly got a replacement from the locker room.

Per a note on Uni-Watch that is what happened - he got a rip in his Nike jersey and the only replacement they had for him was an old Reebok.

Seriously, football players don't/can't wear ripped jerseys any more?

The sport and society just keeps getting more and more feminized. Boo hoo, the QB got a rip on his jersey and a run in his panty hose.

Ripped jerseys in football used to be not only accepted, but encouraged. Now they need a new jersey when it gets a hole? Geesh.

50-24710-F.jpg

seriously are you senile?

ah yes the good ol' days which every older generation has romanticized about for millenia...

Hey, romanticizing about "good old days" that never really happened (or at the least, were only "good old days" for wealthy white old men) is how half the politicians in this country get elected.

By the why... ripped jerseys were not only accepted, but encouraged? Why in the hell would they be encouraged? Think about that half time speech... "All right, men... get out there and RIP YOUR JERSEYS!!"

Remember Joe Washington's greatest game, he was on the Baltimore Colts, and on Monday Night Football he had a kick return for a TD, rushed, received, and also passed for a TD that night as well. Maybe even more memorable was the frequency his jersey kept getting ripped off - remember the NFL allowed tearaway jerseys that year. The following year the NFL outlawed tearaway jerseys.

Why?

Because the no-sleeves look is atrocious. It's like the players' arms are coming out of two shoulder holes. The sleeve stripes on the Dallas jerseys don't even go all the way around, so what's the point? The stripes should never be above the front uni numbers.

But since the current uniform cut and design has basically been that way since the late 90's and both the NFL and NCAA use it and obliviously the players prefer it, wouldn't it just be smarter for teams like the Cowboys to start looking for a creative approach to this if they feel like they must have stripes instead of attempting to make the sleeves longer? Longer sleeves are gone and are not coming back.

Or, instead of dumbing everything down to that level and saying, "well, this is how it is so let it be," we could design something innovative that incorporates a comfortable, functional, snug sleeve that allows the sleeve to once again be used for design all the while eliminating the drawbacks of the traditional loose, flowy sleeve.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Then mandate that all players wear mid-bicep sleeves and eliminate the so-called "advantage." Or penalize a sleeve tackle as you would a horsecollar. Easy peezy.

I like the look of all NFL players wearing bowling shoes. They should just mandate it for everyone, since that would keep the playing field level. It doesn't matter if it slows players or the game down, I like the look. Mandate it. Easy peezy.

I like the look of all NFL players wearing bowling shoes. They should just mandate it for everyone, since that would keep the playing field level. It doesn't matter if it slows players or the game down, I like the look. Mandate it. Easy peezy.

Terrible analogy. Unlike sleeves, bowling shoes have never been a part of the NFL "wardrobe," and unlike a few ounces of fabric above one's elbows, bowling shoes would be difficult to play in.

I mean, seriously. They'll be wearing basketball type vests in a few years if something isn't done.

cowboysmilessideline1wa.jpg

Why?

Or, instead of dumbing everything down to that level and saying, "well, this is how it is so let it be," we could design something innovative that incorporates a comfortable, functional, snug sleeve that allows the sleeve to once again be used for design all the while eliminating the drawbacks of the traditional loose, flowy sleeve.

Hey, Andrew, how come every time you, me, or someone else advocates the longer-but-tight sleeve, a solution that effectively eliminates the argument about the no sleeve look being about performance (and not just about vain players wanting to show off their tats and guns), it gets no response from the other side at all? Too perfect a solution, I guess.

Long sleeves never looked good on football uniforms anyway, and big-ass, generic striping patterns like what the Steelers, Lions, and Browns use haven't aged well.

A minority opinion, I'm sure. Nothing's worse than the present-day "wifebeater tee-shirt" look.

Archived